Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 1, 2024, 12:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emotions are intrinsically good and bad
RE: Emotions are intrinsically good and bad
(October 4, 2017 at 1:06 am)Succubus Wrote:
(October 4, 2017 at 12:17 am)Transcended Dimensions Wrote: You should never dismiss my profound wisdom.  After all, this is a life lesson that I have learned through struggling much of my life with horrible misery and emotional trauma.  Perhaps I just need to be someone highly intelligent in order to articulate my idea correctly.  Maybe that is the reason why people are calling BS on it.  I think that if I was someone highly intelligent and could get my life lesson across, that people would be very fascinated by it and would take deep consideration into it.  They would really wonder if it is true.

Ya'll are having your chains yanked.

Shhhhhh don't tell the troll we know it's a troll.  It might wander away and leave us with nothing to do.
(October 4, 2017 at 2:26 am)bennyboy Wrote:
(October 4, 2017 at 1:06 am)Succubus Wrote: Ya'll are having your chains yanked.

Shhhhhh don't tell the troll we know it's a troll.  It might wander away and leave us with nothing to do.

I'm not joking.  So, I am not trying to be a troll here.  I am very serious.  My personal experience was very powerful, profound, and absolutely, 100% compelling for me.  My worldview is, thus, based upon an experience that is undeniable for me.  Why else would I have talked and engaged so extensively?  Remember, personal experience is often times a source of profound insight and wisdom.  Many ideas that people believed were false and someone came along who had a personal experience that gave him/her great insight.  Such insight revolutionized the world.
(October 4, 2017 at 12:20 am)Astonished Wrote:
(October 4, 2017 at 12:17 am)Transcended Dimensions Wrote: You should never dismiss my profound wisdom.  After all, this is a life lesson that I have learned through struggling much of my life with horrible misery and emotional trauma.  Perhaps I just need to be someone highly intelligent in order to articulate my idea correctly.  Maybe that is the reason why people are calling BS on it.  I think that if I was someone highly intelligent and could get my life lesson across, that people would be very fascinated by it and would take deep consideration into it.  They would really wonder if it is true.

I can't even laugh at how wonderfully stupid that was. I mean, I've never conversed with someone who knows what their own prostate tastes like, and how many licks it takes to get to the center of it, and have never wanted to, but you've gone and made yourself known. At least wash your tongue before you keep talking.

I know I have been dressing my whole worldview up with all of these in depth explanations that are confusing and incoherent to many people.  Therefore, let me present my worldview at its very core.  When something matters to you in a good way such as that helping someone is a good idea from your point of view, then that is actually an emotional state.  It is a euphoric state.  Likewise, when something matters to you in a bad way, then that is a dysphoric state.  Without your euphoria, then nothing can matter to you in a good way and without your dysphoria, nothing can matter to you in a bad way.  This is because our emotions are forms of motivation that make things matter to us. 

For people to believe otherwise means they have the wrong definition of something mattering to them.  The fact is, without emotions (our euphoria and dysphoria), then nothing can matter to us at all and you would be deluding yourself to believe otherwise.  Sure, you could still acknowledge certain things and decisions as being good in the absence of your euphoria and you could certainly acknowledge the idea of certain things and situations being bad in the absence of your dysphoria.  But you would only be acknowledging these good and bad values rather than perceiving them. 

Perceiving these values is something entirely different.   It is the euphoric and dysphoric states themselves.  It would be, in a way, like having a whole new sense that allows you to see the good and bad values in life just as how the sense of sight allows us to visualize colors.  As long as you are blind and cannot visualize these colors, you could certainly acknowledge these colors anyway.  But you would have none of these colors in your life.  There would be no real red, blue, green, etc. in your life just as how there would be no good or bad value in your life in the absence of your euphoria and dysphoria.

Quote:Your worldview is still plainly untrue by reference to all of the things that "matter in a good way" to people even if they don't cause euphoria.  Flushing the john doesn't fill me with the light of god.  Paying my taxes doesn't take me to climax.

These people would either have to have euphoria on some minute level then even though they don't realize it or they could just be dragging their lives on without these things mattering to them.  If you lived your life without having any euphoria and dysphoria and you claimed that to be a life that mattered to you in a good or bad way, then that would be no different than someone just forcing themselves to eat something even though they did not feel hungry.  If the person claimed he/she was hungry anyway, then that would be a lie.  He/she would be believing in a false definition of hungry.
Your worldview is still plainly untrue by reference to all of the things that "matter in a good way" to people even if they don't cause euphoria.  Flushing the john doesn't fill me with the light of god.  Paying my taxes doesn't take me to climax.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 4, 2017 at 5:41 am)Transcended Dimensions Wrote: I'm not joking.  So, I am not trying to be a troll here.  I am very serious.  My personal experience was very powerful, profound, and absolutely, 100% compelling for me.  My worldview is, thus, based upon an experience that is undeniable for me.  Why else would I have talked and engaged so extensively?  Remember, personal experience is often times a source of profound insight and wisdom.  Many ideas that people believed were false and someone came along who had a personal experience that gave him/her great insight.  Such insight revolutionized the world.
Yeah, but "Subjective feelings are objective" is unlikely to be one of those, because people know how dictionaries work. It's not even that your ideas about the world are bad-- it's that you are trying to pull a religious trick sans dieu and make something what it isn't by declaration.
(October 4, 2017 at 8:12 am)Khemikal Wrote: Your worldview is still plainly untrue by reference to all of the things that "matter in a good way" to people even if they don't cause euphoria.  Flushing the john doesn't fill me with the light of god.  Paying my taxes doesn't take me to climax.

These people would either have to have euphoria on some minute level then even though they don't realize it or they could just be dragging their lives on without these things mattering to them.  If you lived your life without having any euphoria and dysphoria and you claimed that to be a life that mattered to you in a good or bad way, then that would be no different than someone just forcing themselves to eat something even though they did not feel hungry.  If the person claimed he/she was hungry anyway, then that would be a lie.  He/she would be believing in a false definition of hungry.
How much time are you going to waste, trying to convince me...that I feel euphoria, when I flush?

I don't live my life absent of euphoric and dysphoric states. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who does. I still don't hear the heavenly choir come tuesday the 17th.

The thing to do, when it;s clear that something in ones worldview is laughably wrong, is to change that thing. Not to insist that, somehow, all must conform to your mistake.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 4, 2017 at 8:23 am)Khemikal Wrote: How much time are you going to waste, trying to convince me...that I feel euphoria, when I flush?

I don't live my life absent of euphoric and dysphoric states.  You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who does.  I still don't hear the heavenly choir come tuesday the 17th.

The thing to do, when it;s clear that something in ones worldview is laughably wrong, is to change that thing.  Not to insist that, somehow, all must conform to your mistake.

It just has to be true somehow.  I know what I've experienced and been through.
Oh, well, if it just has to be......

Rolleyes

You know what? I don;t think that you -do- know what you've experienced and been through. Your comments sound like shithouse psychology devoid of any factual substance or professional opinions. If I had to guess, you're a person who suffered and doesn;t know why, or how, or the machanism of that suffering. A person who doesn't understand their own emotional response, let alone the emotional response of all human beings and it's subsequent moral value.
(October 4, 2017 at 8:35 am)Khemikal Wrote: Oh, well, if it just has to be......

Rolleyes

You know what?  I don;t think that you -do- know what you've experienced and been through.  Your comments sound like shithouse psychology devoid of any factual substance or professional opinions.

Then tell me what I have experienced and been through from your knowledgeable point of view.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can too much respect be bad? Fake Messiah 48 5866 January 14, 2020 at 11:28 am
Last Post: roofinggiant
  Technology, Good or Bad Overall? ColdComfort 41 6818 July 7, 2019 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  There are no higher emotions/values Transcended Dimensions 58 13253 April 30, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
Wink Emoticons are Intrinsically Good and Evil Fireball 4 1247 October 21, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Succubus
  Name one objectively bad person ErGingerbreadMandude 57 15887 October 16, 2017 at 3:47 am
Last Post: Ignorant
  Is there a logical, rational reason why hate is bad? WisdomOfTheTrees 27 4256 February 4, 2017 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Is developing a strong habit of philosophizing bad for your social skills? Edwardo Piet 31 4733 May 25, 2016 at 8:22 am
Last Post: Gemini
Smile a bad person Sappho 30 5751 December 8, 2015 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  The bad guy Marsellus Wallace 18 5802 July 28, 2015 at 8:15 am
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
Bug Do Fruit Flies Have Emotions? Hatshepsut 28 3769 May 16, 2015 at 7:56 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger