Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 10:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abiogenesis in the proximity of hydrothermal vents?
RE: Abiogenesis in the proximity of hydrothermal vents?
(January 10, 2019 at 8:34 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote:
(January 10, 2019 at 8:24 pm)wyzas Wrote: Well that's going to leave a mark but I'm feeling a but masochistic, tell me about the more.

Not trying to beat you up over it.  There are various "I AM" statements in the Bible, and the most widely acknowledged are the "I AM" statements in John.

I AM the Bread of Life
I AM the Light of the World
I AM the Gate
I AM the Good Shepherd
I AM the Resurrection and the Life
I AM the Way, the Truth, and the Life
I AM the Vine

Those seven are often grouped together.  Then there is also another usage in John

Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” - John 8:58

OK, got it. Just more woo statements with no explanation (or possible explanation) more than "just believe". Or does the "most assuredly" make all the difference?  Hilarious

This is one of the main reasons why I got the hell out.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
(January 10, 2019 at 9:03 pm)wyzas Wrote:
(January 10, 2019 at 8:34 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: Not trying to beat you up over it.  There are various "I AM" statements in the Bible, and the most widely acknowledged are the "I AM" statements in John.

I AM the Bread of Life
I AM the Gate
I AM the Good Shepherd
I AM the Vine

Those seven are often grouped together.  Then there is also another usage in John

Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” - John 8:58

OK, got it. Just more woo statements with no explanation (or possible explanation) more than "just believe". Or does the "most assuredly" make all the difference?  Hilarious

Not exactly.  There's more to it.  I guess I was just giving you the short version since I didn't want you to feel like I was trying to punish you with it or whatever you suggested before. Smile
(January 10, 2019 at 9:07 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote:
(January 10, 2019 at 9:03 pm)wyzas Wrote: OK, got it. Just more woo statements with no explanation (or possible explanation) more than "just believe". Or does the "most assuredly" make all the difference?  Hilarious

Not exactly.  There's more to it.  I guess I was just giving you the short version since I didn't want you to feel like I was trying to punish you with it or whatever you suggested before. Smile

I highly doubt that there is more than "just believe". But that appears to be enough for you and I'm OK with that.

Edit: Unless you feel the need for me to validate your belief(s) for some reason.
(January 10, 2019 at 9:11 pm)wyzas Wrote:
(January 10, 2019 at 9:07 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote: Not exactly.  There's more to it.  I guess I was just giving you the short version since I didn't want you to feel like I was trying to punish you with it or whatever you suggested before. Smile

I highly doubt that there is more than "just believe". But that appears to be enough for you and I'm OK with that.

Edit: Unless you feel the need for me to validate your belief(s) for some reason.

I'm trying to figure out why some rando on the internet expects you to feel "punished" because you don't accept his interpretation of his scifi novel.

And WTF does it have to do with hydrothermal vents, anyway? Huh
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(January 10, 2019 at 10:34 pm)Fireball Wrote:
(January 10, 2019 at 9:11 pm)wyzas Wrote: I highly doubt that there is more than "just believe". But that appears to be enough for you and I'm OK with that.

I'm trying to figure out why some rando on the internet expects you to feel "punished" because you don't accept his interpretation of his scifi novel.

It started with the word "possible". 

Don't even try to tell me I can't take a thread sideways.
(January 10, 2019 at 10:34 pm)Fireball Wrote:
(January 10, 2019 at 9:11 pm)wyzas Wrote: I highly doubt that there is more than "just believe". But that appears to be enough for you and I'm OK with that.

I was asked a question. I responded.
(January 10, 2019 at 8:34 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote:
(January 10, 2019 at 8:24 pm)wyzas Wrote: Well that's going to leave a mark but I'm feeling a but masochistic, tell me about the more.

Not trying to beat you up over it.  There are various "I AM" statements in the Bible, and the most widely acknowledged are the "I AM" statements in John.

I AM the Bread of Life
I AM the Gate
I AM the Good Shepherd
I AM the Vine

(January 10, 2019 at 8:29 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: If you're 'unified', then there's no need to be 'reconciled'.  See, different words mean different things.  That why they're...you know...different.

Boru

So if you marry a woman, you are unified because of the marriage, but you have a falling out, and you separate.  Should you reconcile if possible?  Are you not married when you separate?

I would assert you are still unified, even though there is discord, which requires reconciliation.  It is likely you also still love each other despite the disagreement.

Nope.  If you separate, you are no longer unified.  I know apple analogies have been done to death of late, but here's another:  If I take an apple and cut it in half, is it still 'unified'?

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(January 10, 2019 at 8:14 pm)T0 Th3 M4X Wrote:
(January 10, 2019 at 7:58 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Fixed that for you.

Oh no, we are a unified body.  Please quote me correctly. Great 

It's okay though. I'm sure we can all agree it's good to share.

Okay, you're a troll.
(January 10, 2019 at 8:26 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 10, 2019 at 8:09 pm)Editz Wrote: Basically I am opposed to the rep feature, IMO it's a primary reason The Thinking Atheist forum collapsed and fuck popularity as a gage. Was Copernicus popular in his time? etc.

If you're opposed to it, why are you kvetching about the number of your rep points?

Boru

I'm just not a big fan of having a sign above my name which says "6 times less popular than XY and Z" - and perish the thought I might actually begin attempting to "improve my popularity" through some dreadfully uncouth and distasteful self-conscious pandering/felating/compromising/watering down etc ad inf.

(January 10, 2019 at 8:18 pm)unfogged Wrote:
(January 10, 2019 at 8:09 pm)Editz Wrote: Basically I am opposed to the rep feature, IMO it's a primary reason The Thinking Atheist forum collapsed and fuck popularity as a gage. Was Copernicus popular in his time? etc.

The TTA forum did not collapse; the owner made a decision to drop it despite it being quite active.

Perhaps partly because of the rep feature. Perhaps not. Thanks for the info.  Great
Quote:I'm just not a big fan of having a sign above my name which says "6 times less popular than XY and Z" - and perish the thought I might actually begin attempting to "improve my popularity" through some dreadfully uncouth and distasteful self-conscious pandering/felating/compromising/watering down etc ad inf.

Here's how to fix it.

1.  Click on your profile.

2.  Click 'Details' next to your rep number. This will open the list telling who repped you and when.

3.  PM the people who repped you and ask them to remove the rep.

I've already deleted the point I gave you, so you needn't worry that you're pandering.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One step closer to proving abiogenesis? Scientists create "Near-Living Crystal" Ryantology 41 17646 January 31, 2015 at 3:47 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Abiogenesis solved? max-greece 23 7283 January 8, 2015 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Abiogenesis: Closer Minimalist 3 1643 November 9, 2014 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Abiogenesis: Impossible, or no? Creed of Heresy 8 5430 July 16, 2012 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: Colanth
  Abiogenesis. A step closer. Darwinian 6 2797 January 13, 2009 at 9:30 am
Last Post: Rob