Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 22, 2024, 7:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Born this way, baby
RE: Born this way, baby
(March 25, 2013 at 4:46 pm)catfish Wrote: Awww, c'mon.... You're just mad because I exposed your first question's presuppositional fallacy and you gave an obtuse (unclear) answer to the definition of "normal" to hide that fact.
You then responded displaying attributes that fit the other (2a) definition. It was fucking classic!

1) I explained that the issue is a matter of perspective. What one person may find difficult to comprehend, another may find quite easy to understand. Theory of minds, man; most people figure this out as toddlers.

2) I'm not the one saying anything is unnatural. If you think homosexuality is unnatural, perhaps the homophobes need to be telling us how they define 'natural.'
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(March 25, 2013 at 4:56 pm)TaraJo Wrote: 1) I explained that the issue is a matter of perspective. What one person may find difficult to comprehend, another may find quite easy to understand. Theory of minds, man; most people figure this out as toddlers.
Which is why I asked for clarification of normal

(March 25, 2013 at 4:56 pm)TaraJo Wrote: 2) I'm not the one saying anything is unnatural. If you think homosexuality is unnatural, perhaps the homophobes need to be telling us how they define 'natural.'

Strawmaning me already? Define "normal", not 'natural'...
(March 25, 2013 at 5:01 pm)catfish Wrote: Define "normal".

[Image: 20120908-133123.jpg]
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Actually, normal is when two lines meet in a 90o angle Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(March 25, 2013 at 5:01 pm)catfish Wrote: Strawmaning me already? Define "normal", not 'natural'...

If you don't want to be misrepresented, perhaps you should actually present something to begin with. You can't blame us if you're dancing all around without answering any questions.

You've made a claim: to you, homosexuality is not normal. Now, please provide us with your definition of normal, so we can get a little closer to discerning your actual reasons for thinking that and maybe having a real discussion on the subject.

Wouldn't that be just crazy?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(March 25, 2013 at 5:25 pm)Esquilax Wrote:
(March 25, 2013 at 5:01 pm)catfish Wrote: Strawmaning me already? Define "normal", not 'natural'...

If you don't want to be misrepresented, perhaps you should actually present something to begin with. You can't blame us if you're dancing all around without answering any questions.

You've made a claim: to you, homosexuality is not normal. Now, please provide us with your definition of normal, so we can get a little closer to discerning your actual reasons for thinking that and maybe having a real discussion on the subject.

Shifting the burden of proof? WTF?
(March 25, 2013 at 5:44 pm)catfish Wrote:
(March 25, 2013 at 5:25 pm)Esquilax Wrote: If you don't want to be misrepresented, perhaps you should actually present something to begin with. You can't blame us if you're dancing all around without answering any questions.

Shifting the burden of proof? WTF?

You made the claim that homosexuality is unnatural and/or abnormal. So, yes, the burden of proof generally lies on the person making the claim. If you want our proof that homosexuality is ok, I can simply point to the overwhelming majority of peer reviewed, scientific studies done on it in psychology, biology, zoology, archaeology and pretty much every field that studies it from a scientific perspective.

If you're asking for our burden of proof that it is normal/natural, we still need to understand what criteria you use to judge the whether something is normal or natural.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Re: Born this way, baby
There is a shitload of evidence that homosexuality is natural. Just go to a zoo and if you hang around long enough you will see for yourself.

You know what isn't normal or natural? Homophobia. Nope. You won't see that prejudiced shit anywhere in nature. So stfu.
(March 25, 2013 at 5:53 pm)TaraJo Wrote: You made the claim that homosexuality is unnatural and/or abnormal. So, yes, the burden of proof generally lies on the person making the claim. If you want our proof that homosexuality is ok, I can simply point to the overwhelming majority of peer reviewed, scientific studies done on it in psychology, biology, zoology, archaeology and pretty much every field that studies it from a scientific perspective.

If you're asking for our burden of proof that it is normal/natural, we still need to understand what criteria you use to judge the whether something is normal or natural.

No, I made the claim that it was an abomination to which noone responded and you made some snide comment about. You subsequestly directed me to your questions in which you made at least 2 presuppositional fallacies (bolded below). Besides that, you haven't even stated a position yet nor dictated to me what mine is. But I digress, you asked, so I'll answer when the questions are clear and factual.

Quote:1) Homosexuality being normal and natural is extremely well established in the scietific community. It's reached the point where it's so well established that we don't even bother debating it. Sometimes people will try to figure out what causes homosexuality, and we've come to some interesting conclusions from genetics, epi-genetics, prenatal hormone levels, prenatal brain development and even birth order. None of these are things that people have any realistic choice over.

I believe we have some factual errors in your question #1 as bolded above and the italicized portion is just, well, kinda fucking ironic...
To be honest, it doesn't matter. God is just a character in an overly large story book that we just so happen to call "Holy", yet there is no evidence whatsoever that it is.

That's my same view on abortion, polygamy, and all the others.

Also, if God really cared, he'd have killed us all in an instant...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tis the season for the magic baby NuclearEnergy 27 5319 December 18, 2017 at 9:12 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  I don't exactly feel the same way I once did. Ryantology 18 3169 January 26, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  If someone says science can't explain everything what's the best way to repond? ReptilianPeon 94 15193 December 14, 2016 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Theist trope: "Is life just a game?", what's the best way to rerpond? ReptilianPeon 8 3304 May 20, 2016 at 4:06 am
Last Post: Alex K
  If someone says to me "consciousness, therefore god", what's the best way to respond? ReptilianPeon 56 9039 March 9, 2016 at 7:02 am
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Justifying the way things are. Combanitorics 11 3863 October 31, 2015 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Billboard proclaims "Nobody is born gay" Silver 201 32687 December 22, 2014 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Okay, You Were Born Gay...But You're Still Going To Hell! Nope 18 7846 December 15, 2014 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Christian Mingle, The Easiest Way To Get Laid. JohnDG 51 51353 September 9, 2014 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Best way to annoy a theist Dystopia 21 6212 July 21, 2014 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Angrboda