Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why people remain in cultlike religious communities
Why people remain in cultlike religious communities
I am a disfellowshipped Jehovah's Witness. JW's are really strict to sticking to the shunning of a member. But I have one friend who always takes my calls and never makes me feel like I'm a bother for reaching out. He is an emotionally intelligent person, but he is book stupid. He asked me, "Does it matter what we believe" and I said yes. He was like, "Does it really matter?" And then it dawned on me, there has always been this debate between humans concerning what was more important, what you say or what you do. Naturally, most of us agree that what you do is overall more powerful of a testimony as to what kind of human you are, compared to the shit we all talk. But what you say doesn't always need to be backed up by doing anything. Take for instance a theist saying you needed to prove why God doesn't exist. An atheist makes no claim to an existing God, therefore they do not need to provide any proof. And then you have the situation where there are creationist sitting on the Texas board of education and they are demanding creationism be taught and evolution to be banned. And this matters because states outsources school books to Texas and the textbooks must pass the School Boards standards.

My friend knows that if there is a loving God, he wouldn't kill him for talking to an old friend over the phone instead of letting the paranoia that Jehovah is displeased get in his head, but he doesn't understand how people's delusional beliefs affect real world policies. He has a huge friend circle, a beautiful family, and a successful business. Add to that how he was born and raised to believe there was nothing you could do to change the world around you so he has no reason to educate himself on worldly matters. He loves his kids, but does he ever worry about what his inaction to help prevent climate change from becoming a catastrophic nightmare for our kids?

Let me give you one other example. I go to the LDS Church on sundays. There is an elderly missionary couple stationed there. The brother is a retired podiatrist, with all the accolades, and a well accomplished and well traveled wise man overall. I learn something new from him every time I see him. But the other day before the services began, he says that president biden is the most corrupt president ever. I try to stay from partisan politics because I believe they're both corrupted by big money, but come on! Trump was way more flippant with ethics than any modern day president. But this guy is with the high up social circle and they're practically fucking drones!
RE: Why people remain in cultlike religious communities
We're all apes with egos. If nothing else has come of religion it is to remind us to be humble and that everybody has a place.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Apparently, what we believe matters at least enough to shun you. Your friend isn't book dumb, and he doesn't strike me as emotionally intelligent (at least in this telling). He's not suffering from any grand or complicated malaise about his inability to change the world. He just doesn't see you right in front of him. Do you matter? But...do you really matter?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Cults are an addiction, a mental and emotional one, as opposed to a chemical one; that's why people fall into and remain in cults.
For a person not born onto a cult, and therefore not knowing anything else, one of the things about cults grabbing onto people is that they tend to be masters at figuring out what a person is looking for/missing in their life. That's what draws them in. That void is filled until and going back to the 'without' is enough to keep some people in a cult even when the need is no longer met and the cult's need is what becomes of utmost importance.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Why do people remain in cultlike religious communities? Maybe you could ask yourself that considering that you go to LDS Church every Sunday.

What puzzles me is why do religious people get offended when you tell them that they are in a cult? Like even JWs find it to be an offensive term.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
And, also, especially after becoming a Last Podcast on the Left fan, another huge factor is the sunk cost fallacy. Because, sometimes, when the cults start getting weird, and cult members start developing doubts, people still end up staying in the cult because they've already sunk too much into the cult (case in point: if you're in Scientology, by the time you learn about Xenu, you've spent over a quarter million dollars into the cult.) Or, if the cults emphasise separation from the rest of the world, odds are, the cult has, at the very minimum, retained your entire social circle, so say goodbye to everyone you know. If they're more extreme, they probably own literally all your worldly possessions.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1072 74645 April 17, 2024 at 1:13 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 11424 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  Why do some people condone hell? SuicideCommando01 45 5391 May 22, 2020 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Prayers don't work so why do religious keep jabbing at it? Fake Messiah 65 9661 August 26, 2019 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Religious people in the medical field Foxaèr 35 7017 November 11, 2018 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why religious cannot agree. Mystic 46 7843 July 6, 2018 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: warmdecember
  Are religious people really afraid of death? Alexmahone 36 4943 July 3, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Religious texts used to manipulate people Foxaèr 13 3754 June 10, 2018 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why are some moderate religious afraid of atheism? Der/die AtheistIn 38 5228 February 26, 2018 at 8:45 am
Last Post: Cod
  How do religious people justify raising and slaughtering animals for food? Alexmahone 113 12866 December 6, 2017 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: Little Rik