Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 3, 2024, 11:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading?
RE: Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading?
(September 14, 2017 at 10:36 am)Huggy74 Wrote:
(September 13, 2017 at 1:59 pm)Secular Elf Wrote: The all powerful Judeo-Christian god, the ancient Canaanite war god, the supposed creator of the universe, did not lift one finger to save nine people in a church, IN A CHURCH, HIS CHURCH, from a white racist asshole.   There is some evidence for you.  What is one to think?  Either this supposed being does not exist, or it is a monster, or a racist, or both.

He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all--how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? - Romans 8:32

Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints. - Psalm 116:15

Ooo, eee, ooo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang - The Witch Doctor
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Quote:-Gospel of Mark -not until around 70

You know what is really amusing about that, LfC, is that the primary reason for dating "mark" around 70 is because that's when Jerusalem was sacked by Titus and the temple burned, according to Josephus.  Scholars who use the 70 AD date don't accept the idea that "jesus" could "prophecise" the destruction of the temple but at the same time still insist that the fucker climbed out of his grave and flew up to fucking heaven.

Being a theologian means convincing yourself of a lot of stupid shit.
(September 13, 2017 at 2:11 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(September 13, 2017 at 1:55 pm)Harry Nevis Wrote: Of course that's your understanding.  That isn't the understanding of objective scholars, but if you already decided it's the word of god from the get-go, you can explain away anything you want.

If I am missing something, and you would like to add facts or reasoning to the discussion, then lets examine it.  Also is your meaning of "objective scholars" those who agree with you?

May I ask you a question, RR?  Steve too, if he's still following:

On the whole, do you find the contents of the Bible to be reliable, high-quality testimony?  Why, or why not?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Quote:Now you guys can no longer say that evidence has not been presented.
Yes we can because it has not

And RR has nothing but straw men .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

What is clear here -- and what the Pigeon Chess Academy fails to acknowledge -- is that the so-called evidence is not up to our evidentiary standards.

If anything, I think we should raise those standards even more rather than lowering them to assuage the fee-fees of the flock. When dealing with an actual god, as opposed to a pretend one, said god should have no difficulty meeting the most stringent criteria that mortals can devise.

Not looking good for the theists.
(September 14, 2017 at 3:13 pm)Astreja Wrote: What is clear here -- and what the Pigeon Chess Academy fails to acknowledge -- is that the so-called evidence is not up to our evidentiary standards.

If anything, I think we should raise those standards even more rather than lowering them to assuage the fee-fees of the flock.  When dealing with an actual god, as opposed to a pretend one, said god should have no difficulty meeting the most stringent criteria that mortals can devise.

As it is, Yahweh fails the slackest of standards. It matters not a bit to me that Christians have talked themselves into believing they have standards. They're wrong and no amount of desperate sophistry will change that.
(September 14, 2017 at 3:13 pm)Astreja Wrote: What is clear here -- and what the Pigeon Chess Academy fails to acknowledge -- is that the so-called evidence is not up to our evidentiary standards.

If anything, I think we should raise those standards even more rather than lowering them to assuage the fee-fees of the flock.  When dealing with an actual god, as opposed to a pretend one, said god should have no difficulty meeting the most stringent criteria that mortals can devise.

Funny how their standards for evidence change, to other stuff that contradicts their bible, they have higher standards than anyone on earth. Stuff born from real research work, nor cummunal Jerkoff
(September 14, 2017 at 4:00 pm)LastPoet Wrote:

Funny how their standards for evidence change, to other stuff that contradicts their bible, they have higher standards than anyone on earth. Stuff born from real research work, nor cummunal Jerkoff

And if it is perceived of as "fringe" because a majority of humans on Earth don't accept it (even if part of the reason for that is that they don't know anything about it), then it is a "conspiracy theory" on par with other great conspiracies. Like Alien abductions, the moon landing, 9/11 truthers, or the conspiracy that the thing on Trump's head really is his hair. Phsssssh, as if.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(September 14, 2017 at 4:07 pm)TheBeardedDude Wrote: And if it is perceived of as "fringe" because a majority of humans on Earth don't accept it (even if part of the reason for that is that they don't know anything about it), then it is a "conspiracy theory" on par with other great conspiracies. Like Alien abductions, the moon landing, 9/11 truthers, or the conspiracy that the thing on Trump's head really is his hair. Phsssssh, as if.

You forgot the Jews. Never forget the jews. they have their jew fingers everywhere.
(September 14, 2017 at 4:13 pm)LastPoet Wrote:
(September 14, 2017 at 4:07 pm)TheBeardedDude Wrote: And if it is perceived of as "fringe" because a majority of humans on Earth don't accept it (even if part of the reason for that is that they don't know anything about it), then it is a "conspiracy theory" on par with other great conspiracies. Like Alien abductions, the moon landing, 9/11 truthers, or the conspiracy that the thing on Trump's head really is his hair. Phsssssh, as if.

You forgot the Jews. Never forget the jews. they have their jew fingers everywhere.

Or the new Jews, the Muslims. The brand new scapegoat for international conspiracy against Christians.
[Image: giphy.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 91851 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4991 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 39257 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 29317 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 21257 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6167 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? SteveII 643 139306 August 12, 2017 at 1:36 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Um, should we do anything special today (Maundy Thursday) ?? vorlon13 27 5280 April 14, 2017 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Evidence: The Gathering Randy Carson 530 94094 September 25, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: abaris
  With Science and Archaeology and Miracle's evidence for God TheThinkingCatholic 35 11446 September 20, 2015 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut