Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 4:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ex-"New Atheist", Now Christian
RE: Ex-"New Atheist", Now Christian
(April 19, 2013 at 1:52 pm)whateverist Wrote: Something tells me you wouldn't wait to form your belief about whether or not you were in love until after you'd gotten the results of any blood samples. We believe many things for which we have nbo evidence and act on many more beliefs of which we're usually not even aware. Very rarely do we bother to ask for evidence.

True, but my point was that crude language is not all we have.
It is overly simplistic to just say "love eh, one of life's mystery's"

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Thank you for the welcomes and "Kudos"! Big Grin

New forum HERE. I will endeavour to answer all of the questions asked of me.
Welcome.

Hume would of course agree with you that the emotion of love doesn't require reason, as would Schopenhauer. Passion and compassion are at least ultimately separate from reason, in their opinions.

That is also my current opinion.

I must admit that I did wonder if you were a Poe when I saw your name and how everything you posted seemed rational to me, until you mentioned how you used to believe you "knew the truth" about religion when you were an atheist, and how when you became christian you felt the sense of an "evil presence" leaving you. Although I could imagine an overly rationalistic view of the world leading to nihilistic beliefs (or lack thereof) that lead you to believing - incorrectly in my current opinion - that this must be the case without embracing theism.

I can imagine that because I've experienced that myself. But I simply focus more on empiricism now, although I of course still don't reject rationalistic completely, I am not rationalistic or overly reductionistic about matters of feelings, emotions, passions, moods and the personality as a whole. I am now far more empirical, phenomenological and experience-based regarding those subjects.
(April 19, 2013 at 2:25 pm)HalcyonicTrust Wrote: Welcome.

Hume would of course agree with you that the emotion of love doesn't require reason, as would Schopenhauer. Passion and compassion are at least ultimately separate from reason, in their opinions.

That is also my current opinion.

I must admit that I did wonder if you were a Poe when I saw your name and how everything you posted seemed rational to me, until you mentioned how you used to believe you "knew the truth" about religion when you were an atheist, and how when you became christian you felt the sense of an "evil presence" leaving you. Although I could imagine an overly rationalistic view of the world leading to nihilistic beliefs (or lack thereof) that lead you to believing - incorrectly in my current opinion - that this must be the case without embracing theism.

I can imagine that because I've experienced that myself. But I simply focus more on empiricism now, although I of course still don't reject rationalistic completely, I am not rationalistic or overly reductionistic about matters of feelings, emotions, passions, moods and the personality as a whole. I am now far more empirical, phenomenological and experience-based regarding those subjects.

Hello,

Cheers. Wink

Welcome.

[Image: w20.png][Image: D7612546_2932214_6368853]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Welcome to the forum.

Forgive my sounding rude but this conversion story comes across as calculated and false. If you were an atheist, then you could not have been an atheist who places much value in rationality, reason, or logic if a single event made you discard all of that, arbitrarily pick a deity, and take at face value all of the unoriginal and baseless assertions it makes. I suspect very strongly that you have always been a Christian and that you are simply more aware of atheist viewpoints than most. If your story is true, it is very sad and regrettable.

If that sounds mean and unfair, well, we have a fair number of Christians here and they make the same claim in the hopes that it somehow legitimizes their 'present' belief system.
[Image: 13996_354897194611059_881283914_n.jpg]

Welcome

I too am suspicious of your story (I'm a suspicious biatch) ...I read it as proof that your mind will lie to you but hey....
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Love wrote:
Quote:Yes, I am aware of this bizarre online phenomenon of established forum members attacking new members, which in actuality constitues a form of bullying.

Whoa! I place bets on two weeks and we'll be left loveless! Anyone? Just kidding...

Three weeks! Anyone?

Now I'm really kidding. No I'm not. Ok, I am.

Welcome Big Grin
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
Ello luv.

I assume that you would consider yourself an independent/non denominational. Care to plant your flag anywhere? Would you class yourself non trinitarian? I assume this topo be the case given your stance on Jesus. apologies if you've answered this elsewhere.

thesummerqueen dismissing mental wanking... now there's self denial :)
The mental wanking had to be about something that ‘turns me on' frods, just like real masturbation. That doesn't mean it's worth anything more than self-gratification in either case.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ex Christian, relieved to be an agnostic atheist SerenelyBlue 28 4687 September 7, 2016 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: ScienceAf
  I'm now an atheist Adam Blackstar 29 3495 June 14, 2016 at 3:27 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheist married to Christian - hello! atheistmama 14 2884 November 28, 2013 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hello I am new here. I am an ex christian and here are some of my beliefs p90powa 23 7027 June 2, 2013 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: Pandas United
  New New New Quid 23 5061 December 11, 2012 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  New poster; relatively new atheist. Creed of Heresy 15 4205 February 21, 2012 at 11:56 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Former agnostic, now Christian lucent 96 50613 September 20, 2011 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  New here, but not a new Atheist mboss 12 4095 June 15, 2011 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Epimethean
  From Christian To Atheist DanielSchaffiro 14 3290 June 7, 2011 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Zenith
  New member here, and a Christian thechristophershow 30 6593 October 1, 2010 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: Zen Badger