Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 2:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Embellishments in the Gospel of Mark.
RE: Embellishments in the Gospel of Mark.
(April 4, 2019 at 10:04 am)Drich Wrote: It was about that same time that...

"And in this time there shall be a great rubbing of parts"!
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(April 5, 2019 at 5:06 pm)Drich Wrote:
(April 5, 2019 at 3:07 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Did you even read the Wikipedia article?  The author of the Gospel of Luke made an historical blunder.  It would like someone claiming that Woodrow Wilson was President prior to Teddy Roosevelt.

That is the perception yes, but I showed you how it is not a blunder but a miss reading and mis conception of what the passage is describing.

Again chapter 1 describes John birth which includes herod the great. John was born first and could be between 4 and 6 years old. Chapter two descibes the birth of jesus some time later.

How does any of this address Quirinius' governorship of Syria:

Wikipedia -- Quirinius
(April 6, 2019 at 9:31 am)Jehanne Wrote:
(April 5, 2019 at 5:06 pm)Drich Wrote: That is the perception yes, but I showed you how it is not a blunder but a miss reading and mis conception of what the passage is describing.

Again chapter 1 describes John birth which includes herod the great. John was born first and could be between 4 and 6 years old. Chapter two descibes the birth of jesus some time later.

How does any of this address Quirinius' governorship of Syria:

Wikipedia -- Quirinius

John was not even conceived let alone born at the time of Herod's reign... Just the prophesy of his birth from an angel to his old man/father was given under herod's rule. note the actual passage does not say herod the great just herod/could have been his son which rule in his father's stead, which was eventually superseded by quintus which is the time Jesus was born.

John again is a few years older than Jesus.

where is the problem with that?

read chapter 1 (not a commentary but luke chapter one, john is only fore told by an angel under 'herod.' to the Father and his voice was taken... Then SOME TIME LATER John was conceived.. 
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se...ersion=ERV
There is no time line between the time herod died and when john was born. over anxious atheist force a time line byomitting what is clearly time breaks in the actual passage.

There is no discrepancy here as as the birth of John could have clearly happened after herod pass judea to quintus of rome. which again John came first some say by a few years before christ. but again no direct time line. it just shows when John the baptist birth was fore told and when Jesus was born by the mark of the census.

Read chapter 1 and chapter 2 for yourself, than think for yourself. do not allow hate and anger of others cloud your own judgement. there is no discrepency if you read what is written and not a commentary that tells you what to think.

The only mention of Herod is to make the prediction of John's birth and to mark the angel taking john's father's voice which came back to him after the birth. the passage clearly says after some time or some time later (after the prediction of john's birth) elizibeth/john's mother get pregnant. this some time later could very well put john's birth at the end of the reign of herod or even in the reign of quintus... Then 6 months after john s conceived mary visits not even pregnant her self yet. this puts jesus over a year to some speculate up to 6 years after john. which again is well into the reign of quintius.

Do you see now?
What I see, is that you aren't interested in the historicity of jesus or the history of the new testament whatsoever.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 8, 2019 at 10:00 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: What I see, is that you aren't interested in the historicity of jesus or the history of the new testament whatsoever.

how so?

I just reconciled a historical paradox that has been plaguing the 'minds of thinkers' the world round!

Maybe you should define historicity before you go any deeper because everything I have said clicks with history and to the very word of the bible aligning both with one another.
It's hardly paradoxical when magic book fails to live up to your fantasies regarding it's construction.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 8, 2019 at 9:20 am)Drich Wrote:
(April 6, 2019 at 9:31 am)Jehanne Wrote: How does any of this address Quirinius' governorship of Syria:

Wikipedia -- Quirinius

Do you see now?

When was Jesus born?  Please give a range of dates.
(April 8, 2019 at 6:01 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(April 8, 2019 at 9:20 am)Drich Wrote: Do you see now?

When was Jesus born?  Please give a range of dates.

off the cuff most people say between 4bc to 6 ad and some even go as late as 8AD because of certain celestial events that could be identified as a star of david.

The AD system of trying to start at Jesus birth was done sometime in the late 6th century I believe and the monk simply got the math wrong when converting from jewish calendar to roman/gregorian
(April 9, 2019 at 2:12 pm)Drich Wrote:
(April 8, 2019 at 6:01 pm)Jehanne Wrote: When was Jesus born?  Please give a range of dates.

off the cuff most people say between 4bc to 6 ad and some even go as late as 8AD because of certain celestial events that could be identified as a star of david.

The AD system of trying to start at Jesus birth was done sometime in the late 6th century I believe and the monk simply got the math wrong when converting from jewish calendar to roman/gregorian

Quite a range.

When did Herod die?

Wikipedia -- Herod the Great
(April 9, 2019 at 9:41 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(April 9, 2019 at 2:12 pm)Drich Wrote: off the cuff most people say between 4bc to 6 ad and some even go as late as 8AD because of certain celestial events that could be identified as a star of david.

Quite a range.

When did Herod die?

Wikipedia -- Herod the Great

he lived from 73 bc to 4 bc which is why christ birth starts as early as 4 bc in some circles. You do understand the numbers work backwards in BC time? the bigger the number the longer ago it was.. meaning herod was born in 73 lived 69 years and died in 4bc. and again the birth of Christ can go as late as 8 AD because again of celestial events that could have been identified as the star of David.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gospel of John controversy Jillybean 12 668 March 4, 2024 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Mark's Gospel was damaged and reassembled incorrectly SeniorCitizen 1 366 November 19, 2023 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How can you prove that the gospel of Mark is not the "word of god"? Lincoln05 100 12076 October 16, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  The Gospel of Peter versus the Gospel of Matthew. Jehanne 47 6057 July 14, 2018 at 12:22 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  The Anonymous Gospel Manuscripts athrock 127 24073 February 9, 2016 at 1:46 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles = Satanic Gospel Metis 14 4129 July 17, 2015 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Why do gospel contradictions matter? taylor93112 87 19365 April 28, 2015 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: Desert Diva
  The infancy gospel of thomas dyresand 18 6882 December 29, 2014 at 10:35 am
Last Post: dyresand
  "Gospel Quest" (or The Jesus Timeline) DeistPaladin 93 17251 August 11, 2014 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Can christians here explain Mark 5:2-13? Brakeman 38 10377 December 25, 2013 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Chad32