Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 8:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internet Smackdown Aftermath
Internet Smackdown Aftermath
Every day, atheists from all walks of life are jumping on the internet to offer their two cents about their disbelief in god. The theists that we encounter are met with heavy opposition, which leads to intense frustration on their part. Most of the time, we atheists do not see what occurs to them backstage; the fallout from the attacks on their faith is only rarely seen in full strength.

Everything is not well on the home front; hurt feelings are not left behind on the pages of the world wide web. If you have ever encountered an angry theist suffering from an internet atheist's boot up their ass, then please tell your story here.

Last night at about 10:30 PM I got a buzz on Facebook Messenger from an old friend who used to be in the Air Force with me. We'll call him Fred. I know this man to be devoutly religious, and, because of this, I always tried to avoid talking about god with him. The most he knew about me was that I'm an ex-Mormon. For some reason though, he felt he needed someone to rant to about all those damn atheists on the internet!

Fred: GAH!!!! I'M SO ANGRY RIGHT NOW!!!!
i apologize for all caps'ing you
Me: ?
Fred: super tired of internet atheists
super tired
Me: Then stop being a theist Tongue
Fred: I'd still be annoyed with them
unsolicited christian bashing is just so prevalent online right now... they're like real life door to door evangelicals
Me: What are they doing, asking for evidence for a god?
Fred: no mostly i'm just tired of the constant
"HAHA that guy believes in god, how stupid"
and then when someone asks a legitimate question, you get nailed to the wall for the things the church did in the past
and everyone feels the need to break down every inconsistency in the bible, even when you've already stated that... your beliefs are based on how you feel and not a word for word following of what's written therein
and instead of being like, this is what i think
they say shit like, well let me break it down for you like a pre-schooler
and it's always only christians, i'm just tired of it... all the places i go online to like hang out and just chill are being over run with it
Me: Atheists rule the Internet.
Fred: and they act in the exact same manner that they claim to hate from meatspace
and i mean it's not universal
i have plenty of atheist friends who are chill as hell
we agree to disagree
but the last several months has just seen a bevy of like, hostile, aggresive douche fuck atheists
Me: I'm sorry you feel attacked. Realize though that whenever you tell somebody that you think something is true, there's going to be someone else that's going to put that idea on trial.
Fred: it that doesn't bother me
it's the mocking and smarter than though
Me: If you need to rant some more, leave all the messages you need, but I won't be able to chat really until probably tomorrow.
Fred: that's what gets to me
no worries
i'm calming down
how's things? good?

I also wanted to add, that he bit at the atheists with his question, and they apparently chomped back. I especially liked how he didn't ask how I was doing until well into his rant. The best part of it all is that he doesn't realize that I'm one of those very atheists that he hates so much right now.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
RE: Internet Smackdown Aftermath
I wonder what he was asking
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
The lesson here is if your ideas are shit, don't air them publicly. Don't like being told you're stupid? Quit using your beliefs as a rationale to shame and criminalize others.

I do pity 'Fred', though...Air Force. Pfft. :p
It's like door to door evangelicals, except that it's actually people posting on the internet, where you voluntarily go and read their opinions. I always find it funny how people act as though they can't help but read opinions that they don't like and know will make them angry. Although someone is just forcing it on them.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
'Internet Smackdown Aftermath' would be a great name for a band.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
He's right. I don't see it as much here as I would on YouTube or Yahoo Answers but I can't help but notice an air of douchebaggery from some internet atheists.
(September 15, 2013 at 3:22 pm)plaincents822 Wrote: He's right. I don't see it as much here as I would on YouTube or Yahoo Answers but I can't help but notice an air of douchebaggery from some internet atheists.

The internet brings out the douchebaggery in lots of people, some of them happen to be atheists.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(September 15, 2013 at 4:24 pm)Faith No More Wrote:
(September 15, 2013 at 3:22 pm)plaincents822 Wrote: He's right. I don't see it as much here as I would on YouTube or Yahoo Answers but I can't help but notice an air of douchebaggery from some internet atheists.

The internet brings out the douchebaggery in lots of people, some of them happen to be atheists.

True dat. But that's kinda my point. I'm not trying to self hate on atheists, but we are obviously not immune to the asshole-ishness that the internet infects people with. Just saying I've seen my fair share of rabid atheists on the webs and it ain't pretty.

On a slightly related note, Yahoo Answers and Youtube comments have the stupidest people on the planet on them.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(September 15, 2013 at 2:50 pm)Captain Colostomy Wrote: ...Air Force. Pfft. :p

I don't mind my "Chair Force". Wink
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Internet is my refuge as an atheist Der/die AtheistIn 16 3462 November 21, 2017 at 6:29 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Atheism, Darwin, and Internet Severan 12 3075 November 5, 2013 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  The internet: A place Religion comes to die Gooders1002 15 6024 April 3, 2012 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: Minimalist