Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 21, 2024, 10:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Sects of Atheism
RE: The Sects of Atheism
There was an obnoxiously large print of that hanging in the bathroom directly opposite the shitter when I was growing up.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 1, 2021 at 6:28 pm)GaryAnderson Wrote: Thank you. You sound like a true atheist,

Thank you. I try.

Quote:but I’m waiting for one here to give me the correct answer.

Well, if you have the correct answer, spit it out. Don't keep us in suspense.

Quote:I am going to call this sect “The Meat Machines”. Meat Machines are basically people whose value is just that. Meat. We will get to this later.

Nobody here believes that. (Except maybe The Valkyrie.)

Quote:Your answer on soul, skirts on philosophy though and based on your position as “lack of belief” you shouldn’t delve into any philosophy. Do you agree/disagree with this?

Ummm. I disagree. Because a philosopher is someone who tries to understand reality. Not someone who has the correct answer. Not someone who "knows things" or "believes things." In fact a famous adage of an almost-universally revered philosopher (Socrates) is "The only thing I know is that I don't know." Tracing the line from ignorance to knowledge is what a philosopher tries to do. You do that by discarding assumptions and starting from scratch. Not by assuming things.

Also, I have beliefs. Just not god-beliefs. I believe I'm sitting on a chair right now. I believe my front porch light is on. I'm agnostic about God. Not everything.
Don't know how to tell you this, but, the afterlife is pay to play.

Thank you very much, have a nice day.
Hard pass.
(November 1, 2021 at 6:05 pm)GaryAnderson Wrote: Hello. I’m new here. I’m a believer in God. In Jesus more specifically. 
In this topic I’d like to discuss some definitions and where this leads you as a person. 

Can you please describe what and where you are in a belief system? Or no belief system? Or lack of belief?

Once you’ve answered that, can you please answer the following: What can you tell me about souls and the existence of an afterlife?

Thank you.

I am an agnostic atheist.  I do not think it is possible to determine with certainty whether or not something is a god (that's the agnostic aspect), and I do not believe that gods exist (hence my identification as an atheist).

I also identify as a humanist and a stoic, observe Old Norse holiday traditions (Scandinavian on my mother's side), and practice mindfulness meditation.

I do not believe in souls, nor do I believe that life after death is possible.
Yes, there are many sects of atheism.

Cute atheists are those who think theists lack evidence, 

Less cute atheists think there is positively no God (100% certainty).

Then you have militant atheists who go out and actively preach their lack of belief

and then, at the Pol Pot level, atheists rigorously apply natural selection to entire populations.
No Klor now back to getting your ass kicked on physics and the meaning of life
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(November 2, 2021 at 12:12 am)Klorophyll Wrote: Yes, there are many sects of atheism.

Cute atheists are those who think theists lack evidence, 

Less cute atheists think there is positively no God (100% certainty).

Then you have militant atheists who go out and actively preach their lack of belief

and then, at the Pol Pot level, atheists rigorously apply natural selection to entire populations.

Bullshit.
Quote:Yes, there are many sects of atheism.
There are none

Quote:Cute atheists are those who think theists lack evidence, 
So people who point out the FACT you don't have any evidence 

Quote:Less cute atheists think there is positively no God (100% certainty).
Nope

Quote:Then you have militant atheists who go out and actively preach their lack of belief
Nah people who actively point out theist preach without any evidence 

Quote:and then, at the Pol Pot level, atheists rigorously apply natural selection to entire populations.
Not even wrong 

Congrats you have once demonstrated how ill-informed and dishonest you are .....Again  Dodgy

Now go back to losing on every other thread you spew your rubbish on.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(November 2, 2021 at 12:12 am)Klorophyll Wrote: Then you have militant atheists who go out and actively preach their lack of belief

You know, I hear about these guys alot...but I never run into a recruiter?  Is that a big problem in your country?  People out in the streets pushing their non belief on other people?  Does your government do anything about those people?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 29122 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 13365 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12643 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10797 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12430 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 39578 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack