Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 27, 2024, 10:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Stupid things religious people say
RE: Stupid things religious people say
(November 4, 2023 at 12:22 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Don't you just love it when Christians can't keep their religion to themselves 33k feet above the ground?

Some years ago I was on a flight from SC to CA for a work conference.  I found myself in the middle seat between two women who started discussing the "Left Behind" books.  Both were leaning forward and talking past me.  Finally, I nicely offered to trade seats with one of them so they could sit back and continue their discussion.  Thankfully, they accepted the offer and they talked about the books and their beliefs for the whole flight.  Thankfully I had headphones and a CD player with me (yeah, it was that long ago).

It was preferable to sitting by a screaming baby...though not by much.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Catholics are still making apologetics for the Crusades and the Inquisition, and they are also obsessed with the so-called "sexual revolution". To them, civilization has started to collapse since the 1960s with the sexual revolution which they blame for everything - like people started seeing the Inquisition and Crusades as a bad thing after they started having sex that was not by the Church's rules.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
I was dead for six days a few years ago, when I had #5 heart surgery. Didn't notice.
History lesson for atheists: this totally happened.

Quote:St. Winefride
Born at Holywell, Wales, about 600; died at Gwytherin, Wales, 3 Nov., 660. Her father was Thevit, a Cambrian magnate, the possessor of three manors in what is now Flintshire; her mother Wenlo, a sister of St. Beuno and a member of a family closely connected with the kings of South Wales. St. Beuno had led at first a solitary life, but afterwards established a community of cenobites at Clynog-vawr.

The fame of her beauty and accomplishments had reached the ears of Caradoc, son of the neighbouring Prince Alen, who resolved to seek her hand in marriage. The knowledge that Winefride had resolved to quit the world and consecrate herself to God seemed only to add fuel to his passion.

Caradoc pursued her and, overtaking her on the slope above the site of the present well, he drew his sword and at one blow severed her head from the body. The head rolled down the incline and, where it rested, there gushed forth a spring. St. Beuno, hearing of the tragedy, left the altar, and accompanied by the parents came to the spot where the head lay beside the spring. Taking up the maiden's head he carried it to where the body lay, covered both with his cloak, and then re-entered the church to finish the Holy Sacrifice. When Mass was ended he knelt beside the saint's body, offered up a fervent prayer to God, and ordered the cloak which covered it to be removed. Thereupon Winefride, as if awakening from a deep slumber, rose up with no sign of the severance of the head except a thin white circle round her neck. Seeing the murderer leaning on his sword with an insolent and defiant air, St. Beuno invoked the chastisement of heaven, and Caradoc fell dead on the spot, the popular belief being that the ground opened and swallowed him.

Miraculously restored to life, Winefride seems to have lived in almost perpetual ecstasy and to have had familiar converse with God. In fulfillment of her promise, she solemnly vowed virginity and poverty as a recluse.

https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15656a.htm
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(November 7, 2023 at 5:09 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: History lesson for atheists: this totally happened.

Quote:St. Winefride
Born at Holywell, Wales, about 600; died at Gwytherin, Wales, 3 Nov., 660. Her father was Thevit, a Cambrian magnate, the possessor of three manors in what is now Flintshire; her mother Wenlo, a sister of St. Beuno and a member of a family closely connected with the kings of South Wales. St. Beuno had led at first a solitary life, but afterwards established a community of cenobites at Clynog-vawr.

The fame of her beauty and accomplishments had reached the ears of Caradoc, son of the neighbouring Prince Alen, who resolved to seek her hand in marriage. The knowledge that Winefride had resolved to quit the world and consecrate herself to God seemed only to add fuel to his passion.

Caradoc pursued her and, overtaking her on the slope above the site of the present well, he drew his sword and at one blow severed her head from the body. The head rolled down the incline and, where it rested, there gushed forth a spring. St. Beuno, hearing of the tragedy, left the altar, and accompanied by the parents came to the spot where the head lay beside the spring. Taking up the maiden's head he carried it to where the body lay, covered both with his cloak, and then re-entered the church to finish the Holy Sacrifice. When Mass was ended he knelt beside the saint's body, offered up a fervent prayer to God, and ordered the cloak which covered it to be removed. Thereupon Winefride, as if awakening from a deep slumber, rose up with no sign of the severance of the head except a thin white circle round her neck. Seeing the murderer leaning on his sword with an insolent and defiant air, St. Beuno invoked the chastisement of heaven, and Caradoc fell dead on the spot, the popular belief being that the ground opened and swallowed him.

Miraculously restored to life, Winefride seems to have lived in almost perpetual ecstasy and to have had familiar converse with God. In fulfillment of her promise, she solemnly vowed virginity and poverty as a recluse.

https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15656a.htm

Was 'sword' a euphemism? That would explain a few things, except for leaning on it.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 6, 2023 at 7:37 am)arewethereyet Wrote:
(November 4, 2023 at 12:22 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Don't you just love it when Christians can't keep their religion to themselves 33k feet above the ground?

Some years ago I was on a flight from SC to CA for a work conference.  I found myself in the middle seat between two women who started discussing the "Left Behind" books.  Both were leaning forward and talking past me.  Finally, I nicely offered to trade seats with one of them so they could sit back and continue their discussion.  Thankfully, they accepted the offer and they talked about the books and their beliefs for the whole flight.  Thankfully I had headphones and a CD player with me (yeah, it was that long ago).

Screaming babies make more sense!
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(November 6, 2023 at 7:37 am)arewethereyet Wrote:

I can picture TSA trying to figure out what a CD player does and is it a threat?

"Them round things are ammo, bet ya!"
(November 9, 2023 at 5:23 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(November 6, 2023 at 7:37 am)arewethereyet Wrote: Some years ago I was on a flight from SC to CA for a work conference.  I found myself in the middle seat between two women who started discussing the "Left Behind" books.  Both were leaning forward and talking past me.  Finally, I nicely offered to trade seats with one of them so they could sit back and continue their discussion.  Thankfully, they accepted the offer and they talked about the books and their beliefs for the whole flight.  Thankfully I had headphones and a CD player with me (yeah, it was that long ago).

I can picture TSA trying to figure out what a CD player does and is it a threat?

It was well before 9/11 and you could pretty much carry anything on a plane with you.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(November 9, 2023 at 6:52 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(November 9, 2023 at 5:23 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I can picture TSA trying to figure out what a CD player does and is it a threat?

It was well before 9/11 and you could pretty much carry anything on a plane with you.

I changed airlines once, to the USA in TWA, return ticket moved to Pan-Am. (1973 for reference.) The 'rents took me to the airport in Indianapolis and they got in line with me to check in. Two suits appeared out of nowhere and asked me to step into the stair well. (Young man, traveling alone, sudden ticket booking. Hello Havana?) As we're walking the few yards to the stairwell I turned and said, "Hey, Mom, I'm a terrorist." The suits looked a little deflated. I showed them my USN ID card and they returned me to parents. I've laughed about that for decades.
Christians still haven't settled this question.

[Image: Debaye.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 15097 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 698 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 18180 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What will you say to God when you stand before him? The Valkyrie 78 9403 March 5, 2021 at 12:57 am
Last Post: Lightbearer
  Stupid christans look to ban Good Omens Pat Mustard 64 6887 July 11, 2019 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Religious people in the medical field Foxaèr 35 7363 November 11, 2018 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Are religious people really afraid of death? Alexmahone 36 5247 July 3, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Religious texts used to manipulate people Foxaèr 13 3953 June 10, 2018 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What would you say to a god if you met one? The Valkyrie 37 4400 June 1, 2018 at 7:05 am
Last Post: brewer
  Just how stupid were the ancient Israelites? The Valkyrie 115 15778 June 1, 2018 at 5:39 am
Last Post: Joods