Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 13, 2024, 1:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A rational explanation for hell?
RE: A rational explanation for hell?
(August 18, 2011 at 11:00 pm)FaithNoMore Wrote:
(August 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm)C Rod Wrote: Yes i know that but that last moment left, it seems not knowing it and via your description, to me, does not happen.

Let me get this straight, the Christian has suddenly taken the position that if something cannot be observed, it must not exist? It seems you are just grasping at straws to deny the fact that death is final.

Its final in that all people must die.
I stand trying to understand the actual moment of death to me. As either a mystery or we know what the exact moment is. Thats it we do or we dont, which is it?
(August 18, 2011 at 11:16 pm)Epimethean Wrote: I agree with Rhythm. I have a question for you, C Rod: Do you believe that all living beings have souls, even down to the fly you squashed for buzzing around your head one too many times?

What do you mean by souls?
"Its not what your looking at that matters, its what you see." -Henry David Thoreau
♪Oh, I get lost in my mind Lost, I get lost I get Lost in my mind Lost in my Mind Yes, I get lost in my mind Lost, I get lost I get lost I get lost Oh, I get♪ -The Head and the Heart
"You are wise, witty and wonderful, but you spend too much time reading this sort of stuff.”- Frank Crane
(August 18, 2011 at 11:28 pm)C Rod Wrote: Its final in that all people must die.
I stand trying to understand the actual moment of death to me. As either a mystery or we know what the exact moment is. Thats it we do or we dont, which is it?

Your brain ceases to function causing what you perceive as the 'self' to no long exist. We do know, only it seems that is some sort of misplaced attempt to cope with death, you have assigned an element of mystery to it that is not necessary. It is to ignore logic and reason to ignore our understanding death.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(August 18, 2011 at 11:28 pm)C Rod Wrote:
(August 18, 2011 at 11:16 pm)Epimethean Wrote: I agree with Rhythm. I have a question for you, C Rod: Do you believe that all living beings have souls, even down to the fly you squashed for buzzing around your head one too many times?

Right now, we're investigating what you think. Do you think that your dog has a soul and can go to heaven? How about your pet fish? The ant on the sidewalk?

Trying to update my sig ...
(August 18, 2011 at 11:28 pm)C Rod Wrote: Its final in that all people must die.
Again this is wrong. Most deaths even if sudden are a process not an event. Take someone who is brain dead, they normally subject to a battery of 20 tests before they are formally pronounced dead. But most people accept that if successfully diagnosed brain death is or invariably leads to death. So we do not know the exact moment of death, in all cases. Someone who is say instantly vaporized at 11:26:34 on July 15th, will be dead at that time.

(August 18, 2011 at 11:28 pm)C Rod Wrote: What do you mean by souls?
The idea of a soul is also inconsistent with reality, but xtians normally define it as the immaterial self, whatever that is. And of course xtians must believe in souls because the physical Jesus died, and for their own salvation. No soul, no xtianity it's that simple.
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.
Meh, after a few days of the back and forth, it's become apparent to me that CRod realized he was unprepared for this discussion, and has been stalling while he furiously searches for the "gotcha" he so desperately needs to believe exists.

To be clear, no CRod, I don't agree with you. There is no mystery. You are feigning ignorance. If you have opinions, beliefs, theories, just be upfront about it. You don't wonder, you already "know". Constantly restating questions over and over like they haven't been addressed countless times is tedious.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I hear what you are saying Rhythm. I enjoy debates with xtians on this site, but it's hard to be civil in the face of such wooly thinking. A few clips on YouTube of the 'Rev' Ray Comfort and they think they now know the secrets of the universe and they'll be able to slam dunk win an atheist in any debate.
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.
Frankly, I'm surprised he hasn't been given the banhammer. 25 pages of drivel? The dude has to be a troll.

(August 19, 2011 at 8:49 am)Rhythm Wrote: Meh, after a few days of the back and forth, it's become apparent to me that CRod realized he was unprepared for this discussion, and has been stalling while he furiously searches for the "gotcha" he so desperately needs to believe exists.

To be clear, no CRod, I don't agree with you. There is no mystery. You are feigning ignorance. If you have opinions, beliefs, theories, just be upfront about it. You don't wonder, you already "know". Constantly restating questions over and over like they haven't been addressed countless times is tedious.

(August 18, 2011 at 11:51 pm)FaithNoMore Wrote:

Your brain ceases to function causing what you perceive as the 'self' to no long exist. We do know, only it seems that is some sort of misplaced attempt to cope with death, you have assigned an element of mystery to it that is not necessary. It is to ignore logic and reason to ignore our understanding death.

I was just trying to understand what the moment, to the person, dying was. I added an element of mystery to it because i felt that moment couldn't be experienced and testified to because it was death.
(August 19, 2011 at 1:39 am)Epimethean Wrote:
(August 18, 2011 at 11:28 pm)C Rod Wrote:

Right now, we're investigating what you think. Do you think that your dog has a soul and can go to heaven? How about your pet fish? The ant on the sidewalk?

Yes investigate freely.
I do not feel that animals have souls.
(August 19, 2011 at 8:49 am)Rhythm Wrote: Meh, after a few days of the back and forth, it's become apparent to me that CRod realized he was unprepared for this discussion, and has been stalling while he furiously searches for the "gotcha" he so desperately needs to believe exists.

I was just trying to understand. I was confident in my claim, so i brought it back out when it was shot down because i was still unsure about the reply.
"Its not what your looking at that matters, its what you see." -Henry David Thoreau
♪Oh, I get lost in my mind Lost, I get lost I get Lost in my mind Lost in my Mind Yes, I get lost in my mind Lost, I get lost I get lost I get lost Oh, I get♪ -The Head and the Heart
"You are wise, witty and wonderful, but you spend too much time reading this sort of stuff.”- Frank Crane
You're not trying to understand anything. You're leveraging magical thinking and hoping to tire us out by repetition so that you can correct what you believe to be our misunderstanding of death. Not that you have anything at all to offer in response to the very detailed and well observed explanations that you've been given by multiple posters.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 19, 2011 at 1:41 pm)I_Blaspheme Wrote: Frankly, I'm surprised he hasn't been given the banhammer. 25 pages of drivel? The dude has to be a troll.

I dont wish to be banned. Im not trolling.
Sincerely, I am not adept to the logic or what is already known. I am trying to learn.
19, working at a fast food place, and went to public school. Not in college.
(August 19, 2011 at 7:44 pm)Rhythm Wrote: You're not trying to understand anything. You're leveraging magical thinking and hoping to tire us out by repetition so that you can correct what you believe to be our misunderstanding of death. Not that you have anything at all to offer in response to the very detailed and well observed explanations that you've been given by multiple posters.

Your right. What they said is true and i have nothing to respond to it.

Simply, i was confident in my answer that the moment of death couldn't be testified to and experienced yet i will have to deal with death itself as a process.
I wanted to be justified with the answer that suited my observation because i thought mystery was a good observation of the very moment. I was wrong and couldn't accept it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Explanation Required by the 12 guys? + the secret. Ferrocyanide 26 1909 December 20, 2021 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Evolutionary explanation of religion cyber_freddy 33 2854 December 25, 2020 at 6:52 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  HELL or not HELL? Little Rik 91 12143 November 10, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Rational Theism Foxaèr 17 5457 May 2, 2018 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, vaahaa 19 2873 September 18, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Question Is theism more rational in a pre-scientific context? Tea Earl Grey Hot 6 1588 March 7, 2017 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  No rational case for God = increasingly desperate attacks on atheists Mudhammam 58 15072 July 19, 2014 at 12:11 am
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Possible explanation of supernatural religious visitations BlackMason 15 4297 May 13, 2014 at 5:21 am
Last Post: Confused Ape
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - thunderhulk 30 7956 December 16, 2013 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - Jaya Jagannath 15 6466 October 19, 2013 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Jackalope