Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious people in the medical field
Religious people in the medical field
There are more than one would realize, and it is sickening.

The number of nurses, especially.  (I work with them)  

And doctors are not exempt either.  I accompanied one patient to a veteran's appointment.  The Asian doctor had biblical scripture on her wall.

SMDH.
RE: Religious people in the medical field
Beware the one's that ask you to pray with them before the procedure. They are the incompetents.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Since you work in the industry Kit, I'm sure you're aware there is a chronic shortage of physicians in the US. Some states are allowing nurse-practitioners to perform some of the functions normally done by a physician to free some of their time. We can't afford to be too picky.

It really is scary though when a physician doesn't believe in evolution. I wouldn't take my car to a mechanic who didn't believe in spark plugs. This is in the same league and he/she is responsible for fixing ME rather than my car.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
They can believe whatever the fuck they want as long as they do their jobs.  When they start saying "I'd give you an antibiotic but it is god's will if you live or die" that's when it is time to call the Medical Ethics board and the press!
Anyone who thinks a religious person can't be a good doctor or nurse is ignorant of history, and probably a bigot.
(November 10, 2018 at 8:36 am)Kit Wrote: There are more than one would realize, and it is sickening.

The number of nurses, especially.  (I work with them)  

And doctors are not exempt either.  I accompanied one patient to a veteran's appointment.  The Asian doctor had biblical scripture on her wall.

SMDH.

I have a doctor who had an overwhelming amount of biblical crap in his office. Some of it was displayed alongside his credentials from MIT in mathematics and Harvard medical school and a third degree that I can't recall.

When he demonstrated that he possessed the skill to cure my ailment, I readily forgave the religious shit.
[Image: CpcAdtpWAAIfFvf.jpg]
I've known two Christian doctors and one nurse here in Japan.

The first religious doctor I met converted to Christianity after his city got nuked. He was young and his family had been burned up, and he wanted the spiritual support that the church gave him. He founded a hospital, took a tiny salary, and lived in a 4-mat room on the top floor. He developed some of the first techniques for doing endoscopic examinations of the stomach.

The second doctor came from a Christian family in Nagasaki, which has a minority Christian neighborhood (it was basically ground zero for the bomb there). After the war he founded a group called Physicians against Nuclear Weapons and was active in peace movements around the world.

The nurse volunteered in a poor part of Brazil after she graduated from school. She was so impressed by the dedication of the Christian volunteers she met that she converted while she was there. After coming back to Japan she continues to work with the most difficult and unrewarding patients.
(November 10, 2018 at 5:37 pm)Belaqua Wrote: Anyone who thinks a religious person can't be a good doctor or nurse is ignorant of history, and probably a bigot.

We're not talking about history, we're talking about current healthcare. Religions objections allow for refusal of treatment. A medical professionals ability to refuse treatment for any condition that causes a risk/harm to the patient should not be allowed in medicine.

Should we talk about LGBT treatment refusals, maybe refusals in reproductive emergency medicine? 

Exactly who are the bigots?

(November 10, 2018 at 6:32 pm)Belaqua Wrote: I've known two Christian doctors and one nurse here in Japan.

The first religious doctor I met converted to Christianity after his city got nuked. He was young and his family had been burned up, and he wanted the spiritual support that the church gave him. He founded a hospital, took a tiny salary, and lived in a 4-mat room on the top floor. He developed some of the first techniques for doing endoscopic examinations of the stomach.

The second doctor came from a Christian family in Nagasaki, which has a minority Christian neighborhood (it was basically ground zero for the bomb there). After the war he founded a group called Physicians against Nuclear Weapons and was active in peace movements around the world.

The nurse volunteered in a poor part of Brazil after she graduated from school. She was so impressed by the dedication of the Christian volunteers she met that she converted while she was there. After coming back to Japan she continues to work with the most difficult and unrewarding patients.

Let me tell you about this one christian, in band camp, ...............blah, blah, blah. I can give you stories of practitioners that place medicine first, religion something less than first. That is what medicine should be. Caring for the patient no matter the religious belief(s), practitioner or patient.
(November 10, 2018 at 6:34 pm)wyzas Wrote:
(November 10, 2018 at 5:37 pm)Belaqua Wrote: Anyone who thinks a religious person can't be a good doctor or nurse is ignorant of history, and probably a bigot.

We're not talking about history, we're talking about current healthcare. Religions objections allow for refusal of treatment. A medical professionals ability to refuse treatment for any condition that causes a risk/harm to the patient should not be allowed in medicine.

Should we talk about LGBT treatment refusals, maybe refusals in reproductive emergency medicine? 

Exactly who are the bigots?

(November 10, 2018 at 6:32 pm)Belaqua Wrote: I've known two Christian doctors and one nurse here in Japan.

Let me tell you about this one christian, in band camp, ...............blah, blah, blah. I can give you stories of practitioners that place medicine first, religion something less than first. That is what medicine should be. Caring for the patient no matter the religious belief(s), practitioner or patient.

If a religious doctor refuses to provide treatment on the grounds of religious convictions, then that doctor should in no short order become your former doctor. If a doctor simply believes Jesus died on the cross to save you from your sins (or whatever it is Christians believe) and they want to deck their office out with things that make them feel comfortable, and this doctor can also cure cancer or remove a brain tumor, then I say pick and choose your battles.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1081 75603 9 hours ago
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 11794 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 651 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Are religious people really afraid of death? Alexmahone 36 4960 July 3, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Religious texts used to manipulate people Foxaèr 13 3765 June 10, 2018 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How do religious people justify raising and slaughtering animals for food? Alexmahone 113 13014 December 6, 2017 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: Little Rik
  How do religious people react to their own arguments? Vast Vision 60 16404 July 9, 2017 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Why do some religious people think the world revolves around them? Cecelia 28 9495 June 3, 2017 at 11:57 am
Last Post: J a c k
  Are religious people selfish? ThortheMighty 40 4550 February 1, 2017 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Religious people find it harder to understand the world – study Fake Messiah 28 4503 November 30, 2016 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah