Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 4, 2024, 8:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Why are you (still) a Christian?
RE: Why are you (still) a Christian?
(September 14, 2023 at 9:47 pm)Data Wrote: I thought anti-theists were just against theists. You specifically rule out something that doesn't exist? But what of all of the gods that do exist? Moses...
No archaeological evidence been discovered in Egypt or the Sinai to support the story in which Moses is the central figure, and no wonder, since the work was created during the Babylonian Vacation in the 6th Century BCE.
(September 14, 2023 at 12:50 pm)Bucky Ball Wrote: Exactly. The Witch says she saw "elohim" arising. You didn't even look at this did you ?

I didn't this time but I have many times before.  

(September 14, 2023 at 12:50 pm)Bucky Ball Wrote: "The medium says that she sees "Elohim" "arising" (she uses "elohim" in plural, but the apparition becomes singular in Saul's response) from the ground, using the word typically translated as "god(s)" to refer to the spirit of the dead. This is also paralleled by the use of the Akkadian cognate word "god" in a similar fashion."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_of_E...ed%20me%3F

I don't see any point in this. I see nothing to disagree with. I think you are only failing to see variations in interpretation. So what of the Akkadian?

Maybe some confusion on your part as to why the plural? Uh . . . what of 1 Samuel 5:7 with Dagon; 1 Kings 11:5 with the “goddess” Ashtoreth; Daniel 1:2 with Marduk. All plural. All singular. Majesty.
(September 14, 2023 at 9:54 pm)Data Wrote:
(September 14, 2023 at 9:52 pm)LinuxGal Wrote: So you're saying the Bible contradicts itself.  That is literally the only reason I don't believe in the god of the Bible.

The only reason? Literally there is a hyperbolic intensifier? How is it a contradiction?

Isaiah represents the final state of Hebrew theology (monotheism) while the sin of idolatry remaining on the books points to the henotheism of the earlier centuries.  Worshiping another god when Yahweh was the only god makes as much sense as a man and woman alone on a deserted island worrying about adultery.
(September 14, 2023 at 10:01 pm)LinuxGal Wrote:
(September 14, 2023 at 9:47 pm)Data Wrote: I thought anti-theists were just against theists. You specifically rule out something that doesn't exist? But what of all of the gods that do exist? Moses...
No archaeological evidence been discovered in Egypt or the Sinai to support the story in which Moses is the central figure, and no wonder, since the work was created during the Babylonian Vacation in the 6th Century BCE.

Okay. Switching gears. I hear you. I disagree that there isn't any evidence of Moses, there's thousands of years of evidence for Moses, but let's set that aside for now and you tell me what evidence there is for the work having been created during the Babylonian exile of the 6th Century BCE.

Data, 
Moses was an entirely mythical figure.
The very best archeologists have no evidence for him.
There is not a shred of evidence anyone ever (except your ignorant unsupported redefinitions) that anyone thought of Moses as a "god". 
He was a prophet. Your pathetic redefinitions are supported by no scholars anywhere, and you can cite none.
The stories of him portray an entirely human man with no divine powers.
You do know I hope, Daniel is entirely debunked as a forgery.

I don't waste my time with ignorant bullshitters, such as you.
There are no gods, and never were.
Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble. - Joseph Campbell  Popcorn

Militant Atheist Commie Evolutionist 
(September 14, 2023 at 10:08 pm)LinuxGal Wrote: Isaiah represents the final state of Hebrew theology (monotheism) while the sin of idolatry remaining on the books points to the henotheism of the earlier centuries.  Worshiping another god when Yahweh was the only god makes as much sense as a man and woman alone on a deserted island worrying about adultery.

I don't think that holds any water because henotheism seems to be the theological consensus from Genesis through Revelation. I think the problem with your adherence to that ideology as an unbeliever is the traditional academic theology, with skeptics that theology (sometimes Christian, sometimes Jewish) gets in the way. It's a sort of appeal to authority that overcomplicates and obfuscates what is ironically in the scholarly approach of a skeptic but oddly dependent upon the traditional interpretation.

So, we see something different in the same scholarly sources, but the explanation varies. That's why I prefer Wikipedia. It may not be as credible but you can see various interpretations. That's why, at least when examining the subject you need to think for yourself.
(September 14, 2023 at 10:27 pm)Bucky Ball Wrote: There is not a shred of evidence anyone ever (except your ignorant unsupported redefinitions) that anyone thought of Moses as a god. He was a prophet. Yo0ur pathetic redefinitions are supported by no scholars anywhere.
You do know I hope, Daniel is entirely debunked as a forgery.

I gave the scriptural support. You agree elohim means god(s). The Hebrew says elohim.
(September 14, 2023 at 10:07 pm)Data Wrote:
(September 14, 2023 at 12:50 pm)Bucky Ball Wrote: Exactly. The Witch says she saw "elohim" arising. You didn't even look at this did you ?

I didn't this time but I have many times before.  

(September 14, 2023 at 12:50 pm)Bucky Ball Wrote: "The medium says that she sees "Elohim" "arising" (she uses "elohim" in plural, but the apparition becomes singular in Saul's response) from the ground, using the word typically translated as "god(s)" to refer to the spirit of the dead. This is also paralleled by the use of the Akkadian cognate word "god" in a similar fashion."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_of_E...ed%20me%3F

I don't see any point in this. I see nothing to disagree with. I think you are only failing to see variations in interpretation. So what of the Akkadian?

Maybe some confusion on your part as to why the plural? Uh . . . what of 1 Samuel 5:7 with Dagon; 1 Kings 11:5 with the “goddess” Ashtoreth; Daniel 1:2 with Marduk. All plural. All singular. Majesty.

There is no confusion here. You're nothing but yet another self-taught internet fraud with no formal education on the subject. 
It's not a matter of interpretation. The word "elohim" was used, which meant a "divine being".
Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble. - Joseph Campbell  Popcorn

Militant Atheist Commie Evolutionist 
(September 14, 2023 at 10:19 pm)Data Wrote:
(September 14, 2023 at 10:01 pm)LinuxGal Wrote: No archaeological evidence been discovered in Egypt or the Sinai to support the story in which Moses is the central figure, and no wonder, since the work was created during the Babylonian Vacation in the 6th Century BCE.

Okay. Switching gears. I hear you. I disagree that there isn't any evidence of Moses, there's thousands of years of evidence for Moses, but let's set that aside for now and you tell me what evidence there is for the work having been created during the Babylonian exile of the 6th Century BCE.

Genesis 11:28 And Haran died before his father Terah in the land of his nativity, in Ur of the Chaldees.

The Chaldeans did not exist until 1,300 years after Abraham was supposed to exist, and 500 years after Moses, if he existed, was said to have died.  Yet they were contemporary with Babylon during the captivity.  This is called an anachronism. It's a "whoopsie" that reveals that someone is lying about when their scroll was written.  I'm sure Bucky Ball will weigh in too.
(September 14, 2023 at 10:36 pm)Bucky Ball Wrote: It's not a matter of interpretation. The word "elohim" was used, which meant a "divine being".

Correct. Divine being. A god. Like Moses, Jesus, the judges, angels, some of which are demons. Satan is a god. 2 Corinthians 4:4

Are you saying that divinity, that is being of, from, or like God or a god (Oxford dictionary definition) doesn't include, men, angels, demons, Satan?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still Angry about Abraham and Isaac zwanzig 29 2256 October 1, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 9430 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 1751 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 91858 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  So, are the Boils of Egypt still a 'thing' ?? vorlon13 26 5912 May 8, 2018 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 3001 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Irational fear of hell still naggs me from time to time Arsoo 103 28456 November 9, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Why i became a protestant Christian Rispri 34 7024 February 16, 2017 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Lek
  There is still time to covert to Christianity before Christmas! Loading Please Wait 12 3346 January 29, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: The Wise Joker
  Still room on the org chart for this creep vorlon13 12 2949 January 29, 2016 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: vorlon13