Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 19, 2024, 12:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Historical Jesus
RE: The Historical Jesus
Yeah, Christians get very hostile when you compare Jesus' myth with other religions, and yet you can see how wrong they are about denying it when they protested how the Olympics were mocking the Last Supper although it portrayed Feast Of The Gods which does have to do with the last supper because they stole those mythological elements.

So even the early Christians made ridiculous claims like that the classical world had stolen its ideas from them. They claimed that Pythagoras and Plato had stolen their ideas from Moses.

Or because pre-Christian poet Virgil in Eclogues wrote: "Now the Virgin returns . . . now a new generation descends from heaven", Christians (including Augustine) for centuries claimed that Virgil was a Christian prophet.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(August 28, 2024 at 7:44 pm)Angrboda Wrote: Can't say as I do.   Feel free to explain.

Okay so this is a fascinating (and extremely important to understand) concept in human Psychology.

Basically an avoidant attachment style means that you avoid feelings of warmth and closeness with people.

One way to describe it is as the Fear of Falling in Love
In order to Love someone you have to make yourself vulnerable.

Once you see it in yourself, you'll be able to see it in most people. The reason why a girl may simply excuse herself from a good conversation and walk away from a handsome man is because she is unfamiliar with the experience of healthy Love.

Same goes for people who always find themselves in abusive or toxic relationships, this is what they are familiar with. The idea of fighting for someone to act like they Love you. You would be surprised by how many people will avoid a healthy connection in favor of a connection of a more Lascivious nature.
(September 10, 2024 at 7:06 am)h311inac311 Wrote:
(August 28, 2024 at 7:44 pm)Angrboda Wrote: Can't say as I do.   Feel free to explain.

Okay so this is a fascinating (and extremely important to understand) concept in human Psychology.

Basically an avoidant attachment style means that you avoid feelings of warmth and closeness with people.

Once you see it in yourself, you'll be able to see it in most people. The reason why a girl may simply excuse herself from a good conversation and walk away from a handsome man is because she is unfamiliar with the experience of healthy Love.

Same goes for people who always find themselves in abusive or toxic relationships, this is what they are familiar with. The idea of fighting for someone to act like they Love you. You would be surprised by how many people will avoid a healthy connection in favor of a connection of a more Lascivious nature.

(Bold mine)

There may also be a much more prosaic (and less sexist) explanation for her walking away. The man’s conversation could be a deal breaker, for example, or he may smell like an unlimed outhouse.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(September 10, 2024 at 7:23 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(September 10, 2024 at 7:06 am)h311inac311 Wrote: Okay so this is a fascinating (and extremely important to understand) concept in human Psychology.

(Bold mine)

There may also be a much more prosaic (and less sexist) explanation for her walking away. The man’s conversation could be a deal breaker, for example, or he may smell like an unlimed outhouse.

Boru

Okay Boru, but why does your response reject the authority of the original author?

To address Sheldon specifically,

Okay Sheldon, I am doing my best to understand what your arguments are, however, we have at this point created such a large chain of broken communication that it is almost impossible to address all of the claims that you have made about my messaging.

I want to understand what your arguments are and I don't want you to feel as though I am straw manning you.

So here is my offer, instead of going backwards (and appealing to a long history of contentious quotes) I think instead we can just agree to go forward with a blank-slate.

Let's start this conversation anew, we will go one argument at a time and once we have said most of everything that we can about that one topic (or argument) we will move on to another.

Do these terms sound agreeable to you?
(September 10, 2024 at 7:47 am)h311inac311 Wrote:
(September 10, 2024 at 7:23 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: (Bold mine)

Boru

Okay Boru, but why does your response reject the authority of the original author?

I wasn’t aware that it does. Simply pointing out that people may reject a potential relationship for reasons that have nothing to do with a fear of falling in love.

Boru
(August 28, 2024 at 7:33 pm)h311inac311 Wrote:
(August 28, 2024 at 5:55 pm)Angrboda Wrote: You have an interesting imagination.   Does the term 'love bombing' mean anything to you?

Thank you Angrboda, its one of the few things that I won't let adult-hood take from me.

To answer your question, yes, I know what that means, it is a form of manipulation where in which someone will intentionally overwhelm someone with compliments and positive affirmations, as well as gifts or the like.

It is a deceptive tactic which is used by someone who wants to seduce someone for their own nefarious ends, likely into doing something that they wouldn't otherwise want to do.

I myself have been caught doing this from time to time, however, I wasn't aware that I was doing it. 

Do you know what an avoidant attachment style is?

You know where I get love-bombed? A Pentecostal church. They didn't htell me who I was supposed to hate until later.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(September 10, 2024 at 12:12 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(September 10, 2024 at 7:47 am)h311inac311 Wrote: Okay Boru, but why does your response reject the authority of the original author?

I wasn’t aware that it does. Simply pointing out that people may reject a potential relationship for reasons that have nothing to do with a fear of falling in love.

Boru

Who the heck is the original author whose authority you're supposedly rejecting? Lacking an identity how are we to guesstimate how legitcimate their authority is?
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(September 10, 2024 at 1:16 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(September 10, 2024 at 12:12 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I wasn’t aware that it does. Simply pointing out that people may reject a potential relationship for reasons that have nothing to do with a fear of falling in love.

Boru

Who the heck is the original author whose authority you're supposedly rejecting? Lacking an identity how are we to guesstimate how legitcimate their authority is?

It doesn’t really matter who. h311 bases his ‘arguments’ on appeals to authority. Therefore - in his eyes - ANY comment on ANY of his authorities counts as a rejection.

I used to think that way myself, that authorities were to be accepted, never criticized or questioned. I grew out of it because, you know, kindergarten changes people.

Boru
There is a Wonderful Therapist who goes by the name Marissa Peer, she once told a story about one of her clients, a woman who was very used to being in abusive relationships where she wasn't treated like she was valuable.

Because of this repeated pattern of being belittled by her parents and shamed by her partners this sense of low self worth became a place of great familiarity to her.

Marissa Peer has heard all too many times a woman confess to her, "he's too good for me." Yes, there are women who will say, after sharing a pleasant evening with a handsome man, "he's too good for me."

Also, yes, when JK Rowling tells you that the words Avada Kedavra can be used to kill Dumbledore, am I supposed to interject and say, "no it can't because magic isn't real." Or am I to accept the authority of the Original Author?
What an absurd question. Of course magic words can't kill dumbledore, nothing can. It's a character...and a century after jk rowling is dead people might still be coming up with news things for it to do..even coming back from the dead. Draculas been doing very well.

The whole thing is pointless, though, as you don't have any original authors to refer to for such an appeal in the first place. The authorities you do have, insomuch as they are authorities, and ignoring the fact that they strongly disagreed with each other, come later. Accepting attributions or asserting them, and also denying the same over issues of doctrine or credibility important to them at the time. The bible that you have today is made up of snippets of a larger body of folklore written well after the facts of it's genesis and across cultures geography, and time. Their authorship having become part of the story, as a literary religion gone global. If you considered this carefully, you would not need to know much about christianity or literary development to understand that no one in the beginning of christianity would or could have believed any of this as you premise it. They were illiterate, or pre-literate...and the church kept magic book under wraps and away from the plebs for quite some time...after it finally got around to stealing a book and stamping it's name on it. The earliest christian literary authorities main work was rejecting the vast majority of the pile as supserstitious and/or wrong (according to them) and ensuring that it would not be repeated. Sometimes by sequestration - other times by direct action through the execution of the authoring communities. The gospels of peter, thomas, mary and judas..as examples, were victims to this enterprise, despite the fact that they were popular in their time and, by then at least, we can state that there were christians who could read, had read them, and did believe in their attribution to the figures in question.

Christian authorities explicitly rejected the very same appeal, in those cases, that you are here now making to us. That a work was attributed to this or that person - even if a large number of people had traditionally believed the attribution, was not enough to have a given work included in canon, was not enough to accept the claims made on face value.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Historical Hercules Fake Messiah 27 378 Yesterday at 7:24 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Historical events turn into movies Fake Messiah 43 4938 October 21, 2023 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  historical quote/s altered or not the original?(amemrican goverment) Quill01 5 1177 July 25, 2022 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  An Historical Perspective BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1877 June 18, 2019 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Possibly the Best Historical Analogy for The WLB To Date Minimalist 6 1195 January 30, 2017 at 9:18 am
Last Post: paulpablo
Lightbulb Who's Your Favorite Historical Figure? thesummerqueen 152 15818 November 10, 2016 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Historical characters you admire Macoleco 52 6032 November 3, 2016 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Quest for the Historical Paul Minimalist 44 8500 May 18, 2016 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Historical Standpoint Blondie 30 5324 October 22, 2015 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Atheist historical figure you should know. Brian37 14 4366 September 19, 2014 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus