Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 10:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Too PC for me.
RE: Too PC for me.
Good for learning from experience.

Bad from a knee, hip and general flexibility standpoint...
I'm putting this comment here because it's the same issue, just a different manifestation.

DC Comics has announced that Superman's motto will be updated to "Truth, Justice and a better tomorrow", replacing "Truth, Justice and the American Way". I'm sure not everyone here is a comic book or Superman fan, but this has already started to stir controversy. To me this is an appropriate correction that is decades behind. I can understand that when Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster created the character it was a very different time, but Superman is an alien. He really should represent more than just one country. It was understandable that the illusion of the USA as a bastion of justice and fairness in the early 20th century made this possible but we all know better now. Keeping the slogan seems antiquated. Updating it is reasonable. And why do people get so hung up on antiquated ideas? Its a comic book character that two kids made up almost a century ago.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
(October 22, 2021 at 5:34 pm)Spongebob Wrote: I'm putting this comment here because it's the same issue, just a different manifestation.

DC Comics has announced that Superman's motto will be updated to "Truth, Justice and a better tomorrow", replacing "Truth, Justice and the American Way".  I'm sure not everyone here is a comic book or Superman fan, but this has already started to stir controversy.  To me this is an appropriate correction that is decades behind.  I can understand that when Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster created the character it was a very different time, but Superman is an alien.  He really should represent more than just one country.  It was understandable that the illusion of the USA as a bastion of justice and fairness in the early 20th century made this possible but we all know better now.  Keeping the slogan seems antiquated.  Updating it is reasonable.  And why do people get so hung up on antiquated ideas?  Its a comic book character that two kids made up almost a century ago.

Yeah, IMO American Way probably needed to go, but 'a better tomorrow' is a bit limp for a superhero.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
True. Maybe it should be Truth, Justice and Kickin' some ass.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
(October 22, 2021 at 5:34 pm)Spongebob Wrote: I'm putting this comment here because it's the same issue, just a different manifestation.

DC Comics has announced that Superman's motto will be updated to "Truth, Justice and a better tomorrow", replacing "Truth, Justice and the American Way".  I'm sure not everyone here is a comic book or Superman fan, but this has already started to stir controversy.  To me this is an appropriate correction that is decades behind.  I can understand that when Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster created the character it was a very different time, but Superman is an alien.  He really should represent more than just one country.  It was understandable that the illusion of the USA as a bastion of justice and fairness in the early 20th century made this possible but we all know better now.  Keeping the slogan seems antiquated.  Updating it is reasonable.  And why do people get so hung up on antiquated ideas?  Its a comic book character that two kids made up almost a century ago.

Have loved superman since I was 5. Radio serial, set in Australia. Among other things, Superman once played cricket (brilliantly of course) when he had amnesia .Don't remember that American Way bullshit. (whatever  it actually means, if anything). But, the comic was written for an American audience, so they could say what they liked. As I got older I understood Superman was American and lived in America where he did all that great stuff. Same goes for all of the tedious number of marvel characters and their world

I consider political correctness a four letter word beloved by politicians and other bottom feeders.

Having said that, I'm aware that people generally don't like change. We like it even less as we get older . I don't subscribe to any theory of social change. To me change is a continuum.  Unless it effects us personally, we either don't notice or don't care.  Changes in language are also constant. Official  changes  (political correctness) either stick or they do not.  I do my best to simply ignore the ones I don't like. Of special interest is the neutering of language. Eg I still say 'actress' when I mean a female actress. Or aviatrix for a female aviator. There were once typistes  and comptometristes. Those words fade with activity they described.
(October 22, 2021 at 5:48 pm)brewer Wrote:

Yeah, IMO American Way probably needed to go, but 'a better tomorrow' is a bit limp for a superhero.

Maybe a true Superman would guide a declining America back to the virtues that made America great and the kind of America worthy of its principles...you know rather than give up on the nation that raised him into the generous and couragous being he became...give up for some cosmopolitain identity.
<insert profound quote here>
(October 22, 2021 at 6:09 pm)Oldandeasilyconfused Wrote:  Have loved superman since I was 5. Radio serial, set in Australia. Among other things, Superman once played cricket (brilliantly of course) when he had amnesia .Don't remember that American Way bullshit. (whatever  it actually means, if anything). But, the comic was written for an American audience, so they could say what they liked. As I got older I understood Superman was American and lived in America where he did all that great stuff. Same goes for all of the tedious number of marvel characters and their world

I consider political correctness a four letter word beloved by politicians and other bottom feeders.

Having said that, I'm aware that people generally don't like change. We like it even less as we get older . I don't subscribe to any theory of social change. To me change is a continuum.  Unless it effects us personally, we either don't notice or don't care.  Changes in language are also constant. Official  changes  (political correctness) either stick or they do not.  I do my best to simply ignore the ones I don't like. Of special interest is the neutering of language. Eg I still say 'actress' when I mean a female actress. Or aviatrix for a female aviator. There were once typistes  and comptometristes. Those words fade with activity they described.

If you enjoyed the old radio shows, you might like to know that you can still find them on podcasts.  Don't remember the name but its easy to find if you search for Superman.

I do find it funny that people become so possessive of something that was created as a product and has been a profit generating franchise for decades.  The motto is not really used all that much.  It wasn't even used in his earliest enterprises, which refers to Superman defending truth and justice, but no mention of the American way.  That wasn't added until the 40's when world war broke out.  Funny how Americans always tack on god or American Way to our catch phrases when we feel threatened.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
(October 22, 2021 at 6:26 pm)Spongebob Wrote: Funny how Americans always tack on god or American Way to our catch phrases when we feel threatened.

Makes one wonder if this instinct has a survival and/or reproductive advantage.
<insert profound quote here>
(October 22, 2021 at 6:09 pm)Oldandeasilyconfused Wrote:

Have loved superman since I was 5. Radio serial, set in Australia. Among other things, Superman once played cricket (brilliantly of course) when he had amnesia .Don't remember that American Way bullshit. (whatever  it actually means, if anything). But, the comic was written for an American audience, so they could say what they liked. As I got older I understood Superman was American and lived in America where he did all that great stuff. Same goes for all of the tedious number of marvel characters and their world

When I clerked for an insurance company in '72, I used a Comptometer for the calculations. I hadn't ever thought about having comptometrist (male?) as a job title. One day the motor quit, and the boss gave me the hand crank. I used that for a couple of days until a repairman came out. He laughed at that antique. The boss took me over to a local store and we picked out a 10-key adder with a digital screen. It was a Canon, and I recall that it was a couple of hundred bucks, at the time. 

As far as Superman goes, I saw a cartoon series way back when I watched TV that was produced in China (I think). The characters had epicanthal folds, and the bromide went "...truth and justice...". No American way, even way back then.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
[Image: MV5BMTUwODY3Mzc1MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTIzMDE5._V1_.jpg]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NRA, too many hands in the cookie jar? Gawdzilla Sama 11 951 November 28, 2020 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Obama: This simple '60 Minutes' question was 'too tough' for Trump WinterHold 7 873 October 31, 2020 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  The Lady Doth Protest Too Much, Methinks - Hysterical White Middle Class BLM Activism Duty 31 2229 July 1, 2020 at 5:44 am
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  When Irony Is Too Good To Ignore BrianSoddingBoru4 13 2955 July 8, 2019 at 7:57 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Too stupid to let loose Mr.Obvious 5 970 October 27, 2018 at 5:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  This is just too good brewer 5 727 October 15, 2018 at 9:09 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  And this figures, too Minimalist 0 324 September 10, 2018 at 6:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I'm Sure The WLB Will Pardon This Asshole, Too Minimalist 0 413 August 30, 2018 at 2:59 pm
  Looks As If Brexit Is Complicated, Too. Minimalist 10 1458 June 23, 2018 at 12:16 pm
  Does She Get $130G Too? How About The Boinkee? Minimalist 10 1714 May 8, 2018 at 10:12 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0