Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 10:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Argument against atheism
RE: Argument against atheism
there is nothing arrogant about my argument. I never claimed it was correct. I actually wanted to discuss it and thought this would be an appropriate forum since I assumed most atheists would disagree. Instead, all I have gotten is hate for espousing a completely logical and rational argument contrary to an atheistic viewpoint. I don't really see what post I have made that was disrespectful to people of any belief. I am not splitting any hairs over the definitions of words; if you think that anything I have stated is wrong that's fine, there very well may be things that are wrong, just try to explain why they are wrong logically rather than just calling me an R-Tard or whatever insults you guys use here.

You claim I am hoping that you "won't see the forest for the trees", I really don't know what you mean by that. I am not hoping you believe or accept the argument one way or the other. All I hoped for was actual discussion about the argument, not baseless name calling and nay-saying.

You call it a word salad, but still not one person has even responded to the argument. It's like I'm talking to children. If I made a logical argument for why atheism was a correct view to have, and posted it on a Christian forum, I expect I would get similar reactions... the truth of the argument doesn't matter to many it seems, the mere fact that it is against atheism seems to be enough to warrant it's outright rejection by many here, which leads me to think that atheism has just a strong of a hold on some that religion does. It is ironic because atheism claims to be based in reason and logic and science yet I haven't seen many reasonable posters in this instance.

I fear that atheism is not so much as a non-belief in God based on reason or truth as a reaction by those opposed to religion. It just doesn't seem like logic or reason matters at all to some here.
Oh, I'll never argue who is the bigger asshole or idiot except on an individual basis. Godbelief is no indicator of intelligence or graciousness.

And that response is why I never complain about being a woman. We can argue the logistics of feminist feeling towards that in another thread.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(December 18, 2011 at 9:13 pm)amkerman Wrote: If that is the case, however, then things are not inherently good or bad, nothing has any "real" value besides the subjective value that humanity ascribes them. It may be that feelings and morality are purely human constructs and that nothing has any value at all.

Correct. No one seems to be arguing otherwise.

Quote:I don't really care what anyone believes. All I am doing is making an observation. Many of you are wrongly perceiving that I am somehow attacking atheism.

But you haven't simply made 'observations,' you have repeatedly called the atheist position illogical. Do you really not see how that is attacking atheism? If you do simply want to make observations, please qualify your statements with, 'I believe the atheist position to be illogical' or 'from my point of view it is illogical.'
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Erm - people have refuted your points. I'm not going to rehash them if you're not going to recognize them. I actually started selecting everyone's posts to quote, but it was an act of futility - I'm a mod and *I* don't have that kind of patience for quote tags.
No one is attacking you, just challenging you and disagreeing with you. If you feel like you're being attacked, that's a personal problem. Maybe you should look within yourself and wonder why our responses to your words make you feel that way. Your problems with us aren't necessarily about us.

Sounds like you wanted to come here, announce your poorly thought out philosophy, and wait while we all realized how right you are, and that we're illogical for not believing in god. Unfortunately for you, it doesn't work that way.

(December 18, 2011 at 11:05 pm)amkerman Wrote: there is nothing arrogant about my argument. I never claimed it was correct. I actually wanted to discuss it and thought this would be an appropriate forum since I assumed most atheists would disagree.

What do you call someone who argues a point he does not actually hold, in a forum specifically chosen to generate maximum disagreement?

Troll.

PS - I waited until what, page 9? It would have been nice on page 3 for you to show you were looking for a coherent discussion.
The God you choose to invent and then reject may have a problem with homosexuality, but God does not necessarily have a problem with homosexuality should God exist. It doesn't matter what people believe about God, what people believe has absolutely no relevance to whether or not God exists.

I didn't watch the clip but that looks like Sam Harris, author of the Moral Landscape. His argument for how objective reality could exist absent something correctly called "god" is completely circular. It ultimately boils down to "things are good or bad because they are".

Consciousness as a primary function of the universe would not necessarily mean anything beyond a fact that something correctly call "God" exists. I have never stated that this "God" would necessarily be good or that it would care at all about humanity. I did not say that it would mean that "everything is here just for us to experience it" You are just making things up in your mind.

All I did was offer an argument. I never said my argument was necessarily right. Not that hard to get.

I never claimed atheists don't have morals, I don't know where you are making all these leaps. If morality is purely subjective that is what it is, each person forms or accepts their own personal moral code and lives by it, but morality would not be a real thing. Most of my friends are atheists; they are all good people. All I claimed was that it was illogical for atheists to believe in objective morality but not believe in something that would be called God. If anything I claimed that atheists are illogical, not immoral.

Ugh.
Quote:Most people I know believe some things are true and other things are false.

I would fully expect "most people" you know to be idiots also. Your kind of nut seems to flock together.

Go blow your fucking god out your ass.
ROFLOL

Oh, Min! You never fail me!!