Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 4, 2024, 7:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Why are you (still) a Christian?
RE: Why are you (still) a Christian?
(September 16, 2023 at 4:13 pm)Data Wrote:
(September 16, 2023 at 4:06 pm)LinuxGal Wrote: Gosh, I wonder why Adam and Eve are in the grave while Abraham gets to be in heaven.

Luke 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

Oh, yeah - what I told Bucky goes for you too, missy. Of course it goes for all Bucky clones. 

Now, the point you made was a good one, but, was Abraham really in heaven? Jesus said no one but the one who descended from heaven has ascended to heaven, didn't he? 

Where was David? Heaven? Nope. David was in hell. Jesus? Jesus was in hell. Jonah? He thought he was in hell in the belly of the fish, but that, as it turned out, wasn't his grave. He's in hell now. You see? Just common sense. You don't need a scholar. No concordance. No interlinear. No class. I don't have any class and look at me? Huh? 

Don't change the subject. Respond to this. Agree or not. And why to either.

The Jews did not believe in immortality. "For dust thou art and unto DUST thou shalt return". 
Even Paul did not buy into immortalitryt for all. "PUT ON Immortality ... ".
Someday soon, you ought to take "Beligions for Beginners". What an ignoramus.
The Jews did NOT believe in hell.
They believed in Sheol, and as was shown to you, it was NOT what you said. After it was shown to you to NOT be what you said, you as the coward you are
ignored the proof you were wrong. https://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/13563-sheol
Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble. - Joseph Campbell  Popcorn

Militant Atheist Commie Evolutionist 
Hilarious

Popcorn
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I find that I learn best when I get my tutelage from some internet rando.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 14, 2023 at 3:32 pm)FrustratedFool Wrote: So, you are theist who believes that Jehovah exists.

But you haven't really said what your reasons for that belief are except that you found that the fallible bible made more sense than other stuff.

Can you be more specific as to what your warrant for faith in Jehovah is?
Sorry I didn't see this right away. No notification. I saved it as a draft but I'm up to my ears in alligators. I have to hurry before I get tossed. 

Unbelievers have asked me this question from time to time and they expect some specific answer, I don't know, of a metaphysical or tragic experience I may have had? There was none. I was simply an unbeliever. By dad from a long line, I assume, of non-church goers and my mom from a religious background where she saw nothing but hypocrisy. i had no idea except for that the religious nuts I know had no answers so I went to the source. 

It's as simple as God, through the imperfect translators, made sense to me. Since then I have made it a hobby to talk with unbelievers and they are no different to me from a knowledge point of view. Knowledgeable. They are in the difficult position of having to base their knowledge on the believers who haven't any. They can rise above that but that would destroy their sociopolitical world view which has become an emotional part of them. 

So, the reason I gave is simply it. If God had ever given me reason to doubt I would. The believers don't have the reason. The unbelievers don't have it. I don't have it. 

So, if someone wants to believe in God, I recommend they do what I did. If they come to another conclusion then that's fine.
(September 16, 2023 at 3:18 pm)h4ym4n Wrote:
(September 16, 2023 at 1:13 pm)Data Wrote: Oh, [laughs] this is rich! How you do take creative liberties with your ideological fixations! Let me fix it. 

God: If you touch or eat the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of what is good and what is bad you will immediately begin to die.  

begin to die.

What bible has those two words “begin to” Data?
The New Defender Study Bible from our buddy-pals in Seattle.
[Image: screenshot-from-2023-09-16-13-45-26.png]
(September 16, 2023 at 4:40 pm)brewer Wrote: Hilarious

Popcorn

Dead Horse

How 'ya doin? Enjoying the show? Nice. Just a rerun though, huh? 

Yet the point ... he cannot answer.

There is NOONE that affirms the views of Data.
NO ONE.
He can cite NOT ONE scholar or rabbi that agrees with his crap bullshit exegesis.
Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble. - Joseph Campbell  Popcorn

(September 16, 2023 at 4:39 pm)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(September 16, 2023 at 4:13 pm)Data Wrote: Oh, yeah - what I told Bucky goes for you too, missy. Of course it goes for all Bucky clones. 

Now, the point you made was a good one, but, was Abraham really in heaven? Jesus said no one but the one who descended from heaven has ascended to heaven, didn't he? 

Where was David? Heaven? Nope. David was in hell. Jesus? Jesus was in hell. Jonah? He thought he was in hell in the belly of the fish, but that, as it turned out, wasn't his grave. He's in hell now. You see? Just common sense. You don't need a scholar. No concordance. No interlinear. No class. I don't have any class and look at me? Huh? 

Don't change the subject. Respond to this. Agree or not. And why to either.

The Jews did not believe in immortality. "For dust thou art and unto DUST thou shalt return". 
Even Paul did not buy into immortalitryt for all. "PUT ON Immortality ... ".
Someday soon, you ought to take "Beligions for Beginners". What an ignoramus.
The Jews did NOT believe in hell.
They believed in Sheol, and as was shown to you, it was NOT what you said. After it was shown to you to NOT be what you said, you as the coward you are
ignored the proof you were wrong. https://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/13563-sheol

Since you can't think or apparently comprehend for yourself I will point it out for you. If you would actually listen you would see that for the most part we agree. Idiot.

1. Jews didn't believe in immortality, they did believe in resurrection. Job 14:13-15
2. Paul didn't believe immortality for all.
3 The Jews (who wrote the Bible) didn't believe in hell as we know it. They believed sheol was the pit, common grave no matter what form of burial.
4. What I said about sheol (English transliteration) was, according to your link, the Jewish Encyclopedia, exactly the same excpet for some possible traditional religious nonsense. Shades! Are they immortal, dumbass?
(September 16, 2023 at 5:05 pm)Bucky Ball Wrote: Yet the point ... he cannot answer.

NO ONE.
He can cite NOY ONE scholar or rabbi that agrees with his crap bullshit exegesis.

Rabbi! What bullshit. Where do you get your nonsense. You're worse than a Christian. Show me in the Hebrew scriptures where it says rabbi anywhere.
(September 16, 2023 at 5:26 pm)Data Wrote:
(September 16, 2023 at 5:05 pm)Bucky Ball Wrote: Yet the point ... he cannot answer.

NO ONE.
He can cite NOT ONE scholar or rabbi that agrees with his crap bullshit exegesis.

Rabbi! What bullshit. Where do you get your nonsense. You're worse than a Christian. Show me in the Hebrew scriptures where it says rabbi anywhere.

Yes dear. Whatever you say dear. 
I know sweetie. It's hard to be proven wrong all day long. 
Take your pills and get to bed. 
Maybe you'll have a better day tomorrow.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still Angry about Abraham and Isaac zwanzig 29 2256 October 1, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 9430 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 1751 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 91858 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  So, are the Boils of Egypt still a 'thing' ?? vorlon13 26 5912 May 8, 2018 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 3001 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Irational fear of hell still naggs me from time to time Arsoo 103 28456 November 9, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Why i became a protestant Christian Rispri 34 7024 February 16, 2017 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Lek
  There is still time to covert to Christianity before Christmas! Loading Please Wait 12 3346 January 29, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: The Wise Joker
  Still room on the org chart for this creep vorlon13 12 2949 January 29, 2016 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: vorlon13