Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 1, 2024, 1:27 pm

Poll: Pledge of Alligiance a good topic?
This poll is closed.
Yes
45.45%
5 45.45%
No
54.55%
6 54.55%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highschool Persuasion Speech
RE: Highschool Persuasion Speech
Nice Dotard, may go with it then. But I've been told not to associate with "sects" offenders! Big Grin
--- RDW, 17
"Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan
"I don't believe in [any] god[s]. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason." - Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut
[Image: truthyellow.jpg]
I say go for it. If recent polls are to be believed, 16% of people in America consider themselves atheists. That's 16% (and growing) of people who are practically excluded from the pledge due to the "under God" phrase.
I was researching some on other religions in USA, is it really only around 0.2% - 2.0% islam in US? seems like more based on what I've seen at school.
--- RDW, 17
"I don't believe in [any] god[s]. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason." - Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut
I would do it on prayer in the school. I've heard both sides of this, and no matter which way it goes, there is more bad that will come of this than good. In other words, the term, "Be careful for what you wish for, because you just might get it" truly shows it's head on this topic.

Prayer being allowed, does not just stand in terms for "Christian Prayer". It would go across the board for all religious sects. I have brought this up many times to friends, family, and people where I live. (Louisiana AKA Bible Belt).

I have actually changed a few minds after discussing it more in details. The majority that want this, simply hear "Prayer in schools to be allowed" and they are tripping over each other to yell their, "Hell yes" and "Where do I put my voting mark". Of course without putting a single thought into it.

Many Christian families that are raising their children to be a Christian, want the least amount of outside influence to be put onto their children. Or they see the outside influence, but no where near what it would be like if prayer were to be allowed in the classrooms. If any type of open form prayer were allowed, you would have Buddhist, Muslims, Christians, Wiccans, Hindus, all the above, in one classroom showing their faith to some extent.

Of course you would have your "Holy Wars", and problems added by allowing this, but you would also have children starting to think outside the box for a change when it came to what they were being raised in. The pure and simply knowledge that not everyone believes the same or any many cases, the exact opposite of what they believe.

It's a double bladed sword, and of course the conclusion should be to just simply leave it out period, but if allowed, the same Christian parents that are wanting prayer in school, will be some of the same ones bitching about it later on. Again, "Be careful what you wish for"......
Intelligence is the only true moral guide...
(November 14, 2009 at 3:13 pm)littlegrimlin1 Wrote: I was researching some on other religions in USA, is it really only around 0.2% - 2.0% islam in US? seems like more based on what I've seen at school.

For every 10 neighbors you have, 2 are Atheists.
╔═╪══╬═╦╦═╬══╪═╗
║♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ McGodless! ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ║
Bah-bah-bah-bah-bahhh~!
║♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ I'm lovin' it! ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪║
╚═╪══╬═╩╩═╬══╪═╝

"And God said, drunk, 'Let there be Tails Turrosaki,' and there was Tails."
I wish it was like that, only if they were distributed evenly among the US that may happen, but I don't that's the case in my neighborhood. (2/10 of every neighbor)

My school is full of Christians, Muslims, and Hindus. Some of those goth peeps profess to be Satanists but, I think its for the attention, just because they are generally looked down on. I have a friend that is Hindu, who said he has came to a revelation and "became" atheistic, but I'm not sure if I beleive that atm, I'm certainly not putting FAITH in it lol!

And yes, prayer in school seems to be a very good topic, I could also include the pledge if I find a place. Thank you, sounds awesome blossom! Big Grin
--- RDW, 17
It's only an average to say every 2/10 people in the USA are Atheists. Soon that will rise to 10/10.
╔═╪══╬═╦╦═╬══╪═╗
Bah-bah-bah-bah-bahhh~!
╚═╪══╬═╩╩═╬══╪═╝

Haha, that is our goal but, there's always that minority that will make 10/10 our asymptote.
--- RDW, 17
Fucking irrationalists. T3T
╔═╪══╬═╦╦═╬══╪═╗
Bah-bah-bah-bah-bahhh~!
╚═╪══╬═╩╩═╬══╪═╝

Being an Aussie,I don't really care a great deal about what Americans do in their schools. (OK,I lied; I don't care at all)

IF having "under God" in the pledge is unconstitutional,it should be removed,period.

I remain bemused at the long American tradition of ignoring or deliberately misinterpreting its constitution when it becomes inconvenient. (I can give you a list if you like)

Does it happen in Australia? Of course, but less because we don't have a Bill Of Rights to flout.Devil

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Formal and Informal speech lizbizdiz 19 2003 July 3, 2019 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  [split] PSA: Hate Speech (discussion of video etc) Huggy Bear 223 11311 May 3, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Free speech issue, again.... Foundy 32 3926 December 24, 2017 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Free speech issue... ƵenKlassen 34 5264 December 4, 2017 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Westborough Baptist Church - free speech. paulpablo 25 7503 July 1, 2017 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The Real JFK NWO Speech... And the Definition of "Theory" ScienceAf 8 2451 August 17, 2016 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: ScienceAf
  Lovely speech Excited Penguin 3 851 March 14, 2016 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Women and speech BrokenQuill92 6 1733 January 30, 2014 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: Shaggy
  commemorative speech The_Flying_Skeptic 0 1029 November 22, 2011 at 3:34 am
Last Post: The_Flying_Skeptic
  Censorship, rape culture and free-speech Autumnlicious 29 11736 March 20, 2011 at 6:10 am
Last Post: Violet