Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 21, 2024, 2:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Testimony is Evidence
RE: Testimony is Evidence
(August 22, 2017 at 5:37 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(August 22, 2017 at 5:35 pm)Alex K Wrote: Heleeeer Suzie!

... can I see your dragon?

They are invisible, damn it. But they are theeeere, feel the dragon spirit flowing through you.

Man, I can't catch a break. Finally a girl is willing to show me hers, and it's invisible!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(August 22, 2017 at 12:44 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(August 22, 2017 at 8:45 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: You still haven't responded to this. There's a point I'm making here.

You didn't give much to go on. You didn't say what you saw, and that seems to contradict your claim that it is invisible. I wouldn't consider that very good testimony.

Ah, so testimony is not always good evidence then. Thanks.

(August 22, 2017 at 11:22 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote:
(August 22, 2017 at 8:45 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: You still haven't responded to this. There's a point I'm making here.

Ask me again after you've been martyred for seeing an invisible dragon.

... or when you gave your life defending the ideals of the Third Reich. Martyrdom is no metric of truth.

(August 22, 2017 at 3:17 pm)SteveII Wrote: Most of the time you don't get physical evidence--especially for events. So, the best evidence possible is often going to be testimonial evidence.

Wait, you mean to say physical events don't usually leave physical evidence?

Expand upon that, please. This should be interesting.

Quote:Ask me again after you've been martyred for seeing an invisible dragon.

Ask me again when you can prove anyone was martyred for seeing a man rise from the dead . And when the martyr stories after are not bullshit .

http://www.richardcarrier.info/archives/9978

https://celsus.blog/2012/12/18/48/

Quote:Most of the time you don't get physical evidence--especially for events. So, the best evidence possible is often going to be testimonial evidence.

Nope the only but worst possible evidence will be testimonial evidence . This is a flaw to be overcome not embraced .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

*sighs heavily* Yes, RR, testimony is indeed evidence.

Very weak evidence.

Testimony has to be framed in terms of possibility and plausibility. If I say I went out for lunch with my friend John, that's both possible and plausible. If I say that John and I flew to Madrid for lunch, that's possible but implausible. If I say we got picked up by Dr. Who in the TARDIS, went to 11th century Madrid for lunch, and my guardian dragon Glori came along with us, I'd expect you to laugh at me.
(August 22, 2017 at 11:22 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote:

Ask me again after you've been martyred for seeing an invisible dragon.

How many people gave witness testimony after being martyred?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Why are we still talking about this? LoadPlunger is going to great lengths to ignore every point and question put to him. Why humor him if he's not going to humor the rest of us?
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
No one here seemed skeptical of the unfortunate loss of Brett Favre's Superbowl ring and it's near miraculous recovery some time later during my Gavilyte cleanout leading up to my colonoscopy, so I'd assert some testimony can be so compelling on it's face as to mute all suspicions to the contrary.

Alas, however, the Christians have never bothered to work their claims at that level.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

If you'd shat a Super Bowl ring from the Brett, you would have been all over the Internet about it.

#caseclosed

(August 22, 2017 at 8:12 pm)Astreja Wrote: *sighs heavily*  Yes, RR, testimony is indeed evidence.

Very weak evidence.

Testimony has to be framed in terms of possibility and plausibility.  If I say I went out for lunch with my friend John, that's both possible and plausible.  If I say that John and I flew to Madrid for lunch, that's possible but implausible.  If I say we got picked up by Dr. Who in the TARDIS, went to 11th century Madrid for lunch, and my guardian dragon Glori came along with us, I'd expect you to laugh at me.

This is exactly what I've been trying to say to RR across three threads, and you just said it more plainly and succinctly than my five brain cells working together ever could, lol.  THANK YOU.  😁
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(August 22, 2017 at 5:18 pm)paulpablo Wrote: CCTV footage, audio recording, DNA, fingerprints, all examples of evidence that's more reliable than witness testimony.

We get that. It's RR, Steve-o and others of their ilk who don't. They want to elevate testimony at least to the level of physical evidence, if not above it. At least Steve-o is transparent in his motives. He wants hearsay to be accepted as testimony and testimony to be accepted as at least as good as physical evidence so his belief in fairy tales can be more easily justified. I suspect the same of RR despite his protestations. He claims to be interested in the atheist perspective because so he claims to have never heard of this viewpoint outside of atheism. Of course this is a lie since it has been pointed out to him that courts are starting to caution jurists on the pitfalls of witness testimony.

What I don't understand is why they don't just trot out the old "gawd sed it, I buleeve it, that setles it" argument. Then we can just point, laugh and move the fuck on.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Neurosurgeon Provides Evidence Against Materialism Guard of Guardians 41 4743 June 17, 2019 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12676 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Testimony: Are we being hypocritical? LadyForCamus 86 9623 November 22, 2017 at 11:37 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true? Mudhammam 268 34128 February 3, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Anecdotal Evidence RoadRunner79 395 56228 December 14, 2016 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities? joseph_ 150 13074 September 3, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The nature of evidence Wryetui 150 15990 May 6, 2016 at 6:21 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Witness Evidence RoadRunner79 248 37802 December 17, 2015 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence RoadRunner79 184 31275 November 13, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Miracles are useless as evidence Pizza 0 1252 March 15, 2015 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Pizza