Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 21, 2024, 7:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Art of the Day
RE: Art of the Day
Love the Spidey one.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Why can't there be more Gilgamesh in this thread?

[Image: 7.jpg]
^ The only image in this thread (page 1) worthy of being referred to as "art."
(January 22, 2013 at 10:44 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: http://www.neatorama.com/2013/01/19/Embedded/

Say, did you learn about that website from this post recently?
No, I had neatorama in my Reader feed for quite some time. It's just that they pull from other art websites, and I have some of those art websites in my Reader as well so I'm probably not linking from Neatorama directly.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I love this so much:

Quote:When millions of men joined the armed forces, women had to replace them by taking jobs that previously had been held by men – such as bank teller, shoe salesperson or even aircraft mechanic. Woman started working in factories – this was called the “Rosie the Riveter” phenomenon.

Although we’re blessed of not having to witness the atrocities of World War II, some people take great interest in the history of the period. Dave Hall, fascinated by the authentic photographs from the time, brings them back to life by colorizing them in Photoshop. Most of the pictures come from the Library of Congress and were originally taken by Alfred T. Palmer who worked for the Office of War Information (responsible for promoting patriotism, war news management and women recruitment). His photos had to lure young women into the factories by showing women workers as glamorous and even fashionable.

Dave is also running a vintage photo blog Shorpy.com, where he publishes his retouched photos. The website is named after Shorpy Higginbotham, who lived over 100 years ago, and today features thousands of high definition images from the 1850s to the 1950s. Some of them could really be confused for contemporary photography!

Pictures of Women at Work During WW2 Restored in Color

PS: I totally love tying my hair up like that on the weekends when I'm cleaning - with a victory roll or two even. Wink
Yep looks like Zen's work place.... go girls! (If that is what you like to do)
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
SOCIAL MEDIA + LIFE AFTER DEATH = SEMI LIVING ‘ABOVE THE CLOUD’

Quote:I’ve always been interested in how social media users pages still continue to be updated after their death thanks to friends tagging photos, commenting and updating statuses referencing them. Not only does it keep their memories alive, it allows them to continue ‘living’ through a visible platform for friends to relive, share grief and remember.

This idea of digital archeology has been explored by Graphic Designer Boris Meister from ECAL University of Art and Design, Lausanne Switzerland . The book, ‘Above the Cloud’ is an atlas about social networks archeology, death and digital marks left in distress on the internet. Over 6 million Facebook accounts belong to dead people or ‘Ghosts’, and Meister explores how people continue ‘Semi-Living’ through interactions from friends.

[Image: above-the-cloud_03.jpeg?w=710]

Quote:Epitaphs are also explored through the last messages written on social networks before dying. An example is Taylor Sauer who posted “I can’t discuss this now. Driving and facebooking is not safe! Haha.” on Facebook one minute before she had a car accident.

[Image: above-the-cloud_07.jpeg?w=640&h=427]
[Image: above-the-cloud-23.jpeg?w=710]

http://vimeo.com/47249643
Capturing romantic moments in Paris

Quote:Best known for documenting conflict and the plight of people who are suffering, photojournalist Peter Turnley has covered a massive amount of newsworthy events and has been published worldwide, including 43 times on the cover of Newsweek. In contrast to this noteworthy work, the distinguished photographer has also spent almost 40 years developing a series of black and white images that expose a different side of himself.

Turnley's interest in the human condition explores both the struggles, as well as the beauty and pleasures, of life. Since 1975, he has documented the intimate moments of love across the city of Paris, a place that he describes as his "adopted home."

According to his bio, "His tender, humoristic, and sensual view of 'The City of Lights' offers distinct contrast to the stark realities depicted in his photojournalism. He has photographed the life of Paris as much as anyone of his generation. He is among a rare breed of contemporary photographers whose body of photography bridges both the worlds of photojournalism and fine art."

[Image: PeterTurnley2.jpg]

[Image: PeterTurnley3.jpg]

[Image: PeterTurnley5.jpg]

[Image: PeterTurnley7.jpg]

[Image: PeterTurnley8.jpg]

[Image: PeterTurnley10.jpg]

[Image: 599468_15331190_lz.jpg]
(February 22, 2013 at 4:48 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Capturing romantic moments in Paris

Have you seen 'Angel A' by Luc Besson?
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
Life Emerges Inside Elaborately Carved Wooden Books

[Image: NinoOrlandi1.jpg]

[Image: NinoOrlandi2.jpg]

[Image: NinoOrlandi4.jpg]

[Image: NinoOrlandi6.jpg]

[Image: NinoOrlandi10.jpg]

[Image: NinoOrlandi12.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Art in the Home FrustratedFool 17 1701 October 25, 2023 at 6:59 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  "Impossible" Art LinuxGal 12 1522 September 9, 2023 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Is art deranged? MarcusA 29 2815 September 3, 2023 at 7:34 am
  What is Art? MarcusA 15 1317 September 3, 2023 at 2:17 am
Last Post: MarcusA
  Art in decadence? Macoleco 53 6497 December 4, 2022 at 5:43 pm
  Of neon and art deco...... Brian37 7 765 September 2, 2020 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  April fool. This is indeed a work of art. Succubus#2 1 423 April 1, 2020 at 6:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  'demonic' art project at school Fake Messiah 1 573 October 23, 2019 at 12:16 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  Censored Art Photos Silver 5 719 April 27, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Your Thoughts On Art Alan V 86 7805 April 16, 2019 at 6:35 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir