Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 4, 2024, 7:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emotions are intrinsically good and bad
RE: Emotions are intrinsically good and bad
Stop. Just stop. For the love of fuck. Please. Stop.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
(October 5, 2017 at 8:50 pm)Astonished Wrote: Stop. Just stop. For the love of fuck. Please. Stop.

I will continue without mercy for you or anyone else.
Game on, bitch.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
(October 5, 2017 at 6:24 pm)Transcended Dimensions Wrote:
(October 5, 2017 at 5:49 pm)Khemikal Wrote: Yup, you're definitely the emotional cripple in the equation.  You can't do what others are plainly capable of doing.  You can't see what others are plainly capable of seeing.

Some worldview, some transcendence.  Did you keep the receipt?

On 2nd thought, perhaps you are right here.  From my perspective, I thought that people who struggled with hopelessness and misery such as those miserable genius artists were simply living by a false definition of a positive experience and good value/beauty in their lives when there was no actual quality of it there.  But you are saying that there was an actual quality of it there for them and that I do not have this quality due to my disability.  That quality is what I metaphorically described as being the inner light.  The inner light is a quality of sheer goodness and positivity itself that goes beyond words.  It would be no different than how a blind person cannot have any real quality of red, green, or blue in his life and can only live by the words red, green, and blue in his mind since he cannot visualize those colors.  For me, my own inner light and inner darkness would be my positive and negative emotions while the inner light and inner darkness for other people would be something different.
Then your satisfaction is indicative of nothing in particular, and the concept of Real Good™ and delusions of good is incoherent.  Your satisfaction is your satisfaction.  Nothing further.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 5, 2017 at 6:24 pm)Transcended Dimensions Wrote:
(October 5, 2017 at 5:49 pm)Khemikal Wrote: Yup, you're definitely the emotional cripple in the equation.  You can't do what others are plainly capable of doing.  You can't see what others are plainly capable of seeing.

Some worldview, some transcendence.  Did you keep the receipt?

On 2nd thought, perhaps you are right here.  From my perspective, I thought that people who struggled with hopelessness and misery such as those miserable genius artists were simply living by a false definition of a positive experience and good value/beauty in their lives when there was no actual quality of it there.  But you are saying that there was an actual quality of it there for them and that I do not have this quality due to my disability.  That quality is what I metaphorically described as being the inner light.  The inner light is a quality of sheer goodness and positivity itself that goes beyond words.  It would be no different than how a blind person cannot have any real quality of red, green, or blue in his life and can only live by the words red, green, and blue in his mind since he cannot visualize those colors.  For me, my own inner light and inner darkness would be my positive and negative emotions while the inner light and inner darkness for other people would be something different.

Oh, I see what this is.

I also enjoy LSD.
(October 6, 2017 at 12:34 am)Khemikal Wrote:
(October 5, 2017 at 6:24 pm)Transcended Dimensions Wrote: On 2nd thought, perhaps you are right here.  From my perspective, I thought that people who struggled with hopelessness and misery such as those miserable genius artists were simply living by a false definition of a positive experience and good value/beauty in their lives when there was no actual quality of it there.  But you are saying that there was an actual quality of it there for them and that I do not have this quality due to my disability.  That quality is what I metaphorically described as being the inner light.  The inner light is a quality of sheer goodness and positivity itself that goes beyond words.  It would be no different than how a blind person cannot have any real quality of red, green, or blue in his life and can only live by the words red, green, and blue in his mind since he cannot visualize those colors.  For me, my own inner light and inner darkness would be my positive and negative emotions while the inner light and inner darkness for other people would be something different.
Then your satisfaction is indicative of nothing in particular, and the concept of Real Good™ and delusions of good is incoherent.  Your satisfaction is your satisfaction.  Nothing further.

So, you found my assertion of positive emotions being the only real good in life for every single human being incoherent and I can understand this.  But if you are also saying that what I just said there was incoherent in regards to my inner light being my positive emotions and their inner light being something else, then it is simply beyond your comprehension.  If you find this whole concept of a quality of good (an inner light) incoherent, then it is simply beyond your understanding.  I think I have made perfect sense and that what I have said is coherent.  But it would be like explaining the magnificent powers of god or something entirely new that people cannot relate to, understand, or comprehend.  Another example would be people who have near death experiences.  They have whole new experiences that are bizarre.  It doesn't matter how well they relay these experiences; no one would be able to understand or comprehend. 

This is because it's something beyond words.  I am trying to explain the idea of an inner light (a quality of goodness, love, joy, and beauty) that is beyond words and perhaps this is the reason why others cannot comprehend it.  All I can say to you here is that this inner light is the most powerful, profound, and beautiful thing that we all need in our lives.  Without it, our lives would truly be empty and we would be living by nothing more than just these empty words of goodness, love, joy, and beauty going through our minds.  It wouldn't be any real version of those things in our lives; only a mechanistic (i.e. "dead" and "empty") definition devoid of any real quality of those things.  With all of this being said, it doesn't matter how coherent I am in my explanations; no one would be able to understand or comprehend either.  I will just give one last example here.  Try to explain the concept of empathy to a sociopath who does not understand it since he/she cannot relate to it or comprehend it.  It doesn't matter how well and coherent you explain it to him/her; that sociopath would still not be able to comprehend it.
So, back to the basic shit, then?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 6, 2017 at 7:34 am)Khemikal Wrote: So, back to the basic shit, then?

If I were to do a rewrite that makes more sense, then here it is:

[b]Brief Description Of My Worldview/Philosophy/Theory:  This is a world changing view that would enlighten and awaken humanity to their positive emotions which are the only light to our lives and artistic endeavors.  I do not think that I am better, special, or superior to anyone when saying this.  Rather, it is the power of the inner light which is truly special.  Therefore, I am not exalting myself here.  Instead, I am exalting the power of the inner light when I say that it is truly the only thing that gives our lives good value, joy, and beauty.

[/b]I would like to share to you my worldview which is based upon my own personal experience.  My positive emotions are the only way for me to live and be a composer.  Without them, then my life is empty. Positive emotions are states induced by the brain's biochemicals (i.e. serotonin, dopamine, endorphins, and oxytocin).  Positive emotions at an intense level can be described as euphoria, bliss, or ecstasy.  They could be feelings of love, profound joy and beauty, excitement such as from getting a new movie, a feeling of sexual arousal, etc.  Negative emotions would be feelings such as anger, sadness, misery, despair, hate, grief, etc. 

I have had many miserable moments in my life and these were the worst emotional states of my life.  During these moments, I believed that getting help was something good and beautiful.  But, at the same time, I could clearly tell that my life was still empty and was still the worst life regardless of what I believed.  This means that something other than a mere belief or mindset is required to make one's life truly perceived as good and beautiful.  It requires a state of mind that possesses a positive quality to it.  There is a big difference between definitions and qualities.  You can define water to be inside an empty glass, but that will not make water appear in that glass.  You could also define yourself as having sight when you are blind, but that would still not give you actual sight.

As you can see here, definitions alone do not change the reality of our inner universe.  As long as you define your life as being something good and beautiful when there is no positive quality there, then your life is still empty.  This positive quality is what I metaphorically describe as being the inner light.  My positive emotions are my inner light while my negative emotions are my inner darkness.  I have never had any other form of the inner light and inner darkness besides my positive and negative emotions.  Our positive and negative emotions could really be the only inner light and inner darkness.  This would have to mean that all those miserable artists who had no positive emotions were only deluding themselves through a false definition of a positive state of mind as well as their lives somehow still being good and beautiful.

Or, they could have had a small degree of positive emotion mixed in with their misery to at least give their lives some real good values.  Another possibility is that they had another form of the inner light.  But that was obviously not the case with me.  I could have a disability which prevents me from having any other form of inner light and inner darkness in my life.  I have always been a special needs person who was not capable of what others were able to do.  But like I was saying, those miserable states were the absolute worst form of inner darkness in my life.  Once I have fully recovered from them, then my whole entire mental reality (atmosphere) changes to the realm of the light, so to speak.  This is the realm of joy, goodness, love, and beauty I need to be in.  As long as I am in the realm of the darkness or in the realm of neither light nor darkness, then it is no way to live or be an artist for me.

With all of this being said, I have come to realize that the inner light is truly the most vital and precious thing to our inner universe.  Sure, the inner darkness can certainly inspire you to create works of art.  But the inner darkness can only make your life horrible.  The darkness can only see bad and the light can only see good.  Therefore, it is the light we need in our lives to truly make our lives good, worth living, and beautiful.  I just think that people are too focused on the outer universe and not their inner universe.  It's not about what's on the outside.  It's what's on the inside that matters because that is where all the real joy, goodness, and beauty is at.  Sure, your life could still be wonderful on the outside such as if you were living in a luxurious paradise. 

But as long as your inner universe is devoid of the light, then all of it would truly be nothing from your perspective.  It wouldn't be truly perceived as something beautiful and good.  Now, there is another packet which describes all the horrible nightmare states I've had.  These were literally of the worst quality (the absolute worst form of the inner darkness).  I describe the inner light and inner darkness as being consciousness based values.  These values focus on the quality of your states rather than definitions.  So, if a beautiful quality state was there in your life, then that would be a beautiful consciousness based value.  The same idea applies to having a horrible quality state in your life. 

This means that, for me to define my life as being something good and beautiful without that positive quality there would be no different than a blind person defining himself as visualizing colors.  That blind person would only be thinking of colors in his mind.  But he would not be able to visualize them.  The inner light is what allows us to truly see the goodness and beauty in our lives just as how the sense of sight allows us to visualize colors.  The same idea applies to the inner darkness.  As long as I am without the inner light, then there would be no real good values in my life at all just as how there would be no real colors in the blind person's life either.  When I am in my most miserable state, then I become blind to all the goodness and beauty in my life.  But when I fully recover, then that is like a blind person recovering his sight.

To conclude this portion of my packet, the inner light is like the light of god we need in our lives.  It could be a light of pure goodness itself since it could be an actual quality of pure goodness, love, joy, and beauty.  I am undecided when it comes to the existence of god, the afterlife, and the paranormal.  Therefore, if we live in a secular universe where those phenomena do not exist, then our positive emotions would simply be the inner light we need in our lives with no god, afterlife, or supernatural attached.

Mixed Emotions:  Now, if you were in a situation where you had mixed emotions, then you would be perceiving both good and bad value at the same time. It would be something like 20% good and 80% bad in regards to certain things and situations. It all depends on the degree of positive and negative emotions that are there.  So, the fact that these miserable genius artists still saw their lives and art as beautiful means they would have to have had some degree of positive emotion mixed in.  Otherwise, they would just be deluding themselves.  But they could have had another form of the inner light.

Situations:  Whatever situation we feel from is the situation that we either perceive as being good or bad.  If you felt excited from getting a new movie, then you would be seeing the movie as having much good value.  If you felt sad from the idea of a loved one being dead, then you would be seeing bad value towards that tragic situation.   

We Would Be Machines Without Emotions:  Have you ever heard the saying that, without emotions, then we would be machines stripped of our humanity and empathy?  This is a very well known notion.  Based upon this, our emotions would be the higher component to our human existence.  Our positive emotions would have to be the inner light and our negative emotions would have to be the inner darkness.  This means that, without emotions, then there can be no inner light or inner darkness.  You would just be living your life like a machine, so to speak.  That is, you would just be living an empty life. 

Values And Perception:  You could either perceive the values that situations and things have or you can perceive your own created values.  For example, if a mother was feeding her child vegetables, then the vegetables would be good.  But the child would be perceiving them as bad since he felt a negative emotion from them.  So, even though the vegetables are good, the child saw them as bad which would be his own personal perceived value. 

This means that things and situations hold their own value and that the only way to perceive their value or our own personal created value would be through our emotions.  Also, even if our emotional states were induced by drugs rather than thoughts, they would still be the perception of values in our lives.  Remember, there is a big difference between simply acknowledging values and perceiving values which all goes back to my sight analogy.  You could certainly acknowledge values, but the inner light and inner darkness is what truly makes our lives good or bad.

The More The Better:  The more of this inner light I have in my life, then the more I metaphorically shine as a beautiful and magnificent being and the more good value I have in my life.  I realize that drugs would offer me the greatest degree of this inner light, but I am wise and do not do drugs.  Also, regardless of my emotional state, I still make wise decisions anyway just from knowing the benefits or consequences.  But, as I said before, words alone cannot possess the power of the inner light and the inner darkness.  I live my life by values that transcend words.
(October 8, 2017 at 5:04 pm)Transcended Dimensions Wrote: I live my life by values that transcend words.
. . .

If only this were true.
Most (if not all) people already know and have always known that positive emotions are what makes life good. The inner light and god stuff aside, pretty good writing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can too much respect be bad? Fake Messiah 48 5128 January 14, 2020 at 11:28 am
Last Post: roofinggiant
  Technology, Good or Bad Overall? ColdComfort 41 6245 July 7, 2019 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  There are no higher emotions/values Transcended Dimensions 58 12334 April 30, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
Wink Emoticons are Intrinsically Good and Evil Fireball 4 1142 October 21, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Succubus
  Name one objectively bad person ErGingerbreadMandude 57 15219 October 16, 2017 at 3:47 am
Last Post: Ignorant
  Is there a logical, rational reason why hate is bad? WisdomOfTheTrees 27 3841 February 4, 2017 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Is developing a strong habit of philosophizing bad for your social skills? Edwardo Piet 31 4367 May 25, 2016 at 8:22 am
Last Post: Gemini
Smile a bad person Sappho 30 5369 December 8, 2015 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  The bad guy Marsellus Wallace 18 5479 July 28, 2015 at 8:15 am
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
Bug Do Fruit Flies Have Emotions? Hatshepsut 28 3452 May 16, 2015 at 7:56 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger