Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If someone says to me "consciousness, therefore god", what's the best way to respond?
If someone says to me "consciousness, therefore god", what's the best way to respond?
I'm pretty sure claiming "consciousness, therefore god" is an argument from ignorance, but I'm not sure that's the best way to respond. I know there must be a proper name for this argument but I either can't remember what that name is, or I've not heard the name used before. I've personally mainly been tackling the biological and psychical (e.g. astronomy/cosmology) arguments against religion. I find biology and physics more interesting and, as a result, I feel as though I've neglected the psychological side of things.

A religionist may say "How did we get from clumps of sub-atomic particles/atoms/cells to being conscious?" That would be where the "argument from ignorance" comes in. But I think that's too simplistic an answer. Or maybe I'm over thinking this.

Perhaps it is just best to say "I don't know" in relation to consciousness. Just like the only honest answer to the creation of our universe is "I don't know" (because it's arrogant to claim otherwise). I'll be interested to see how consciousness affects the many-worlds interpretation (if it is proven), but that's something we're far away from learning about right now.

Some context:

I needed a good laugh to cheer me up, so I went looking for more "I'm totally not an Islamist but I used to be a member of Hizb ut-Tahrir and I'm reluctant to condemn them" Hamza Tzortis - something I do from time to time (though less often now). His newest video, "I Am an Atheist" proves God!, was very confusing and incoherent but it at least got me thinking about consciousness. The video was full of jargon and doublespeak (which I am sure his cheer-squad don't understand either, even though they may pretend otherwise) and it made very little sense to me as a result - so I suggest not watching it. N.B. Hamza claims this argument is not "god of the gaps" but I'm pretty sure it is because it relies on us not fully understanding consciousness.

RE: If someone says to me "consciousness, therefore god", what's the best way to respond?
Repeatedly slam them into a tree while screaming 'yeah yeah that's the ticket.'
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
RE: If someone says to me "consciousness, therefore god", what's the best wa...
Depending on the specific form it could be a cosmological, teleological, or anthropic argument. That it contains an internal argument from ignorance is par for the course from the godly camp.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:If someone says to me "consciousness, therefore god", what's the best way to respond?

Beat them unconscious and then tell them God doesn't exist. Well, you know - pin a note to their shirt or sommat.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: If someone says to me "consciousness, therefore god", what's the best way to respond?
Oh fuck sake, everyone's already in with the 'kick them in the face' jokes.
(February 8, 2016 at 8:39 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Oh fuck sake, everyone's already in with the 'kick them in the face' jokes.

Dunno about anyone else, but I wasn't joking.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
"God" isn't an explanation. It's a total abandonment of any kind of rational, critical investigation. And as has been said, it's always an argument from ignorance.

"Stuff is really complicated therefor God" is not even an argument. These people should replace it with, "Stuff is really complicated so I should go learn more about it, so I can reach a more informed conclusion". I'd say invite him to go study it in more detail. If he doesn't want to, that just shows he's more interested in his conclusion than the facts.

Logical arguments are never evidence, even when they're not shot through with logical fallacies.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Well Hamza is adamant "consciousness therefore god" is not "god of the gaps". In fact, he arrogantly asserts that "god of the gaps" is "an outdated Atheist clichè", as he puts it. It really worries me that people time him seriously enough to the point of worshipping him.

"Why?"
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(February 9, 2016 at 7:09 am)MrNoMorePropaganda Wrote: Well Hamza is adamant "consciousness therefore god" is not "god of the gaps". In fact, he arrogantly asserts that "god of the gaps" is "an outdated Atheist clichè", as he puts it. It really worries me that people time him seriously enough to the point of worshipping him.

But why is it an outdated cliché? Because he doesn't like it? Also which god does consciousness support? Consciousness therefore Vishnu? What if you tell him Hinduism is more likely then Islam? That be a fun reaction to see.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Islam itself says Muhammad is a liar Woah0 41 3142 August 27, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  Someone should tell these people Buddha never existed Vincenzo Vinny G. 14 4573 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
Thumbs Up Taoism Says That Everything Has an Opposite Philos_Tone 37 4485 November 20, 2018 at 8:35 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  How do you call someone who is religious only because it makes them feel happy? Der/die AtheistIn 38 7399 November 25, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: c172
  Personal experience says religious folks are more prone to mental diseases ErGingerbreadMandude 20 7771 August 9, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  I don't exactly feel the same way I once did. Ryantology 18 2695 January 26, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 12643 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  If someone says science can't explain everything what's the best way to repond? ReptilianPeon 94 13227 December 14, 2016 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  The Best Evidence For God and Against God The Joker 49 9598 November 22, 2016 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Dalai Lama says that terrorists have no religion Aegon 12 1746 September 28, 2016 at 2:58 am
Last Post: InsaneDane