Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christianity has gotten Lazy with the miracles:
Christianity has gotten Lazy with the miracles:
The Bible tells many tales of impressive miracles, to name a few off the top of my head:

Fire on a soaked bull carcass
Dew on fleece <Oddly unimpressive by biblical standards.
Water to wine
Walking on water
Raising the Dead
Curing blindness
Burning bush <I could recreate this Smile
Moses parting the red sea
Jesus feeds thousands
Et Cetera

Minus all the coincidences many attribute to miracles nowadays, it seems like there were more nifty displays "Back then". Dammit I want to see a show, what gives Christianity?
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
RE: Christianity has gotten Lazy with the miracles:
Just ask Cat Stevens:
Quote:In 1976 Stevens nearly drowned off the coast of Malibu, California, United States, and said he shouted: "Oh God! If you save me I will work for you." He related that right afterward a wave appeared and carried him back to shore. This brush with death intensified his long-held quest for spiritual truth.
Oh, right. God's miracle led him to Islam. Whoops!
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
well lets make a miracle for them we set a bush on fire use 2 way walkie talkies and a speaker and make it sound like god is
talking to them.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
I've gotten plenty of bush hot before, but I've always thought setting it on fire was a bit ... well ... kinky.

(December 16, 2014 at 5:08 pm)dyresand Wrote: well lets make a miracle for them we set a bush on fire use 2 way walkie talkies and a speaker and make it sound like god is
talking to them.

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Many of the biblical miracles couldn't be attributed to trickery or coincidence. Moses parting the red sea, and the walking on water come to mind. Oh and I'll add one:

Jesus commanding the weather. Why does the modern man not deserve the same proof?
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Recording technology and mass communications are the new iron chariots. Poor God. Now all he's left with is a group of slimy, dipshit apologists for friends and a low-paying position as gofer for people's car keys.
Finding all those car keys is a miracle though.
(December 16, 2014 at 5:19 pm)Elskidor Wrote: Finding all those car keys is a miracle though.

My dog finds car keys. She can also raise the dead with her barking. If she would just learn to turn water to wine, I'd be rich.
I have a way of summing this up (Yec timeframe)

6,000 years ago god was capable of creating the universe from nothing
4,000 years ago God could flood the world and wipe out all life
2,000 years ago God was capable of feeding thousands
1000 years ago God could inspire whole armies to invade the Holy Land
500 Years ago God could inspire his followers to burn witches
Now, god can make appearances on grilled cheese sandwiches.

Witness, if you will, the diminishing power of "god".
Dying to live, living to die.
(December 16, 2014 at 5:32 pm)Beccs Wrote: I have a way of summing this up (Yec timeframe)

6,000 years ago god was capable of creating the universe from nothing
4,000 years ago God could flood the world and wipe out all life
2,000 years ago God was capable of feeding thousands
1000 years ago God could inspire whole armies to invade the Holy Land
500 Years ago God could inspire his followers to burn witches
Now, god can make appearances on grilled cheese sandwiches.

Witness, if you will, the diminishing power of "god".

It was bound to happen after the steroid ban. I hear god's fastball lost 4-5 MPH, as well.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What has Christianity truly contributed to humanity The Valkyrie 415 21541 August 23, 2023 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Three in five British adults say miracles are possible zebo-the-fat 15 1991 September 30, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  What's gotten into Italians? brewer 21 3026 March 5, 2018 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Miracles in Christianity - how to answer KiwiNFLFan 89 18573 December 24, 2017 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  How does "Science prove that the miracles of the Bible did not happen" ? Emzap 62 11238 November 4, 2016 at 2:05 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6788 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Jesus' imperfect miracles. Brakeman 32 7130 June 25, 2015 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: robvalue
Rainbow Bloody miracles from a bloody cult. Bob Kelso 22 4788 March 26, 2015 at 11:24 am
Last Post: KevinM1
  miracles and circumstances k2490 35 8781 June 2, 2014 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Is the Holy Spirit lazy or ineffective? RobbyPants 21 8430 April 25, 2014 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: ThomM