Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 1:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question
RE: Question
(April 26, 2018 at 7:53 pm)G Alan Wrote:
(April 25, 2018 at 5:28 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I've been wondering if G is a "no real atheist" type. We're just angry with god/church or are fooling ourselves and would convert on the death bed.
I do beleieve that true atheist exist.  Heck, i can even prove it.... this is an athiest forum and i am conversing with atheists.  Hows that?
I realize now, after talking with some of you via PM that I approached ya'll wrong.  Ya'll have been blasted and hammered on by other theist and for that i apologize.  
My question was about people of faith that had "walked away" from that faith.  I did get some great feedback and i appreciate that.  I got alot of responses about the Bible and the kind of god it presents.  
So, here goes another attempt at a question.  If i ask wrong for goodness sake somebody on here help me correct it...   i admit that the biggest part of my argument or evidence for a creator and a God is the Bible.  Is it the Old Testament books that ya'll think are the most ridiculous or is it the whole bible including where Jesus comes on the scene?  
Who/or what evidence do yall true atheist go to for proof of no God/gods?
Thanks ya'll.

Atheists lack belief in the existence of god(s). I'm not sure that I can prove no god(s) any more than I can prove no Superman. 

Theists make the god claim, now it's that whole "burden of proof" thing. 

It's the entire bible.

Did you sub "true" for "real" on purpose?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I've talked to G privately and he seems genuinely taken aback by the backlash. I don't think he has any ulterior motives, nor do I think he's here in hopes of conversion.

It seems he came here for the same reason I did - curiosity and just generally wanting to hear about "the other side's" perspective.

When I first joined, many people also thought I was here with ulterior motives, and there were a lot of things I said that were totally taken the wrong way and people thought I was trying to offend or trick when I wasnt. It wasn't fun having to constantly defend myself and my reasons for being here. Seems G is kinda going through the same thing. I say give the guy a chance. He seems genuine and like a nice guy.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(April 26, 2018 at 8:43 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I've talked to G privately and he seems genuinely taken aback by the backlash. I don't think he has any ulterior motives, nor do I think he's here in hopes of conversion.

It seems he came here for the same reason I did - curiosity and just generally wanting to hear about "the other side's" perspective.

When I first joined, many people also thought I was here with ulterior motives, and there were a lot of things I said that were totally taken the wrong way and people thought I was trying to offend or trick when I wasnt. It wasn't fun having to constantly defend myself and my reasons for being here. Seems G is kinda going through the same thing. I say give the guy a chance. He seems genuine and like a nice guy.

I try to not unduly attack them as others do.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
No purposeful sub and no motive for use of the word "true."
Interesting. Here is an example of why i am on here.... thankyou. I assumed all atheist was out to prove there is no God. A lot of atheist sure do call theist idiots, morons, ludicrous, etc. over believing in something that they themsleves dont believe in. Is that because of all the proselytizing and hammering yall have to endure?
(April 26, 2018 at 8:51 pm)G Alan Wrote: No purposeful sub and no motive for use of the word "true."
Interesting. Here is an example of why i am on here.... thankyou. I assumed all atheist was out to prove there is no God. A lot of atheist sure do call theist idiots, morons, ludicrous, etc. over believing in something that they themsleves dont believe in. Is that because of all the proselytizing and hammering yall have to endure?

No atheist is out to prove there is no god, because the burden of proof is on the believer.

Lots of theists are idiots, but only in terms of their beliefs toward god.

We endure it because we can.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(April 26, 2018 at 8:55 pm)Lutrinae Wrote:
(April 26, 2018 at 8:51 pm)G Alan Wrote: No purposeful sub and no motive for use of the word "true."
Interesting.  Here is an example of why i am on here.... thankyou. I assumed all atheist was out to prove there is no God.  A lot of atheist sure do call theist idiots, morons, ludicrous, etc. over believing in something that they themsleves dont believe in.   Is that because of all the proselytizing and hammering yall have to endure?

No atheist is out to prove there is no god, because the burden of proof is on the believer.

Lots of theists are idiots, but only in terms of their beliefs toward god.

We endure it because we can.
So what would you consider the burdens of proof for atheist?  

Also you are saying that you can call someone an idiot just for believing in something that you don't?  I may need to change my user name from G.  to Idiot.
Sorry, I missed your entrance, G! Welcome to AF. I always say we need more theists here. I hope you stick around to lend your perspective to the conversation. FWIW I don't think that believers are "morons." In my estimation, some of the most brilliant thinkers the world has seen have been theists.

However, I do think that theists are vulnerable (as any human being is) to believe misinformation if it is repeated enough times, and (as any human being is) theists are prone to adopt beliefs due to societal pressure and cultural influence. 

Whether one is a theist or atheist, I feel that a person should come to hold a belief due to an honest examination of the evidence using reason as a guide. Nobody ought to believe something because of coercion or social influence, no matter how well-intentioned it may be. Religion departs from reason too much for my tastes. It has convinced good people to commit atrocities and created war and unrest where there might have been peace. As such, I take time out of my day to give it the scrutiny that it is due-- since most people in the world do believe in a religious doctrine of some sort.
(April 26, 2018 at 8:51 pm)G Alan Wrote: I assumed all atheist was out to prove there is no God.

I suspect most atheists understand the proper use of 'prove', so you'll find that this isn't a widespread thing among atheists. Remember, 'atheist' -- like 'theist' -- pertains to belief or lack thereof, not knowledge. Proof doesn't really enter into it.

Quote:A lot of atheist sure do call theist idiots, morons, ludicrous, etc. over believing in something that they themsleves dont believe in.

Some people don't see any value or integrity in believing risible and unverifiable claims. Go figure. 

It's not like the world is overrun with people who came to their sense of the divine by way of Spinoza, to take one example. Scratch a theist, and nine times out of ten you'll find someone who believes utter horseshit based on some story they read in a 'special' book. Explain what that has to do with conscientious intellectual inquiry. Honesty. Integrity.

I'll wait.
I think it’s important to understand that atheists don’t just not believe in your god, but, rather, we don’t believe in any gods.  Allah is dismissed just like your god.  The Jewish god is dismissed just like your god.  Same goes for Satan, or anything else along those lines.

Also, the degree of disbelief tends to change when it comes to particular gods.  I personally find all known religions, especially those regarding mono-deities, to be patently absurd.  They’re self-contradictory, and don’t stand up to even the slightest examination.  But, I’m open to the possibility of something unlike the gods described in history to exist.  The problem there is that such a being is ill defined, and there’s nothing that conclusively points to any kind of divinity anyway.  Without sufficient reason to believe, I cannot believe.

So, it’s not for me to prove there is absolutely no god. Instead, due to a combination of shoddy assertions and a complete lack of legitimate corroborating evidence pointing to the divine, I can only conclude that no god exists.
(April 26, 2018 at 8:51 pm)G Alan Wrote: No purposeful sub and no motive for use of the word "true."
Interesting.  Here is an example of why i am on here.... thankyou. I assumed all atheist was out to prove there is no God.  A lot of atheist sure do call theist idiots, morons, ludicrous, etc. over believing in something that they themsleves dont believe in.   Is that because of all the proselytizing and hammering yall have to endure?

That's a big part of it. Now you get to know what it's like walking in the other guys shoes. I've been getting the guff for over 45 years. Sometimes intentionally, sometimes not. I live in 90% (at the minimum) christian community. Everybody assumes everybody is a christian. When I tell them I'm not, I get a gasp, the eye, the shake of the head (you poor soul) or the preaching. They seem to get pleasure in saying "god bless you" and "I'll pray for you". It gets really old, 45 years worth of old.

That's part of the reason why I'm here. To have a place to speak my peace in relative anonymity. I get to say things here that I'd never have the opportunity to in my community. If I rant and you happen to be in the line of fire it's not personal, but is intentional. 

I don't often use idiot, moron, stupid, ............... but the whole belief is delusional and a fantasy as far as I'm concerned and I will make fun of believers. I'll also tell you that I consider it a mental crutch that, for whatever reason, you need to make sense of your life and the world. If you need it I'm willing to accept that but don't expect me to agree or understand. 

I see that you asked what would be considered god proof. I would need it to be something concrete, not abstract, be demonstrated to many and repeatable. It can't be story or testimony (i.e. the bible). It can't be argument or debate.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.