Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 19, 2024, 12:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello soulcalm17
RE: Hello soulcalm17
(July 13, 2024 at 12:55 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote:

Do you believe that your god is actually the god of your parents, or do you have your own opinions about it?

Nothing to add, excellent question and I get to show off proper large text quoting
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

One unlikely to be explored..because I know that the notion that monotheism was the original religion is actually a novel belief of muslims.... not based on archeological evidence...and certainly not to be found in the narrative contents of any of the abrahamic religions who were always and forever fighting the pagans that came before them - including each other.

We've had other muslim posters offer it before. The idea that a just god would give instruction. Rather than accept the evidence which would then suggest that allah is unjust - they assert a counterfactual and pretend it came from anywhere other than their normative beliefs about gods and what gods should do...itself a touchy subject in the context of islam.

Our new friend is his own person, and could have his own even more novel notions, ofc. Just playing the odds.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Thanks all for the details of what I informed. But let me complete what I knew of Hinduism.
That is correct that Upanishad and Bhagavad Gita came later than old Vedas. But if we read the detail of Vedas, it still point to the monotheism instead of pantheism.
Rigveda, is the oldest of all type of Vedas.
The Rigveda states in book I, hymn 164, verse 46:
Sages (learned Priest) call one God by many names.
(This is states that only one God, but have many names)
Brahma (means The Creator) as well as Visnu (means The Sustainer), indeed the name of God mentioned in Rigveda book II, hymn 1, verse 3
What support my statement that Hindu is actually monotheism by its scripture is mentioned in Rigveda book VIII, hymn 1, verse 1:
O, friends, do not worship anybody but Him, the Divine One. Praise Him alone

And in Yajurveda, there is the verse that's same with the content in Upanishad. Here it is:
1. There is no image of Him (Yajurveda 32:3)
2. They sink deeper in darkness, those who worship sambuthi (Yajurveda 40:9)
*Sambuthi means created things, like table, chair, idol, etc

So I still conclude that in Hindu, monotheism changed to the pantheism by it's followers.

The problem is, might be the researchers only observed on the practicing of the religion, not observing the scriptures itself.

It is actually the case of all religion I suppose. Later on insha Allah I will give evidence that many religions rooted in monotheism.
(July 14, 2024 at 12:00 am)soulcalm17 Wrote: So I still conclude that in Hindu, monotheism changed to the pantheism by it's followers.

It occurs to me that one of the problems English speakers have with the issue is simply the translation of the word "god." 

In India, as I understand it, Brahman is omnipotent, omniscient, eternal, impassible, without extension or location, etc. etc. That is, it has all the attributes of the Christian God. (With differences too, but if we were to speak of a Hindu God, it would be Brahman.) 

Then there are many other beings which are not human. These get translated into English as "gods," though of course in the original languages they are called by different names. Devas, asuras, rakshasas, pretas, pisachas, vitalas, nagas, yakshas, gandharvas, and others -- all of which my computer spell-check warns me about. Calling Brahman "God" and all of these other beings "gods" implies a similarity which isn't there in the original. 

I've often felt this about Japanese kami as well. These are usually translated as "gods," but are fundamentally different from the Christian God -- to the point where using the same word is misleading. For example, they have location but no extension, are not omniscient, and have only very limited influence over the world. They are certainly unrelated to anything like a Ground of Being. 

In Europe it was long believed that there is a great range of beings on the hierarchy between God and humans, with a variety of abilities and powers. Angels, obviously, who have location but not extension. But also all kinds of spirits and genius loci and others which may have been holdovers from pre-Christian times, but were nonetheless widely believed in. Fortunately these were called by different names, never called "gods," as the spirits in the Indian pantheon were.

As I said before, I don't know enough about the development of Indian thought to know whether belief in something like Brahman pre-dated belief in the various devas, etc. etc. So I don't know if your thesis here is correct or not. But I do think the language we use pushes us toward more of a polytheistic view than is perhaps warranted.

Also, there is the question of what we call it when a single god manifests itself in different figurations. One god (or God) can appear in different forms at different times. This is true in the more esoteric types of Buddhism, where we may speak of different apparitions, but the different characters are really different ways the one deity shows itself. That might appear to be polytheism, but if there is really only one deity behind all the characters, then it's mono.
I just trying to hide the text. Hope it can works

(July 14, 2024 at 5:19 am)soulcalm17 Wrote: I just trying to hide the text. Hope it can works

It worked!
(July 14, 2024 at 12:00 am)soulcalm17 Wrote: Thanks all for the details of what I informed. But let me complete what I knew of Hinduism.
That is correct that Upanishad and Bhagavad Gita came later than old Vedas. But if we read the detail of Vedas, it still point to the monotheism instead of pantheism.
Rigveda, is the oldest of all type of Vedas.
The Rigveda states in book I, hymn 164, verse 46:
Sages (learned Priest) call one God by many names.
(This is states that only one God, but have many names)
Brahma (means The Creator) as well as Visnu (means The Sustainer), indeed the name of God mentioned in Rigveda book II, hymn 1, verse 3
What support my statement that Hindu is actually monotheism by its scripture is mentioned in Rigveda book VIII, hymn 1, verse 1:
O, friends, do not worship anybody but Him, the Divine One. Praise Him alone

And in Yajurveda, there is the verse that's same with the content in Upanishad. Here it is:
1. There is no image of Him (Yajurveda 32:3)
2. They sink deeper in darkness, those who worship sambuthi (Yajurveda 40:9)
*Sambuthi means created things, like table, chair, idol, etc

So I still conclude that in Hindu, monotheism changed to the pantheism by it's followers.

The problem is, might be the researchers only observed on the practicing of the religion, not observing the scriptures itself.

It is actually the case of all religion I suppose. Later on insha Allah I will give evidence that many religions rooted in monotheism.

Using scripture as a guide to history is always perilous. It assumes that the original was accurate and that your translation isn't flawed. In this case I'd suggest that you're also doing a lot of cherry picking. You have a few select verses here that you've quoted without context, whereas the overwhelming bulk of Hindu scripture is clearly polytheistic. The archaeological record also shows that the Hindu cultures have always been polytheistic. In any culture as rich as the Hindu pantheon you're bound to get some henotheism arising locally, but I think that's about as far as you can take it. The overwhelming bulk of the evidence simply doesn't support your case.
You should use the HIDE tag to hide at least a portion of the text or your text, otherwise you will get Administrator Notice.

START OF BLOCK OF TEXT
Well, sounds like that problem is solved.
The argument was that if Mohammed made it up, why would he embarrass himself, therefore, the conclusion is that the text is of supernatural origin.

There isn’t any hint of embarrassment in the text, so case closed.

Your argument itself is faulty.
If there was some self embarrassment, this is insufficient to conclude that the jewish god exists, since I use Occam’s Razor.

I don’t know what was going through Mohammed’s head, I don’t know him personally, but I don’t see a problem with him saying those things.
To me, it just looks like good salesmen advice.

Even if there was a line in the Koran where it said
“The jewish god said that I am a fucking moron. I am Mohammed and he just told me that I am a fucking moron and also he pulled my pants down in front of everyone.”

that would not convince me that there is any magical beings, any gods, any aliens or alien gods.

My first thought would be, “Who writes books? Human’s write books.”
“Is an alien or god needed to write a story? Nope. Anyone can buy some ink and paper and write whatever they want.”
 “What is going on in the mind of this author? What is the author trying to communicate to the reader?”

END OF BLOCK OF TEXT

His quote wasn't that egregious.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

(July 14, 2024 at 2:30 pm)Ferrocyanide Wrote: My first thought would be, “Who writes books? Human’s write books.”
“Is an alien or god needed to write a story? Nope. Anyone can buy some ink and paper and write whatever they want.”
 “What is going on in the mind of this author? What is the author trying to communicate to the reader?”

So I think I would prefer to reply it separately as I think it's more comfort to me. Later topic I will quote again from your reply.
About Qur'an. 

It depends on you actually whether you trust or not. I just give you rational explanation that it's impossible if someone want to lie to his people but he disgraces himself with his "God's words" in front of his companions.