Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 8:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Divergent sexualities
RE: Divergent sexualities
(November 2, 2023 at 4:58 pm)FrustratedFool Wrote: So your case seems to be built on three arguable premises:

A) Love is an idea.
B) Sexuality is always in relation to conscious entities
C) All false ideas, like belief in God, require therapy

Can you expand on these please, because I don't find any of them self-evident.

Well I never received therapy for my belief in God and I'm doing GREAT.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
Quote:So your case seems to be built on three arguable premises:
The idea they are arguable is arguable

Quote:A) Love is an idea.
Love is an interaction in the case of romantic love it is between entities 

Quote:B) Sexuality is always in relation to conscious entities
Not sure what more needs to be explained?

Quote:C) All false ideas, like belief in God, require therapy
Some false ideas need therapy some false ideas are immune to external aid 

Quote:Can you expand on these please, because I don't find any of them self-evident.
I think i have been pretty straightforward thus far.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

A) So you don't think love is a feeling, or even an idea now, but an interaction. If so we are just using words differently. I've been talking of love here as an emotion/feeling.

B) Why do you define sexuality that way? It seems arbitrary.

C) OK, so all false ideas need therapy if possible. That's a really weird thing for a mental health professional to say, I think. But OK. That's your opinion. Do you need therapy, or are all your ideas true?
Quote:A) So you don't think love is a feeling, or even an idea now, but an interaction. If so we are just using words differently. I've been talking of love here as an emotion/feeling.
Romantic love is an emotional interaction between two (at least ) entities 

Quote:B) Why do you define sexuality that way? It seems arbitrary.
Because all sexualities are predicated on interactions between entities OS is the only one that doesn't comport to this thus I simply can't regard it in the same light. 

Quote:C) OK, so all false ideas need therapy if possible. That's really weird thing for a mental health professionals to say, I think. But OK. That's your opinion. Do you need therapy, or are all your ideas true?
Therapy is ideal for dealing with falsehoods but other falsehoods are frankly beyond mere therapy. At the moment I'm pretty confident my ideas are true though I could be wrong and I have been wrong before though I tend to toss false idea's aside after all why would I want false beliefs?
"Change was inevitable"

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(November 2, 2023 at 5:04 pm)Ahriman Wrote:
(November 2, 2023 at 4:58 pm)FrustratedFool Wrote: So your case seems to be built on three arguable premises:

A) Love is an idea.
B) Sexuality is always in relation to conscious entities
C) All false ideas, like belief in God, require therapy

Can you expand on these please, because I don't find any of them self-evident.

Well I never received therapy for my belief in God and I'm doing GREAT.

Opinions differ.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 2, 2023 at 5:54 pm)The Architect Of Fate Wrote:
Quote:A) So you don't think love is a feeling, or even an idea now, but an interaction. If so we are just using words differently. I've been talking of love here as an emotion/feeling.
Romantic love is an emotional interaction between two (at least ) entities 

Quote:B) Why do you define sexuality that way? It seems arbitrary.
Because all sexualities are predicated on interactions between entities OS is the only one that doesn't comport to this thus I simply can't regard it in the same light. 

Quote:C) OK, so all false ideas need therapy if possible. That's really weird thing for a mental health professionals to say, I think. But OK. That's your opinion. Do you need therapy, or are all your ideas true?
Therapy is ideal for dealing with falsehoods but other falsehoods are frankly beyond mere therapy. At the moment I'm pretty confident my ideas are true though I could be wrong and I have been wrong before though I tend to toss false idea's aside after all why would I want false beliefs?

A) That's a semantic debate then. I'm talking about love as an emotion.

B) Sexuality seems to me to just state who/what someone finds sexually attractive. A gay guy is still gay if they never have any interaction with anyone whatsoever based purely on what they find attractive. Again, this is a semantic difference.

C) I find the idea that every false belief requires therapy to be weird. But that's just an opinion you have. I don't share it.
‘Love is a lie that cuts like a knife,
With its sorrows and faded blisses.
I’ll go to a girl who asks naught of life,
Save wine and a drunkard’s kisses.’ - Robert E. Howard

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_sexuality
Quote:A) That's a semantic debate then. I'm talking about love as an emotion.
So am I but in the context of an interaction between entities. Not sure what's semantic about that 

Quote:B) Sexuality seems to me to just state who/what someone finds sexually attractive. A gay guy is still gay if they never have any interaction with anyone whatsoever based purely on what they find attractive. Again, this is a semantic difference.
Nope, Sexuality even in your example is based on an attraction to entities and an interaction between entities. The gay's gayness is still an attraction to entities and is based on an interaction between entities. Not sure what's semantic about that 

Quote:C) I find the idea that every false belief requires therapy to be weird. But that's just an opinion you have. I don't share it.
I already made it clear not every false belief can be solved by therapy.
"Change was inevitable"

–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM