Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 14, 2024, 2:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Noteworthy News
RE: Noteworthy News
SCOTUS Amy brought up the old Canard about body autonomy and vaccines. That shit does not apply to abortions. With vaccines and masks, those are like wearing seatbelts and putting your toddler in a car seat. You can't spread a pregnancy like a virus.
(December 1, 2021 at 11:40 am)Brian37 Wrote: Listening to the SCOTUS Abortion case right now. It really fucking pisses me off that men comment on female bodies they don't own and act like they have PHD medical degrees. This shit was settled law 50 years ago. America's right wing minority is dragging us back in time. 

The core of the right's argument are two pronged. 1. There is no language in the original Constitution that talks about abortion. 2. The old states rights argument. Both are horrible arguments. There also was no right for a long time for women to vote. There was no right for interracial marriage. There was no right for same sex marriage. None of those are written into the Constitution either. But times change and society changes. The majority of Americans want to keep abortion legal. 

Abortion IS a Constitutional right. If the SCOTUS sides with the right, it will simply drive females into unsafe conditions when desperate. Wealthy females will still get abortions if they want. They can simply out of the country and get one where it is legal. This is nothing more than class and religious and race warfare.

I cant begin to tell you over the decades, where I'd hear some right wing religious person, or right wing politician, scream abortion is murder, only to find out that man had an affair and paid for an abortion.

Quote the section of the constitution that enshrines abortion as a right.

Edit to add - 1000 dipshit points awarded to the first one that claims I am anti-woman.
The Supreme Court has multiple times recognized abortion constitutionally protected right  Dodgy
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(December 1, 2021 at 12:30 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(December 1, 2021 at 11:40 am)Brian37 Wrote: Listening to the SCOTUS Abortion case right now. It really fucking pisses me off that men comment on female bodies they don't own and act like they have PHD medical degrees. This shit was settled law 50 years ago. America's right wing minority is dragging us back in time. 

The core of the right's argument are two pronged. 1. There is no language in the original Constitution that talks about abortion. 2. The old states rights argument. Both are horrible arguments. There also was no right for a long time for women to vote. There was no right for interracial marriage. There was no right for same sex marriage. None of those are written into the Constitution either. But times change and society changes. The majority of Americans want to keep abortion legal. 

Abortion IS a Constitutional right. If the SCOTUS sides with the right, it will simply drive females into unsafe conditions when desperate. Wealthy females will still get abortions if they want. They can simply out of the country and get one where it is legal. This is nothing more than class and religious and race warfare.

I cant begin to tell you over the decades, where I'd hear some right wing religious person, or right wing politician, scream abortion is murder, only to find out that man had an affair and paid for an abortion.

Quote the section of the constitution that enshrines abortion as a right.

Edit to add - 1000 dipshit points awarded to the first one that claims I am anti-woman.

There isn’t one, which doesn’t mean that the right to an abortion isn’t constitutionally protected. Multiple courts have ruled that the rights to privacy and equal protection under the law are inherent in the Fourteenth Amendment, and that the right to an abortion is included in those rights.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(December 1, 2021 at 2:07 pm)Helios Wrote: The Supreme Court has multiple times recognized abortion constitutionally protected right  Dodgy

Preaching to the sane.
(December 1, 2021 at 3:20 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(December 1, 2021 at 2:07 pm)Helios Wrote: The Supreme Court has multiple times recognized abortion constitutionally protected right  Dodgy

Preaching to the sane.

Hey asshole - you didn' t answer - where is the right to abortion in the US Constitution?

Boru had it half right - IT ISN'T IN THE CONSTITUTION.

But - the 10th ammendment does say that anything not left up to the Federal government is left up to the states or the people.

I am firmly on the side of giving women the right to self determination of reproducing. 

For it to be a given right - a Constitutional Converntion should be called and an ammendment made.

Trying to wiggle it in under another ammendment is going to be a fucked up bandaid that will make this an issue for generations. 

Like slavery. It was wrong - so they changed the Constitution.
(December 1, 2021 at 4:48 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(December 1, 2021 at 3:20 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Preaching to the sane.

Hey asshole - you didn' t answer - where is the right to abortion in the US Constitution?

But - the 10th ammendment does say that anything not left up to the Federal government is left up to the states or the people.

I am firmly on the side of giving women the right to self determination of reproducing. 

For it to be a given right - a Constitutional Converntion should be called and an ammendment made.

Trying to wiggle it in under another ammendment is going to be a fucked up bandaid that will make this an issue for generations. 

There doesn’t need to be an amendment made. Placing non-textually specified rights under existing amendments is - in large part - what courts are for.

Consider and issue near and dear to you - the right to bear arms. Does this mean firearms or does it mean swords and pikes? Certain kinds of ‘arms’ are allowed (and others not) even though they are not textually specified in the Constitution. Your FF were clever enough to make amendments as broad as possible.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
Quote:Hey asshole - you didn' t answer - where is the right to abortion in the US Constitution?

1. Doesn't require an amendment to be made 

2. If you have an issue take it up with the supreme court. Abortion IS a constitutional right

(December 1, 2021 at 4:58 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 1, 2021 at 4:48 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Hey asshole - you didn' t answer - where is the right to abortion in the US Constitution?

There doesn’t need to be an amendment made. Placing non-textually specified rights under existing amendments is - in large part - what courts are for.

Consider and issue near and dear to you - the right to bear arms. Does this mean firearms or does it mean swords and pikes? Certain kinds of ‘arms’ are allowed (and others not) even though they are not textually specified in the Constitution. Your FF were clever enough to make amendments as broad as possible.

Boru
I have asked this before can I legally own a spray can of anthrax or VX nerve after all it's a handheld weapon under the right to bear arms?
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

From Wikipedia -

Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113 (1973),[1] was a landmark decision of the U.S. Supreme Court in which the Court ruled that the Constitution of the United States protects a pregnant woman's liberty to choose to have an abortion without excessive government restriction. It struck down many U.S. federal and state abortion laws,[2][3] and prompted an ongoing national debate in the United States about whether and to what extent abortion should be legal, who should decide the legality of abortion, what methods the Supreme Court should use in constitutional adjudication, and what the role of religious and moral views in the political sphere should be. Roe v. Wade reshaped American politics, dividing much of the United States into abortion rights and anti-abortion movements, while activating grassroots movements on both sides.

Bold mine - here's the hitch - what is and what is not excessive government restriction.  That's what's up for grabs.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Any government intrusion is excessive when it approaches a party shibboleth - but no government intrusion is excessive enough when it restricts the opposition shibboleth.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Black/White people news thread for all news current, historical, or otherwise. Huggy Bear 77 4932 February 14, 2022 at 2:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  "News" Which Is Not "News" To Anyone Minimalist 0 565 May 24, 2018 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Fox news its just pure idiocy its not news its Satire dyresand 3 1618 May 17, 2015 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Brian37