Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 1:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theist trope: "Is life just a game?", what's the best way to rerpond?
Theist trope: "Is life just a game?", what's the best way to rerpond?
This trope has been resurrected by some of al-Saud's henchmen and you can see the slogan in many "Dawah" videos. It's part of a marketing campaign where they try and make Saudi seem more palatable to use Kuffa.   I've tried to organize my thoughts on the subject in the hopes of making a video presentation but it's starting to look inconclusive. I'm not sure which position is better to argue for. Life may be comparable to a game or it might not me. Do I leave it at that or do I find definitive answer?

The henchmen of al-Saud  in the West haven't told us what sort of game they are talking about when they ambush the general public. Is it a particular sport their slogan t-shirt alludes to? Or a type of board game? Or do they mean a card game? I know I'm thinking more deeply about then that Abdul Wahaabs lackeys would like me to, but it really bugs me.

Just to add some further thoughts to the below text, I think I was beginning to argue that it's the Theist that thinks life is a game. Angels in the Quran behave like characters in a video game (like a computer) and video games are programmed, like they say our universe is programmed. And, every piece of programming video game has a purpose, like how Theists say our universe is full of purpose.

Yet I could also argue that irreligious people are happy to call life a game, if it means comparing our universe to a sandbox game - like Minecraft. But I'm not sure that I'm happy with this argumentation. I hesitate to compare lift to a game but I have type a paragraph or two arguing just that.

RE: Theist trope: "Is life just a game?", what's the best way to rerpond?
No, because games are miniature realities in which skills and behavior can be tested and trained. Their whole point is that they are not life but a simulation. (not taking into account gambling or pro sports where results of games are designed on purpose to affect real life.)
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(May 20, 2016 at 3:00 am)Alex K Wrote: No, because games are miniature realities in which skills and behavior can be tested and trained. Their whole point is that they are not life but a simulation. (not taking into account gambling or pro sports where results of games are designed on purpose to affect real life.)

Thanks for that. I'll have to mention that. Thing is, the people have the slogan "is life just a game?" do say that life is where we are tested and trained in preparation for, as they call it, "the day of judgement". So I don't know how helpful mentioning that is, though I suppose it adds credence to the idea that it's the Theist who thinks that life is a game.

(May 20, 2016 at 3:08 am)MrNoMorePropaganda Wrote:
(May 20, 2016 at 3:00 am)Alex K Wrote: No, because games are miniature realities in which skills and behavior can be tested and trained. Their whole point is that they are not life but a simulation. (not taking into account gambling or pro sports where results of games are designed on purpose to affect real life.)

Thanks for that. I'll have to mention that. Thing is, the people have the slogan "is life just a game?" do say that life is where we are tested and trained in preparation for, as they call it, "the day of judgement". So I don't know how helpful mentioning that is, though I suppose it adds credence to the idea that it's the Theist who thinks that life is a game.

Yes, exactly. Don't we observe this kind of absurd projection all the time in conversations with believers?

"We believers are humble, while you atheists think you are God! You atheists think you can do whatever you want! Atheism is just a religion anyways. You atheists think life is just a game! You don't have any moral standards!"
To which the answer is of course - 1. No, we don't think we are God, because we don't believe in gods. But you believe the creator of the whole universe's made it just for you, cares where you touch yourself and helps your football team win, but it is us who need to learn humility? 2. No, you can sin and then ask for forgiveness with Jesus afterwards, we have to live with the consequences of our actions 3. So, you are saying religions are a bad thing, then? 4. No, we only have one life to live, while you think it's just a test run for eternity. 5. Well, we have to work hard to get our ethics right, you just do what you're told and think that's moral (or so you like to claim although you don't really). That's not moral, that's blind obedience to a sky dictator.

The list surely goes on, but there's a pattern. Believers take the most problematic aspects of their faith and accuse nonbelievers of the same thing. I'm at a loss what the mechanism behind that is.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

This is backwards.

Life is a game to most religious people, not to atheists. Life is "just a test". What more of a game could it be? It reduces existence to some sort of perverse sport with a celestial umpire grading people.

To your average sceptic atheist, life is the likely entirety of existence, and so has far more value and reason to be taken seriously at every turn.

I was discussing with a friend recently, and we came to the conclusion that life would seem like a game to a psycopath; someone who is incapable of caring about anything, not even themselves.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Probably just the religionists in denial. It's ironic yes. The more I think about this the more confused I become. Theist should be confused by their own statements but most don't think deeply enough. I struggle to understand these "great debaters" when they debate the famous Atheists; they all sound so confused and it's horrible. And their lackeys will still say they won. Perhaps it's delusions of grandeur?

(May 20, 2016 at 3:59 am)robvalue Wrote: This is backwards.

Life is a game to most religious people, not to atheists. Life is "just a test". What more of a game could it be? It reduces existence to some sort of perverse sport with a celestial umpire grading people.

To your average sceptic atheist, life is the likely entirety of existence, and so has far more value and reason to be taken seriously at every turn.

I was discussing with a friend recently, and we came to the conclusion that life would seem like a game to a psycopath; someone who is incapable of caring about anything, not even themselves.

Many theist's moral arguments implicitly start like this: "Ok, so, let's assume we were all psychopaths..."

Yes... that is what's so scary to me about it.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(May 20, 2016 at 4:01 am)MrNoMorePropaganda Wrote: Probably just the religionists in denial. It's ironic yes. The more I think about this the more confused I become. Theist should be confused by their own statements but most don't think deeply enough. I struggle to understand these "great debaters" when they debate the famous Atheists; they all sound so confused and it's horrible. And their lackeys will still say they won. Perhaps it's delusions of grandeur?

I just watched a talk by an ex-homeopath which she gave at the recent German skeptic conference, and she made the striking observation that while she worked as a homeopath (and she's an MD!), she was firmly anchored in a very superficial and "intuitive" mode of thinking. Only when she really engaged skeptics in discussions, trying to debunk their criticisms, did she notice the difference between the actual rigorous and careful arguments they built and the kind of whishy-washy intuitive arguments which are the norm in her former alt-med community. She had always unquestioningly taken that as a valid way of thinking, and is now embarrassed by it.

I'm telling this story because I think it very closely parallels what goes on in religious believer's minds, I think.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is a theist other then the basic definition? Quill01 4 714 August 1, 2022 at 11:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Theist with Questions RBP3280 57 2614 April 1, 2022 at 6:14 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Dating / Married To Theist wolf39us 23 2796 April 8, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  You're a theist against immigration? Foxaèr 54 9143 July 9, 2018 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A serious question for the theist. Foxaèr 18 2991 May 9, 2018 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Stupid theist tricks........ Brian37 6 1866 April 29, 2018 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Brian37
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, vaahaa 19 2799 September 18, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Just think about life WinterHold 17 2409 August 14, 2017 at 11:55 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Foxaèr 13 3609 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 22170 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic