Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 11:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Noahide Flood
RE: The Noahide Flood
Spherical geometry comes into play. Naval navigation runs on that shit.
(December 7, 2023 at 3:13 am)Huolpoch Wrote:
(December 6, 2023 at 9:16 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: radius of the earth is around 700 times greater than the depth of even a Noachian flood that drowns the tallest mountain,     so the thin shell approximation of of the volume of water that doesn’t account for what you describe  would be very close to the true volume.

The radius of the Earth doesn't really factor in.  If you have rectangular pool that requires 100 gallons of water for fill up to 1 foot in depth, it'd require  an additional 100 gallons of water to make it 2 feet in depth, another 100 gallons to make it 3 feet in dept, and so forth.  However, if the pool is in the shape of an inverted trapezoid, with a bottom narrower than the top, each subsequent foot of water depth will require more water to fill.

really?  radius of earth doesn’t come into play in calculating the volume of a spherical shell sitting on its surface?   have you thought this through at all?
A sphere with radius r will not have have as much volume as a sphere with radius r+1-

This is simple HS gepometry

Okay, I flunked high school math.* But wouldn't the volume of water be the volume of a sphere say 2 inches higher than Everest minus a sphere the volume of the Earth at sea level, close enough for government work?

*Hospitalized and never caught up.
(December 7, 2023 at 9:26 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Okay, I flunked high school math.* But wouldn't the volume of water be the volume of a sphere say 2 inches higher than Everest minus a sphere  the volume of the Earth at sea level, close enough for government work?

That's the basic idea, yep.

I'd think alot smaller than everest. Enough to convince an observer that a localized or regional flood was global. Nepalese comparables are about a lake draining, not filling up - just as a bit of trivia.

Any flood proposal is some elevation boundary defined portion of the volume of the surface of a sphere which is, for the most part, smoother than a cue ball, plus the water holding capacity of it's soils and subsurface features, plus the rate of drain through irregular or open elevation boundaries.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 7, 2023 at 12:27 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: I'd think alot smaller than everest.  Enough to convince an observer that a localized or regional flood was global.  Nepalese comparables are about a lake draining, not filling up - just as a bit of trivia.  

Any flood proposal is some elevation boundary defined portion of the volume of the surface of a sphere which is, for the most part, smoother than a cue ball, plus the water holding capacity of it's soils and subsurface features, plus the rate of drain through irregular or open elevation boundaries.

I wasn't talking about an actual flood, just the requirements to produce the Noachian flood.
(December 7, 2023 at 12:15 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(December 7, 2023 at 9:26 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Okay, I flunked high school math.* But wouldn't the volume of water be the volume of a sphere say 2 inches higher than Everest minus a sphere  the volume of the Earth at sea level, close enough for government work?

That's the basic idea, yep.

Visualization help: Suppose the outside of this globe of water covering rock is metaphorically represented by the outside of a basketball. Would the thickness of the shell of the ball equate to the theoretical depth of water? (The inside of the ball is compared to a theoretically billiard ball smooth planet.)

If that isn't confusing enough I'll keep going.
Yeah. Land features are basically a rounding error to that volume of water. Good enough for government work, like you said. It'd be slightly bulgey, too.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 7, 2023 at 12:27 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: I'd think alot smaller than everest.  Enough to convince an observer that a localized or regional flood was global.  Nepalese comparables are about a lake draining, not filling up - just as a bit of trivia.  

The minimum depth of Noachian flood required to produce such effects as would be observable by Noah may be defined by the height of mt Ararat, which is 16,500 feet above MSL.

If the flood is any shallower Noah wouldn’t need to wait for the flood water to recede to ground the ark on the slopes of Ararat.

The mean height of all land on earth above MSL is not exactly negligible.   It’s actually about 1/10 height of mt Everest or just over 1/5 the height of Mt Ararat.   If the earth is flooded to the height of Mt Ararat then the lumpiness of land would account for about 6-7% of total volume of required flood water.    That’s a error 2 orders of magnitude bigger than the error introduced by treating the total volume of flood water as a thin shell that ignores the fact that each additional foot of depth accounts for a slightly larger incremental volume.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So, what would an actual 'biblical' flood look like ?? vorlon13 64 15123 August 30, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Flood destroys Tony Perkins' house drfuzzy 14 2154 August 18, 2016 at 10:03 am
Last Post: brewer
  Evisceration of the mythical Global flood goodwithoutgod 13 3328 October 17, 2015 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  I have a question about the Great Flood ApeNotKillApe 32 7313 September 28, 2015 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Noah's Flood vs Aquatic Fauna Duke Guilmon 15 5807 April 28, 2014 at 10:29 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Noah's Flood vs Population bottlenecks and the foundereffect Duke Guilmon 1 1414 April 27, 2014 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Did the flood really occur? salty 61 19120 October 25, 2011 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb