Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2024, 3:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What has Christianity truly contributed to humanity
RE: What has Christianity truly contributed to humanity
Why pray for anything when your magic sky despot knows the answer already?
(July 30, 2023 at 4:40 am)Nishant Xavier Wrote: Now, let's make the Positive Case that Christianity is Good and Great even irrespective of the question of its Truth before coming to the objections:

1. The Moral Greatness of and Goodness of Christianity is proven by the Goodness and Greatness of its Divine Founder:

Genetic fallacy.

(July 30, 2023 at 4:40 am)Nishant Xavier Wrote: 2. Second, Jesus Christ is the Only One in All History Who has ever taught to love not only one's Friends, but even those who wrongly consider you their Enemy, i.e. your so-called Enemies, and nobody else has said to Love One's Enemies than Jesus Christ. He said this in His Famous Sermon on the Mount:

False.

Buddha said, “Even if low-down bandits were to sever you limb from limb, anyone who had a malevolent thought on that account would not be following my instructions.”

https://suttacentral.net/mn21/en/sujato
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
False. That's no Genetic Fallacy. Rather, it is proof of the Truth of the Greatness of Christianity according to the Teaching of its Divine Founder.

To your 2nd point, that's a Nice Teaching from Buddha. You should know the Early Christians accepted Good wherever it was found, as I do also. I believe in Perennial Philosophy, there are Elements of Goodness and Truth in every religion, at least every major religion, hidden there by God as a preparation for the Gospel out of Love for the people still in your errors. Now, according to your 1st point, though, I could claim it is a "Genetic Fallacy" to cite Buddha on Buddhism.

I don't. Yet I think it's clear Christ's Teaching is Far Greater and goes beyond that. Christ says to pray for them, bless them, and this is what the Early Christians did when Bigoted Christophobic Roman Pagans threw them to Lions. Those did evil, but Christians loved them and prayed for them to be saved, even sacrificing their lives praying for that, as Jesus Christ, the First and Great Martyr, Whose Blood washes away all sin, did for the Entire Human Race, even His Enemies.
Look at that, in 2k years of progress, christians went from "the devil made our religion look like other religions" to "god made other religions look like our religion".

As for bigoted christophobic romans throwing christians to the lions..sure, but those romans also happened to be christians as well. Historically, no one has ever hated christians quite as much as other christians do. I can see how it happened, christians can't seem to stop being dicks to christians.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 30, 2023 at 7:43 am)Nishant Xavier Wrote: False. That's no Genetic Fallacy. Rather, it is proof of the Truth of the Greatness of Christianity according to the Teaching of its Divine Founder.

Denying the obvious just makes you foolish.

(July 30, 2023 at 7:43 am)Nishant Xavier Wrote: Now, according to your 1st point, though, I could claim it is a "Genetic Fallacy" to cite Buddha on Buddhism.

Since the point was about the falsehood of your statement, and not any trait of Buddhism, this is a nonsequitur. It's irrelevant. A red herring.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Totally False, those Romans were Pagans at the time. You don't know what you're talking about.

After Rome became Christian, we have St. Patrick coming to help save Ireland for Christ through Evangelism and Mass Miracles.

Shortly thereafter, we have St. Augustine of Canterbury sent by Pope St. Gregory the Great coming to help win England for Christ through Evangelism and Mass Miracles.

Both England and Ireland were Pagan or Polytheistic Countries before Christianity educated them there is Only One True God, Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Christians are also working together in this Last Great Decade before the 2000th Anniversary of Christ's Resurrection like never before in history.
They just can't stop being dicks to anyone. That's because they love the cock. They long to be doused in its holy water.
(July 30, 2023 at 7:49 am)Angrboda Wrote:
(July 30, 2023 at 7:43 am)Nishant Xavier Wrote: False. That's no Genetic Fallacy. Rather, it is proof of the Truth of the Greatness of Christianity according to the Teaching of its Divine Founder.

Denying the obvious just makes you foolish.

(July 30, 2023 at 7:43 am)Nishant Xavier Wrote: Now, according to your 1st point, though, I could claim it is a "Genetic Fallacy" to cite Buddha on Buddhism.

Since the point was about the falsehood of your statement, and not any trait of Buddhism, this is a nonsequitur.  It's irrelevant.  A red herring.

False on both counts. 

Let's examine them more closely.

"The genetic fallacy is the act of rejecting or accepting an argument on the basis of its origin rather than its content. Under the genetic fallacy, we judge a claim by paying too much attention to its source or history, even though this criticism is irrelevant to the truth of the claim." 

https://www.scribbr.com/fallacies/genetic-fallacy/

Citing Christ on Christianity or Buddha on Buddhism is not a Genetic Fallacy.
You should do a little research Nish. Don't worry, you'll always be able to correct your misapprehension by saying that history is a marxist plot.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 30, 2023 at 7:50 am)no one Wrote: They just can't stop being dicks to anyone. That's because they love the cock. They long to be doused in its holy water.

Oh I know, but they tend to practice whatever horror they want to see in the world next on their own, first.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Little Wine From Corinth: A Short Dialogue by Yours Truly Mudhammam 2 1011 April 9, 2017 at 6:53 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 7610 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Christianity has gotten Lazy with the miracles: Spooky 59 15362 December 25, 2014 at 11:19 am
Last Post: Nope
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8817 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 19067 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Pope; gay marriage threat to humanity's future Dee Dee Ramone 34 11150 December 26, 2012 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Lucifer/Satan the Tragic Hero of humanity gorgonopsid 5 7186 November 8, 2011 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: R-e-n-n-a-t