Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 21, 2024, 4:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Testimony is Evidence
RE: Testimony is Evidence
The most clever and compelling lies are the ones we tell ourselves.  Just food for thought.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 22, 2017 at 10:49 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Just a note, but repeating your claim over and over again, chest thumping, and name calling, are not the makings of an intelligent or reasoned belief.  However I note; they do tend to show up quite a bit as atheist arguments.

Actually, they are arguments against bullshit in general, not only against the God idea.  I would not accept testimony as evidence for:
-aliens on Earth
-ghosts
-magic
-healing powers of crystals
-niggers is unruly, soulless savages
-old lady Smith in the old house is a witch

Please note that we do not thump chests and call names exclusively.  We've given you infinitely more consideration, despite the general desperation and lack of merit in your argument, than a theist site would have given us.  We've explained pretty clearly why we generally don't consider testimony very good evidence, and why religious testimony is particularly lacking in value.

By the way, you completely ignored my testimony on Jesus' cock-gobbling ways. Was this deliberate? I mean, testimony is evidence, and I feel you are deliberately ignoring that evidence. Why would you do that?
(August 22, 2017 at 10:59 pm)Khemikal Wrote: The most clever and compelling lies are the ones we tell ourselves.  Just food for thought.

Indeed

jesus, what is it about Brian, it's not like I was in love with him . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

She'll be with me forever.  

Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 22, 2017 at 10:58 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(August 22, 2017 at 10:41 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: As was stated in the OP... I agree.  

Then you'll understand why nonbelievers don't accept testimony they cannot verify. Testimony needs backup -- even with you, clearly.

Unfortunately I'm guessing he will not and on the dance will go.
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(August 22, 2017 at 11:02 pm)Khemikal Wrote: She'll be with me forever.  

Wink

[Image: %257E+Brokeback+Mountain+12.JPG]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

What I find paticularly interesting here, is the number of criticisms which state I am ignoring the evidence, which comes in the form of testimony, when the same people are arguing that I shouldn't accept testimony as evidence. The psychology and logical abilities of some people is fascinating!
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
"Hur dur, anything people say is testimony."  

Jerkoff
(August 22, 2017 at 11:36 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: What I find paticularly interesting here, is the number of criticisms which state I am ignoring the evidence, which comes in the form of testimony, when the same people are arguing that I shouldn't  accept testimony as evidence. The psychology and logical abilities  of some people is fascinating!

You ask for testimony and reject it, and then you laugh because people present testimony. Cognitive dissonance much?

Thump, you're not saying what RR wants to hear, therefore it's evil and also wrong.  You'll realize it one day, insha allah.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Neurosurgeon Provides Evidence Against Materialism Guard of Guardians 41 4743 June 17, 2019 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12677 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Testimony: Are we being hypocritical? LadyForCamus 86 9623 November 22, 2017 at 11:37 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true? Mudhammam 268 34131 February 3, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Anecdotal Evidence RoadRunner79 395 56239 December 14, 2016 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities? joseph_ 150 13119 September 3, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The nature of evidence Wryetui 150 15993 May 6, 2016 at 6:21 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Witness Evidence RoadRunner79 248 37802 December 17, 2015 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence RoadRunner79 184 31275 November 13, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Miracles are useless as evidence Pizza 0 1252 March 15, 2015 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Pizza