Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 27, 2024, 2:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Avoiding questions
RE: Avoiding questions
I really hate these, "I'm a Christian, ask me questions" type of threads. They never really go anywhere but they also die a slow long death.
(November 29, 2012 at 3:03 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: I really hate these, "I'm a Christian, ask me questions" type of threads. They never really go anywhere but they also die a slow long death.

It's kind of like bursting into a party without an invite and saying "Hey everyone, speak to me, speak to me!"

Sort of...
(November 29, 2012 at 11:36 am)apophenia Wrote:
(November 29, 2012 at 10:38 am)Drich Wrote: Your right it is easy to make a basless accusation and not back it up with anything. your personal example was awesome.

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/basics/nineb/

First off, quoting a site which mischaracterizes Hinduism doesn't rescue your mischaracterization (see below). But on top of that, even the source you cite refutes your earlier claim about Hinduism, thus validating my claim about your lies.

You stated:
(November 28, 2012 at 11:59 pm)Drich Wrote: I did not say Hinduism did not have a spiritual verfiable element to it. Hinduism does not place one in a direct relationshipp with God.

And your own source, incorrect as it is, states:
Quote:Hindus believe that divine beings exist in unseen worlds and that temple worship, rituals, sacraments and personal devotionals create a communion with these devas and Gods.

(Your site even goes further to claim, "It is a mystical religion, leading the devotee to personally experience the Truth within, finally reaching the pinnacle of consciousness where man and God are one." If that isn't a "direct relationship", I don't know what is.)

Next time you might want to make sure a source you quote actually supports your point, otherwise it's no better than the shit you pull from your ass. I gave you a source. I have been a Hindu for 30 years and your claiming that I don't constitute a source for the truth of my own tradition simply underscores yet again what your true relationship to Hinduism is.

Moreover, as a Hindu myself, I can verify that your "source" is crap. (The history of the Carvakas alone see to that.) But it's just like you that when you have the real deal standing in front of you, you instead go squirreling after a second hand example that fits your prejudices better.

Still waiting on your exegesis of the word holy which I asked you which you seem to have.... what's the word I'm looking for here....

Communion can mean anything from simple partisipation in the religious practices of a given religion or it can mean one has a personal relationship or sharing with their god. In Hinduism their isn't one set 'doctrine' to describe how that god reaches out to the followers of that religion. A more conseritive believer offered this to a question ask about his God:"TO ONE(God) SAGES DESCRIBE IN VARIOUS WAYS."

God gives us power to view,hear, and think but we cannot view ,hear and know God as He is. God is beyond the reach of human mind & intelligence. (mentioned in Kain Book of Veda)

So it is absolutely right & relevant everywhere & in all eras to declare that the sages describe that one God in various ways.

So one should not insist that only his/her way of describing God is correct and others' are wrong. A person claiming it is actually ignorant of God. It is clearly mentioned in Kain Book of Veda -
"AVIGYATUM( ignorant) VIJANTAM( claiming to know Him)".

Instead of such insistence, we should PRAY TO GOD FOR GOD"S INSPIRATION TO OUR INTELLIGENCE TOWARDS THE RIGHT PATH and then achieve HIS BLESSINGS (As prayed through Veda's supreme prayer called Gayatri Verse).
http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/ind...142AAkYpW0
While more liberal believers seem to think the oppsite. (That it is possiable to know their god even when their holy book says otherwise.) Who am I to say who is right? all I have ever studied of this religion is based on the more 'traditional' understanding of it.. And again that understanding says That the intimate relationship with God Christianity offers is not what is offered through Hinduism.

So, In the end you are right. In that i can't tell anyone how you see or worship your god. But, if you go back and re read what I wrote I never claimed to do this in the first place.
(November 29, 2012 at 3:10 pm)Napoléon Wrote:
(November 29, 2012 at 3:03 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: I really hate these, "I'm a Christian, ask me questions" type of threads. They never really go anywhere but they also die a slow long death.

It's kind of like bursting into a party without an invite and saying "Hey everyone, speak to me, speak to me!"

Sort of...

I'd think it would be more like, "Hello. I'm from the government. I'm here to help you."

By the way, still waiting on that exegesis, Drich....

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 29, 2012 at 3:19 pm)Drich Wrote: So, In the end you are right. In that i can't tell anyone how you see or worship your god. But, if you go back and re read what I wrote I never claimed to do this in the first place.
You don't worship your god ?
So you're not a christian either.
But what does that make you ?

A liar ?
"Jesus is like an unpaid babysitter "
R. Gervais
(November 29, 2012 at 1:24 pm)Vera Wrote: First of all, don't do me any favours like being "polite" on my behalf. (maybe just one though - learn to spell and/or spellcheck)
Big Grin You know someone (I believe it was on this web site) said something about the avaiablity of some sort of spell checking app.. Where all you do is click on the button and this app checks the spelling of the highlighted text... I D-clare if that aint proof of God i don't know what is!

Quote:Second, maybe the hordes of devoute (sic) atheists that you've debated over the years have reached the point where they couldn't take your bull anymore and all the fucks you've had to endure were aimed at you.
Actually, you know what, at least one of these arguements (sic) must have been on the Internet. Could you send me link to a devoute (sic) atheist saying stuff like "Fuck god and the fucking holy ghost. That's why I don't believe in them. Not because I have logical arguments on my side, but because fuck god."
Big Grin Just be patient Minnie will eventually pipe up and give you some fresh examples.
(If he still doesn't have me on ignore.)

Quote:Thirdly, you did provide an example (a retarded one, but still). The one with the abominable F-word, which obviously gets you all worked up. So by that logic (that you consider this particular word to be blasphemous (without explaining why)), any religionist may claim that he or she finds a certain word, expression, even belief to be blasphemous and thus refuse to discuss any further (and waste his or her pearls on us... for which we would actually be eternally grateful - if all religionists could keep their bull to themselves.... yet, they can't seem to be able to do it... why is this, I wonder Thinking )
It's not the word that makes the blaspheme, it the intention of the user to end the arguement by crossing the perceived line. Just like with the spelling. It's a panic button avaiable to you all to hit when things are getting to out of hand. If you push it hard enough I will leave you alone. Not because My delicate sensiablities have been violated. As a former Atheist i understand the need to end a conversation about God when it get out of hand, and the fastest way to do it is to cross a perceived line.

(November 29, 2012 at 3:28 pm)apophenia Wrote:
(November 29, 2012 at 3:10 pm)Napoléon Wrote: It's kind of like bursting into a party without an invite and saying "Hey everyone, speak to me, speak to me!"

Sort of...

I'd think it would be more like, "Hello. I'm from the government. I'm here to help you."

By the way, still waiting on that exegesis, Drich....

I missed it what exegesis?

(November 29, 2012 at 3:29 pm)Kousbroek Wrote:
(November 29, 2012 at 3:19 pm)Drich Wrote: So, In the end you are right. In that i can't tell anyone how you see or worship your god. But, if you go back and re read what I wrote I never claimed to do this in the first place.
Quote:You don't worship your god ?
Alpo claims to be a hindu. I said i do not claim to persume to tell her how she worships her hindu god.

(November 29, 2012 at 3:10 pm)Napoléon Wrote: [quote='Rhizomorph13' pid='367641' dateline='1354215835']
I really hate these, "I'm a Christian, ask me questions" type of threads. They never really go anywhere but they also die a slow long death.

Sort of...

..and I hate the misclassification lazy readers put on the efforts of others. Where did I asked to be asked questions in this thread? I was simply clarifying some comments made by me in relation to the questions your peers have made of their own free will. More than one of you in the last week or so said something to the effect that his questions were being dodged, which was not the case. Instead of hijacking someone else thread I opened a new one to allow you all to hash out any grievances or misunderstandings.

(November 29, 2012 at 1:24 pm)Vera Wrote: Actually, you know what, at least one of these arguements (sic) must have been on the Internet. Could you send me link to a devoute (sic) atheist saying stuff like "Fuck god and the fucking holy ghost. That's why I don't believe in them. Not because I have logical arguments on my side, but because fuck god."
Here you go Vera http://atheistforums.org/thread-15888.html

I didn't have a thread off of the top of my head, but I knew ole Minnie could be counted on, to F- God in someway shape or form. As I said I won't get into these arguements, but someone proably will and if it goes too far just watch and see what is said by this flag ship member of this Website.
(November 29, 2012 at 3:37 pm)Drich Wrote: As a former Atheist i understand the need to end a conversation about God when it get out of hand, and the fastest way to do it is to cross a perceived line.
Actually, I have no desire to start a conversation about god. Just as I'm not particularly interested in talking about the Abominable Snowman, unicorns, FSM or the monsters living under my bed. Fantasy is all good and fun, but I prefer mine a bit more magical and elvish, and a lot less genocidal and extremely harmful to human dignity and reason.

Quote:My delicate sensiablities have been violated.
Wow, that was a violation to my delicate sensibilities. Really...
But the eternal dilemma - how can we be happy amid the unhappiness of others?
(November 29, 2012 at 3:37 pm)Drich Wrote:
(November 29, 2012 at 3:28 pm)apophenia Wrote: By the way, still waiting on that exegesis, Drich....

I missed it what exegesis?

Apo is waiting while Drich is adding an online dictionary and google instruction manual to his Christmas list. Santa won't know what to bring since he still hasn't procured a spellchecker.
(November 29, 2012 at 4:42 pm)cato123 Wrote:
(November 29, 2012 at 3:37 pm)Drich Wrote: I missed it what exegesis?

Apo is waiting while Drich is adding an online dictionary and google instruction manual to his Christmas list. Santa won't know what to bring since he still hasn't procured a spellchecker.

"In a long line of disappointing Christmases, Drich receives yet another dog...."

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 29, 2012 at 3:19 pm)Drich Wrote: A more conseritive believer offered this to a question ask about his God:"TO ONE(God) SAGES DESCRIBE IN VARIOUS WAYS."

God gives us power to view,hear, and think but we cannot view ,hear and know God as He is. God is beyond the reach of human mind & intelligence. (mentioned in Kain Book of Veda)

So it is absolutely right & relevant everywhere & in all eras to declare that the sages describe that one God in various ways.

So one should not insist that only his/her way of describing God is correct and others' are wrong. A person claiming it is actually ignorant of God. It is clearly mentioned in Kain Book of Veda -
"AVIGYATUM( ignorant) VIJANTAM( claiming to know Him)".

Instead of such insistence, we should PRAY TO GOD FOR GOD"S INSPIRATION TO OUR INTELLIGENCE TOWARDS THE RIGHT PATH and then achieve HIS BLESSINGS (As prayed through Veda's supreme prayer called Gayatri Verse).

Does it take a super intelligence such as mine to realize the obvious parallel between this and the fact that all the gods are made up by people in different places and in different eras?