Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 1, 2024, 11:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you do if you found out God existed
RE: What would you do if you found out God existed
(October 27, 2017 at 6:39 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(October 27, 2017 at 6:29 pm)Captain_Nemo Wrote: That's easy, just do the rice experiment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1UdgEKDw7c
Is this a joke?

Just make somebody else do it for You if You think You'd make a fool out of Yourself Big Grin

Or try talking to somebody who talks to plants, that should be an enticing first step, maybe
Establishing the likelihood of anything supernatural existing is not easy. It is you who are easy, easily convinced and eager to be convinced. That isn't what we had in mind.
(October 27, 2017 at 11:11 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Just on the tumor miracle - the doctors said her recovery was nothing abnormal and followed the expected response to treatment that they'd done before - not a single one of the medical staff responded to the Vatican's call for someone to support it as a miracle.  That's just the most blatant one that comes to my mind, I'm sure other people are more informed on other miracles.

It's interesting to note that the rcc effectively abandoned the idea of using the devil's advocate (they had earlier abolished the position as a permanent scrutineer of beatification "miracles") in any case. The fact that he was so eloquently able to destroy the church's favourite goto "miracle" when it wanted to make a saint and render it unusable so much so that karol wojtyla's canonisation miracle consisted of "some nun" living "somewhere in southern Italy" was cured of "some disease" after praying to the former pope.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(October 27, 2017 at 6:48 pm)Whateverist Wrote: Establishing the likelihood of anything supernatural existing is not easy.  It is you who are easy, easily convinced and eager to be convinced.  That isn't what we had in mind.

The definition of natural is nowhere clearly stated. I assumed that supernatural is to be understood as it is being projected onto society by mass media.

It's rather obvious that such a topic should be tackled from the perspective of communication theory, but this would mean exertion from my side.

The question is not wheather the supernatural exists. The question is if it is possible to have control over information distribution, if yes to what extend. Then comes cybernetics and perception management. Rice experiment is easier Smile
(October 27, 2017 at 12:24 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(October 27, 2017 at 11:11 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Bolded mine - that's pretty much what I was getting at, yeah.  If one can't definitively prove that there is no other explanation, then one is not justified in citing god as a cause, and unjustified in calling it a miracle.

I don't really agree that its completely harmless though, since any misinformation or support for a flawed way of thinking or making decisions is undesirable in and of itself, in my opinion, and could be the basis for flawed thinking in making other decisions as well. But that's a discussion for another time.

Just on the tumor miracle - the doctors said her recovery was nothing abnormal and followed the expected response to treatment that they'd done before - not a single one of the medical staff responded to the Vatican's call for someone to support it as a miracle.  That's just the most blatant one that comes to my mind, I'm sure other people are more informed on other miracles.

I googled around for the tumor miracle. Looks like there's a lot of conflicting reports. 

The story goes that she was being seen by doctors for a mass/tumor in her abdomen caused by some kind of infection secondary to tuberculosis. Apparently her belly was distended because of it. This much seems to be confirmed. 

She said she was still not getting well despite medical treatments (which consisted of antibiotics she took for almost a year), and on the anniversary day of Mother Theresa's death, still feeling extremely sick, she was helped to a church where they prayed for Mother's intercession and rubbed a medal over her distended belly. She fell asleep and when she woke up her belly was flat and the pain was completely gone, never to return again.  

Apparently three doctors did decline to testify for a miracle (as you said), but there were supposedly other doctors who treated her who did back up her claims. She was set up for surgery to remove the tumor but was too sick to be put under general anesthesia so she never went through with it.     

Her husband initially called it a hoax but later said he believes it was a miracle, which I found odd. 

Anyway, I'm not sure what to think of this one. On one hand she was receiving antibiotics for a long time, on the other hand it seems odd that she'd be cured so suddenly overnight, precisely because she as getting treated for so long and apparently not getting better. And it is interesting that she'd be cured on the exact anniversary day of the saint she prayed to, but that could just be a crazy coincidence. I'd have to get an explanation from the church investigators as to why they don't think this overnight cure was medically possible. As of now I'm not entirely convinced.   

I looked through several articles about this, but these were the two that stuck out to me most:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asi...0bc2086e86

and video: http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-in...-my-tumour

What do you think? Do you think she could be lying or exaggerating a bit?

So because she's catlick you accept the same story you wouldn't accept from "orange juice cures AIDS" woo website, or an anti-vaxxer "my daughter got autism two months after her older brother was vaccinated, the vaccines caused it" story? Says much about your credulousness.

Home
(October 27, 2017 at 8:40 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: To clarify though, I don't believe God "causes" any of those things you mentioned, Possi. They are caused by human beings using their free will to hurt others, or they are caused by nature. God allows those things to happen by not divinely intervening in our world or in our actions to stop them, but He doesn't cause them.

Hi there CL
I believe you when you say you don't believe that god causes these things, of course you don't no rational person would. My argument was more based on the free will argument, free will does not preclude a sovereign god interfering, avoiding or stopping some circumstances, especially ones that lead to suffering. For instance if a parents see the children fighting, and they pick up weapons to use on one another then you and I would of course intervene, we would no longer think that the individuals right and freedom of expression was more important than stopping injury.

It's at this point that the theist interject arguments along the line of 'his ways are not our ways' or 'it's all part of the big picture' or it's all about free will' which at least to me is nonsense, otherwise why have a justice system at all? The bible, theists say is god's revealed word and it contains many laws that interfere with what we call free will from the very sensible rule not to murder, to the absurd rule about not rubbing sticks together on a Sabbath.
When you bring a child up 'in the way he should go' or the secular equivalent to teach a kid to be good you are also indoctrinating a child and interfering with free will.

Of course if someone decides to do something evil, then that's down to them, but which one of us would not love for that to be stopped by law enforcement of some kind, or at least arrested after the event? For a god who can see all these things and still does not interfere is about as good as no god at all, why instil a sense of justice in his word (in the Christian case the bible) while at the same time acting as if he does not exist in these matters.

As for natural disasters, that's a perfect case in point, god could simply stop those without interfering with anyone's free will.

Regards
possibletarian
'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'
(October 27, 2017 at 6:16 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(October 27, 2017 at 6:13 pm)Tazzycorn Wrote: Name one. Give us just one documented proven case of a miracle.

I already gave one miracle I believe in. And I never said anything about it being "proven". The supernatural can't be proven.

So you have exactly zero miracles you can point to. You have no evidence.

Colour me unsurprised.

Home
(October 27, 2017 at 6:55 pm)Captain_Nemo Wrote:
(October 27, 2017 at 6:48 pm)Whateverist Wrote: Establishing the likelihood of anything supernatural existing is not easy.  It is you who are easy, easily convinced and eager to be convinced.  That isn't what we had in mind.

The definition of natural is nowhere clearly stated. I assumed that supernatural is to be understood as it is being projected onto society by mass media.

It's rather obvious that such a topic should be tackled from the perspective of communication theory, but this would mean exertion from my side.

The question is not wheather the supernatural exists. The question is if it is possible to have control over information distribution, if yes to what extend. Then comes cybernetics and perception management. Rice experiment is easier Smile

What I can't figure out is whether you actually think you've said anything or if you're just blowing smoke up my ass.  If you want better treatment, try saying something you actually think is true in a way that has a chance of communicating.
(October 27, 2017 at 7:05 pm)Tazzycorn Wrote:
(October 27, 2017 at 6:16 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I already gave one miracle I believe in. And I never said anything about it being "proven". The supernatural can't be proven.

Colour me unsurprised.

CL has made it pretty clear that she doesn't take her beliefs as absolute certainty and has acknowledged the problems that other folks (including me) have with the evidence given for things like miracles (see our conversation in the last couple pages).  That doesn't mean the conversation isn't worth having, and looking at any miracle claim and the evidence for/against it is usually productive and interesting for both parties...providing they're as reasonable as CL.  Don't try that shit with Drich or Rik.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(October 27, 2017 at 7:05 pm)Tazzycorn Wrote:
(October 27, 2017 at 6:16 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I already gave one miracle I believe in. And I never said anything about it being "proven". The supernatural can't be proven.

Colour me unsurprised.

Lol ok big boy
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Shocking Reflection]: Finally, I found Mohammed's name in the Bible and the Torah WinterHold 105 6957 November 26, 2022 at 1:29 am
Last Post: UniversesBoss
  Sodom found? HappySkeptic 46 3550 October 9, 2021 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Someone should tell these people Buddha never existed Vincenzo Vinny G. 14 4817 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Turns out we were all wrong. Here's undeniable proof of god. EgoDeath 6 1462 September 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Jesus tomb found! << click bait for religious>> ignoramus 17 2946 December 23, 2018 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What would you say to a god if you met one? The Valkyrie 37 4407 June 1, 2018 at 7:05 am
Last Post: brewer
  God and Death, dying out. WinterHold 13 2338 May 14, 2018 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  People in bible never existed according to head of Theology at a university in UK! MellisaClarke 79 15951 January 3, 2018 at 12:18 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Would God be an atheist? Martian Mermaid 41 7164 November 16, 2017 at 1:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What would you do if you found out that I was God? Aegon 16 2681 October 8, 2017 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Aegon