Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The internet: A place Religion comes to die
The internet: A place Religion comes to die
Would you Agree or disagree that the internet has been a big help in the decline of religion and the rise of free-thought and atheism and a place were religion has come to die.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: The internet: A place Religion comes to die
Do we have any stats to support this or are we just flexing neurons to develop a hypothesis?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(April 1, 2012 at 10:41 pm)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Do we have any stats to support this or are we just flexing neurons to develop a hypothesis?

More opinion and a hypothesis.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
Opinion?
Yeah it would seem like the more people who get on the Net, the more you find (thanks to anonymity) atheistic views being expressed and lay person research into what science has to offer and is currently looking into.

Hypothesis?
That the Internet is a 'place' that will erode the sense of community that religion has traditionally supplied to people and so by extension erode religion over time.

I think there are studies being conducted now to answer this...You'll have to GFGI.

my2c
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
The Internet is also a valuable resource for people like me who live in a strongly religious rural area. Atheism is a taboo subject here. If it weren't for the materials I have found online, I would hardly know anything about atheists, much less be one! Thanks, Internet!
I have learned a lot in twelve years online that I would have never been able to learn otherwise. And I wouldn't have been quite so ugly to a religious nut in person, as I have been today, maybe. Angel
But my religion was circling the toilet before I knew there was an internet.
I could not point to any hard data but one of the problems in a printed environment is that there is an element of control when books are involved. Libraries have directors who decide which books will be carried. Professional journals have committees which determined which articles got published. Publishers determined which books were likely to sell and which were not.

The internet has offered other avenues for writers....which is both good and bad but it is far more democratic than the other system. Moreover, even with the best of intentions it is almost impossible for one library to carry EVERYTHING which means learning is still hit or miss. The internet gives ways around that and makes more information available.

I was 20 before I found tangible evidence that the jesus stories were bullshit but now I see kids showing up here at 14 and 15 who have already surpassed what I knew then.

Keep up the good work, young'uns. The future is yours.
I'm sure it probably works both ways. Those looking to question their faith will find what they need, but so will those looking to reinforce their faith.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Agree. The internet is a vehicle that spreads knowledge and fosters enquiry. These things are the enemy of religion . . .simple !!

Regards

Grimesy
Hey Grimesy, I could be wrong but I think you never did post about your last day on that course? I enjoyed reading it.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where do we go when we die and are you afraid? Shazzalovesnovels 271 21213 August 6, 2020 at 8:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4193 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Nature comes first Rahn127 69 7276 February 19, 2019 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 3947 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4465 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The Internet is my refuge as an atheist Der/die AtheistIn 16 3352 November 21, 2017 at 6:29 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Believers, put yourself in my place. Gawdzilla Sama 102 12873 November 23, 2016 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Wish this nutjob would hurry up and die. Spooky 30 5954 August 11, 2015 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  Does Religion Have A Place in the World? InsomniacMike486 23 5719 July 31, 2015 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Ultimate purpose without religion... "If I Die on Mars" Mudhammam 0 967 February 12, 2015 at 11:35 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam