Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 12, 2024, 8:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roger Penrose is a hack
RE: Roger Penrose is a hack
(June 2, 2020 at 10:00 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Well, okay.  Have fun yelling at the clouds, for as long as you remain, I guess?

As i said he's not here to talk about anything . He's just here to stir shit up
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(June 2, 2020 at 9:42 am)brokenreflector Wrote:
(June 2, 2020 at 9:40 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: I can only help you if you let me.  Always been your call.

I don't want any of your meth and your breath stank.

So, when it comes down to it all you can do is start a stream of insults for those who disagree with you?
Dying to live, living to die.
I'm happy to water the cabbages until such a time as they're fit for mod harvest. Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 2, 2020 at 10:35 am)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(June 2, 2020 at 9:42 am)brokenreflector Wrote: I don't want any of your meth and your breath stank.

So, when it comes down to it all you can do is start a stream of insults for those who disagree with you?
Yup it's all he's got now the simply reciting apologetics has failed .

(June 2, 2020 at 10:37 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: I'm happy to water the cabbages until such a time as they're fit for mod harvest.  Wink
The sooner the better .
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(June 2, 2020 at 1:33 am)brokenreflector Wrote:
(June 2, 2020 at 1:30 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: The readers are already enlightened because they are not mentally retarded like you are.

That's very impressive. Every single person here knows how to prove that the universe is not five-minutes old with an appearance of being 13.8 billion years old. Since you've already solved that problem, can you now work on proving that you're not a brain in a vat being stimulated in a such way that you've imagined the external world? Thanks, bruh.

I'm perfectly willing to concede that I don't know the universe is more than five minutes old with any more certainty than I know I'm not a brain in a vat. There's no good reason to think the universe is only five minutes old; but if you think lack of good reasons aren't a good enough reason not to believe something, even if you can't prove it, that's probably a significant part of the reason why this conversation is where it is.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
The five minute old universe is thoroughly silly.  Suppose it was five minutes old..but for whatever reason and however it came to be this way...it appeared to all the world and had every detail in common with a much older universe.  

The setup is claiming that no relevant fact which informs the conclusion of old age is false, and then quixotically asking us to consider that the conclusion is..nevertheless..false.  Fine...but we're being asked to prove something when, if this could be the case, nothing could be proven.  

It asks us to consider the possibility that even when we're in the possession of sound and true premises, and we use those premises in a valid form, we still couldn't trust the conclusion.  A complete retreat into irrationalism cannot make demands of rational processes, because it does not believe in rational processes, or..indeed...so much as a rationally intelligible universe.

The unreliability of a rational process to reach true conclusions in an irrational universe is uninformative, and would be expected.  Rationally speaking, ofc, but since we've dispensed with all reason.......

I'd even say that the notion is far more harmful to god beliefs than anything else, particularly when the believer thinks that all evidence points to some fairy.  

What, all of the evidence that could have been manufactured five minutes ago and whose conclusions still would not be true even if every detail were?

[Image: muzzle-loader-explodes-at-gun-range]
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 2, 2020 at 10:48 am)SUNGULA Wrote:
(June 2, 2020 at 10:35 am)The Valkyrie Wrote: So, when it comes down to it all you can do is start a stream of insults for those who disagree with you?
Yup it's all he's got now the simply reciting apologetics has failed .

(June 2, 2020 at 10:37 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: I'm happy to water the cabbages until such a time as they're fit for mod harvest.  Wink
The sooner the better .

Nah. Keep him going. This kid is a hoot.
(June 2, 2020 at 1:22 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: The five minute old universe is thoroughly silly.  Suppose it was five minutes old..but for whatever reason and however it came to be this way...it appeared to all the world and had every detail in common with a much older universe.  

The setup is claiming that no relevant fact which informs the conclusion of old age is false, and then quixotically asking us to consider that the conclusion is..nevertheless..false.  Fine...but we're being asked to prove something when, if this could be the case, nothing could be proven.  

It asks us to consider the possibility that even when we're in the possession of sound and true premises, and we use those premises in a valid form, we still couldn't trust the conclusion.  A complete retreat into irrationalism cannot make demands of rational processes, because it does not believe in rational processes, or..indeed...so much as a rationally intelligible universe.

The unreliability of a rational process to reach true conclusions in an irrational universe is uninformative, and would be expected.  Rationally speaking, ofc, but since we've dispensed with all reason.......

I'd even say that the notion is far more harmful to god beliefs than anything else, particularly when the believer thinks that all evidence points to some fairy.  

What, all of the evidence that could have been manufactured five minutes ago and whose conclusions still would not be true even if every detail were?

[Image: muzzle-loader-explodes-at-gun-range]

It is as valuable and un-falsifiable as last thursdayism, solipsism, or brain in a vat, Matrix style simulation theory.

Me, I start with reality is real as a basic belief then proceed from there. I am agnostic about most things; it is the most intellectually honest way to hold ones mind.

I'm genuinely dissapointed with our new theist. At first he took umbrage with name calling but has resorted to the very act that he appeared to abhor.

Two tears in a bucket; mother fuck it.
For those not in the know - the above post - it is not the gun blowing up. 

The dumbass left his blackpowder sitting on the bench OPEN. When he fired the muzzleloader - a spark from the barrel drifted into the open pound of powder.

I have seen it happen in r/l......
(June 2, 2020 at 3:53 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: For those not in the know - the above post - it is not the gun blowing up. 

The dumbass left his blackpowder sitting on the bench OPEN. When he fired the muzzleloader - a spark from the barrel drifted into the open pound of powder.

I have seen it happen in r/l......
Obviously. But I have never seen it happen in RL

I guess that is why the Darwin awards exist.

(June 2, 2020 at 10:02 am)SUNGULA Wrote:
(June 2, 2020 at 10:00 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Well, okay.  Have fun yelling at the clouds, for as long as you remain, I guess?

As i said he's not here to talk about anything . He's just here to stir shit up
Well, you, I and others actually have written substantive replies to his claims, and those are the replies he carefully ignores.

Instead, he waits for the inevitable "No response? Then fuck off" and preferentially responds to those instead. That is not accidental behaviour.

In no small part, this has happened because we didn't follow the script he had, and now he lashes out because he has no other tactic. It just isn't in his script. 

He was taught in Sunday school, or religious ed, or seminary that if he says this, the evil atheists will reply with that.

The sad part of it is that he will not go back to his tutors and tell them that they were wrong. He will go back and ask them why he failed.

That is what religion does to people. Intentionally.