Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 7, 2024, 9:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arguments for God in Quran.
RE: Arguments for God in Quran.
(April 2, 2018 at 12:15 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(April 2, 2018 at 12:09 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:

None of you represent all Atheists. And if there is a few who care, that is good enough for me.

Find one and I’ll eat my shoe.

I frequently care about arguing over stupid shit like his beliefs, otherwise I wouldn't do it all the time.

Okay when do I get to watch you eat your shoe? And where? Skype? Wink
(April 2, 2018 at 2:38 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(April 2, 2018 at 2:35 pm)Khemikal Wrote: ...........and?  I don't think that we're the authors of morality either.  I don't see how inventing a god improves our position in this regard.

Really, so did you have it from birth and it hasn't changed?
You know what was going through my mind at birth?  Two things.  Thing one, I need to shit.  Thing two..where's the titties?  

Quote:Or is genetics and evolution so trustworthy you have to act according to moral instinct?
If I put all my trust in genetics and evolution I'd hardly need a moral system..but...I will say this, my moral instincts are more reliable than your magic book.  So there's that.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
So how did it develop, what is the guiding process, what is the guidance of morality people rely on? If it's you deciding it, than it's not guidance. If it's you recognizing it, what are you recognizing?

And why do we disagree more on it even then taste of food?
(April 2, 2018 at 2:23 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Saying you are the guide of yourself, is just stating you act on according to your will and decide, it means guidance is not necessary.

Then the only guidance I believe in is guidance from other humans, if we say I cannot guide myself.

Going back to why you need to reformulate your argument then:

What is this "moral guidance that love acts by" according to you?

This "real guidance" that you speak of 1. Needs defining and 2. You need to demonstrate that it cannot exist without a god.

So,

1. first you need to define this guidance, so we know what you're actually arguing for.

2. Then you need to argue that it exists.

3. And finally you need to demonstrate why and how God is required for its existence.

That's it. Three steps. Can't be that hard.

Simply talking about some guidance without it being clear to us what you mean, and then telling us that it exists without demonstrating that it does, and then saying that God can't exist without it without demonstrating why or how... that certainly isn't enough.

If your argument doesn't require a reformulation then neither does mine, and for the exact same reasons (they can be reasonable starting premises because I say so if yours can because you say so and my argument has the exact same logical structure).... and so from the point of view you've displayed here, we have just as much reason to believe in your real God as we do my real spell-casting wizards.
This just in! Different people are different! That's not really a problem for me.  Moral disagreement, exists, this is a fact.  It's also a fact that people commonly get the answers wrong on a math quiz.  

I think that underneath that disagreement there's quite a bit of commonality, though.  I think that the fetishist moralizing of religion goes a long way to getting the answers on the quiz wrong, personally.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I am working with what you guys see of it. You already know my perspective. Trying to see how you guys don't see it the way I do.
Hey if there is proof in the koran that's good enough for me. Where do I sign?
(April 2, 2018 at 2:45 pm)Khemikal Wrote: This justin, different people are different, but that;s not really a problem for me.  Moral disagreement, exists, this is a fact.  It's also a fact that people commonly get the answers wrong on a math tequizt.  

I think that underneath that disagreement there's quite a bit of commonality, though.  I think that the fetishist moralizing of religion goes a long way to getting the answers on the quiz wrong, personally.

That's not really answering the question.

We get things wrong, but what is the recognition of the right? What is right morality?

(April 2, 2018 at 2:46 pm)Whateverist Wrote: Hey if there is proof in the koran that's good enough for me.  Where do I sign?

The sign is already in you.
I can't swoop down and save-a-ho anymore than your imaginary god can, Mystic. I;m fallible, and limited. One of my limitations is in being incapable of expressing a moral truth to a person who asserts that there can be none. If you don;t have a moral sense and we have no common moral experience then how could I possibly communicate a moral concept to you? Do you even know what we're discussing?

May as well argue with my cat.
(April 2, 2018 at 2:42 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: So how did it develop, what is the guiding process, what is the guidance of morality people rely on? If it's you deciding it, than it's not guidance. If it's you recognizing it, what are you recognizing?

And why do we disagree more on it even then taste of food?

It's not clear what this "guidance" you speak of, even means. It sounds like you're talking about some kind of transcendent force of grace or something. No such thing exists.

I'm a moral realist too. In the sense that I believe there are objectively true and false moral propositions, but I don't believe in some ontological "force" of morality. Morality isn't a thing besides the subjective values (subjective in a different sense) that reside in our brains. It's simply that some of those values are more moral than others, and hence some statements about them are morally true whereas some are morally false.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the Quran support Theocracy? Leonardo17 89 4349 May 1, 2024 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  New Controversies around the Desecration of the Quran Leonardo17 100 9944 August 20, 2023 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Quran and Hadiths annatar 34 20792 October 11, 2022 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  "Nas" is probably my favorite arabic word in the Quran Woah0 22 1511 August 22, 2022 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  [Quranic reflection]: The Big Bang theory in the Quran. WinterHold 62 4759 June 14, 2022 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How I'd Reveal the Quran To Humanity ReptilianPeon 23 3035 May 11, 2022 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Cavalry
  2-big bang theory in the Quran mo3taz3nbar 108 49345 April 3, 2022 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Quranic Reflection]: Quran vs Hadith- why the Hadith is false WinterHold 176 13995 January 15, 2022 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Quranic Reflection]: On reading the Quran.. WinterHold 1 900 July 24, 2021 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Quranic Reflection]: moon absorbed by the sun in the Quran: far future. WinterHold 253 16637 December 18, 2020 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: polymath257