Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 11, 2024, 12:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Measles Outbreak at Vaccine-Denying Church
RE: Measles Outbreak at Vaccine-Denying Church
I'd like Dirch to admit that his "There are no atheists in foxholes" statement was incorrect. Then we can all go about our day.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

(August 28, 2013 at 11:50 am)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: I'd like Dirch to admit that his "There are no atheists in foxholes" statement was incorrect. Then we can all go about our day.

Don't hold your breath waiting.
The expression "No Atheists in Foxholes" refers to the moment somebody thinks they're gonna die, whether they believed in a God or not, they adopt a God and start praying! It's kinda like saying, "Atheists may go in to Fox Holes, but the moment the shit hits the fan, they don't stay Atheists long", There's obviously been no conclusive study or evidence to support such a thing, it's just a funny anecdote that he probably heard at church or something.

Drich may have even meant it that way from the beginning. But now, he's defending a new contention all together, which is:

Atheists don't go in to Fox holes at all, and anybody that doesn't go in to Fox Holes is a pussy!

Good luck Drich!
(August 28, 2013 at 12:11 pm)Texas Sailor Wrote: The expression "No Atheists in Foxholes" refers to the moment somebody thinks they're gonna die, whether they believed in a God or not, they adopt a God and start praying! It's kinda like saying, "Atheists may go in to Fox Holes, but the moment the shit hits the fan, they don't stay Atheists long"

Joe Simpson, author of "Touching the Void", addresses the issue in the film adaptation of his nearly fatal climb up the Siula Grande mountain. Referring to the moment when he lay at the bottom of a deep crevasse, dehydrated, alone, and with a broken leg, he states:

'"I was totally convinced I was on my own, that no one was coming to get me. I was brought up as a devout Catholic. I'd long since stopped believing in God. I always wondered if things really hit the fan, whether I would, under pressure, turn round and say a few Hail Marys and say 'Get me out of here'. It never once occurred to me. It meant that I really don't believe and I really do think that when you die, you die, that's it, there's no afterlife."
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

Interesting...Sometimes Fox Holes have an adverse affect! Perhaps we should start a new expression that's a bit more meaningful.

You know what they say.."If there was a God, there wouldn't be Fox Holes..."
(August 28, 2013 at 10:02 am)BadWriterSparty Wrote: I guess if an SA-7 or Stinger hits my EC-130 as I take off from from Bagram AB in Afghanistan, Drich won't even bat an eye at our deaths because we weren't the team of Army Rangers on the ground doing the "real" work.

You're right, Drich. We don't hold every service member up to the same status; we don't because there are assholes like you with whom we must serve. You're the real d-bag, but don't take my word for it.

My uncle was an f-4 phantom Rio, who had 2 phantoms shot out from underneath him. He was in an unarmed f-4 running interference for fighter bomber strikes. The first time they made it to the ocean before the bailed out, and the second he was inland. and it took him two weeks to get out. but by then he contracted malaria and was sent to a base in Germany.

This goes without saying. if you are in harm's way (getting shot at) you are a combat troop. IF you are on or served on an EC-130 you were in harms way. The respect due you by civvies and fellow troopers SHOULD Be different than someone who changes tires in the motor pool in a rearward operating base.

How would you feel if you found out I did your old job via a drone? and what if I started telling people I was deserving of the same adoration and respect as you who has been in Harms way, just because we accomplished the same task, but me from several hundred miles from any danger..

Better yet, What if you were a fighter pilot with one confirmed combat kill, and I was a drone pilot with 10 confirmed kills. Would you look to me and refer to me as a double ace if I asked you to??
-or-
wouldn't you think that would be a little asshole-ish of me, to call myself a double ace, and then proceed to punch me in the face?

Again my whole family serves/served as combat troops.. My thoughts are their thoughts here. I have a cousin who is a captain in the 101st. He flew missions as a black hawk pilot. Another who is a marine sniper (currently deployed) The Uncle who fought in Vietnam as a RIO on the F-4, A cousin who is a colonel in the Army Rangers, was deployed in 03 as apart of the primary invasion of Iraq. Both grand fathers fought in WWII one as a 1st lieutenant in a forward Air base in the Pacific, and the other for the Japaneese army, another as an Air force gunner in Korea, and a Korean uncle who fought with the Navy durning that same period. And I have lost family several members, and have family deployed in service of this country in 'other' ways as well. (None of which are on the table for discussion.)

It is for those who can not defend this honor as combat troops that I speak up, and take the flak of those who think themselves as deserving of the same honor as those who are in Harm's way... These men and women who serve in the direct line of fire not only stand between me and the bad guys, they also stand between the support troops and the bad guys. And for that, those of you who serve as support troops owe these men and women a little graditude.

Maybe I and those in my family who have fought for this country who think as I do are wrong. Eitherway I do not think it too much to ask that those of you who serve in a support role to pay those who are in Harm's way the honor of not posing as someone who spends his military career in Harm's way.

If you were indeed in Harms way during your deployment then you too should stand up and fight for this honor for being a combat troop, for it is yours to have. Not every man or woman who puts on a uniform, is a combat veteran. You earned that title, and therefore should have earned a little more respect from those who supported your efforts, along with everyone else. don't let some pretender take it, if not for you for everyone who has served in your position and died doing the job you do/did.

(August 28, 2013 at 11:50 am)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: I'd like Dirch to admit that his "There are no atheists in foxholes" statement was incorrect. Then we can all go about our day.

I will admit the only one who can know is the 'atheist' himself.
Even more interesting though....How many different Gods have been prayed to simultaneously from both sides of the fight, and how they all seem to be killed evenly, and without predjudice, well, almost no prejudice. Seems they're all praying to the wrong God. Perhaps the only time God actually killed people in Fox holes is when people prayed to the wrong one and Fox Holes are one of the ways this God kills the ones that piss him off. If this was true, this God would not subject Atheists to Fox Holes, and there would be no Atheists in Fox Holes. Thinking
(August 28, 2013 at 12:11 pm)Texas Sailor Wrote: The expression "No Atheists in Foxholes" refers to the moment somebody thinks they're gonna die, whether they believed in a God or not, they adopt a God and start praying! It's kinda like saying, "Atheists may go in to Fox Holes, but the moment the shit hits the fan, they don't stay Atheists long", There's obviously been no conclusive study or evidence to support such a thing, it's just a funny anecdote that he probably heard at church or something.

Drich may have even meant it that way from the beginning. But now, he's defending a new contention all together, which is:

Atheists don't go in to Fox holes at all, and anybody that doesn't go in to Fox Holes is a pussy!

Good luck Drich!
No. That is the straw man you all have created to try and win this argument. I have made my thought extremely clear. If your not honest enough to address what I have said, and decide to concoct your own version of what I said then know it speaks against your character.
(August 28, 2013 at 12:40 pm)Drich Wrote: I will admit the only one who can know is the 'atheist' himself.

And since my atheist fiancee has told you point blank that the time she was hospitalized unto the point of death was the experience that solidified her nascent atheism, should you not therefore admit that you were wrong?

Really, I just want to be party to that incredibly rare event: a christian apologist admitting an error.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(August 28, 2013 at 12:45 pm)Drich Wrote:
(August 28, 2013 at 12:11 pm)Texas Sailor Wrote: The expression "No Atheists in Foxholes" refers to the moment somebody thinks they're gonna die, whether they believed in a God or not, they adopt a God and start praying! It's kinda like saying, "Atheists may go in to Fox Holes, but the moment the shit hits the fan, they don't stay Atheists long", There's obviously been no conclusive study or evidence to support such a thing, it's just a funny anecdote that he probably heard at church or something.

Good luck Drich!
No. That is the straw man you all have created to try and win this argument. I have made my thought extremely clear. If your not honest enough to address what I have said, and decide to concoct your own version of what I said then know it speaks against your character.

Hey dude, I 'm giving you the benefit of the doubt because I didn't read your post, nor do I personally give a shit. If you say you meant it as a casual expression with intentions to get a chuckle, then fine! If the latter part of what I said is true, you can go fuck yourself.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1308 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Did Yahweh do us a favor by denying us eternal life? Greatest I am 30 2779 July 26, 2020 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4212 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Church update:children's church k2490 15 10676 June 26, 2013 at 7:59 am
Last Post: Rahul