Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 18, 2024, 8:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the so fallible Bible
RE: the so fallible Bible
Quote:You continue to miss the point and instead retort with irrelevancies.

Well...he is a xtian...or what passes for one in this day and age. Missing the point comes with the territory.
(October 8, 2013 at 2:04 pm)John V Wrote: BLAH BLAH BLAH about feeding people.

Hey "christian", what about the mega-churches
and their highly paid pastoral staff? Or what about
the Vatican's gold and gems in a palace while
poverty looms outside the doors? Aren't you
the same "christian" who called me an asshole
for my thread about the abusiveness of your
christian theology? Yes, that was you. You asked
me if I'd feed the homeless man for 10 years
without compulsion - FUCK NO! Let him get a job.
Here's an odd one for you...
Ever since I've been an atheist my....

*Love for others has grown (religious cunts excluded).

*Benevolence has magnified.

*Judgment of gays is GONE.

*Appreciation for life has increased.

*Attitude regarding religion has become lucid.

@John V, I'm kinda poor... Please sell all you have
and give it to me. Where's your faith brother?
(October 8, 2013 at 1:06 pm)John V Wrote:
(October 8, 2013 at 12:47 pm)Brakeman Wrote: Sure, as soon as us atheists acquire a magical god/man that commands us to give away everything to the poor according to anonymous authors of books of untraceable lineage, we'll be hypocrites if we claim to follow his directives, but actually don't.
No, as soon as you judge another and do the same yourself, you're a hypocrite.

(October 8, 2013 at 1:00 pm)victor4128 Wrote: OBJECTION!!! We dont have the power to end suffering.
You have the power to reduce it.
Quote:However your god that you believe in does and choses not to.one other thing Ending suffering would be no skin off gods bones,selling everything we owned would greatly impact us
Ah, so you care deeply about the suffering of others...unless you'd have to give up some pleasures to reduce it. Gotcha!

(October 8, 2013 at 1:03 pm)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: It just doesn't make sense.

'Give to the poor' is a mantra that means very little if we're talking in purely fiscal terms, here.

It's about advancement, socially, economically, politically, even culturally. It's about teaching longevity in production, and ensuring we advance to a position of a decent standard of living for all and not just a few.

All you get if you give all your money and possessions to a poor person (relative to you) is two more poor people. Yourself, who has just given up everything, and the person you've given it to, who will be unlikely to either keep it or make it last.

It doesn't make sense. Saying 'just give to the poor' is a good statement only prima facie. Beneath the service it's just a feel good statement that actually causes more harm than good when the logistics of such an action are examined at minimal depth.
Sure, you need to have food and shelter for yourself, and you may need to keep a car and a certain level of clothing in order to earn the most and be able to reduce the most suffering.

Your an asshole because your dancing around the fact that your god choses not to do anything when it wouldn't cost him NOTHING to end it.I don't have the ability to reduce suffering because can barely get by on what little i have.Besides iam not a Divine being who supposdly created everything, so it actually isnt ur responsiblity to save everyone.
ALL PRAISE THE ONE TRUE GOD ZALGO

And just how did the hypocrite thing get turned around on us atheists? We're not the ones going on TV begging for money to help the poor while flying around in luxury private jets. We're not the ones living in mansions preaching the prosperity gospel and cutting social programs which help the poor & needy while claiming to be fine upstanding Christians. When assholes like Pat Robertson sell everything they have and give that money to the poor, then live on about $40,000 a month like my wife & I do, then they'll get respect from me.

This is why Christians who do nothing to help the poor are hypocrites. They claim to follow Jesus who was VERY adamant about helping the less fortunate but often don't lift a finger to actually help out someone who needs it. I don't have such a doctrine which compels me to help others except for secular humanism, but it doesn't say to sell everything I have to give to the poor. It just says help out and do what you can. Which I've done and continue to do as much as I can.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Quote:And just how did the hypocrite thing get turned around on us atheists?

It starts because xtians are full of shit....and never change. They think they are so fucking holy and they do not act like their supposed god told them to.

Why do you think I despise them so much? There is no religion with a bigger chasm between how they act and what they claim to "believe."
John V cracks jokes about people's income level when I'm sure he has no basis to do so. He's not a Christian. He's a fraud, not unlike his cult that he's a part of.
(October 8, 2013 at 9:06 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: And just how did the hypocrite thing get turned around on us atheists? We're not the ones going on TV begging for money to help the poor while flying around in luxury private jets. We're not the ones living in mansions preaching the prosperity gospel and cutting social programs which help the poor & needy while claiming to be fine upstanding Christians. When assholes like Pat Robertson sell everything they have and give that money to the poor, then live on about $40,000 a month like my wife & I do, then they'll get respect from me.

I could live rather nicely on $40,000 a month. Thinking
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(October 8, 2013 at 2:34 pm)Drich Wrote: Evil by who's standard?

By everybody's. Including his own.

Quote:Exactly! and because of this war crime it is possiable to deem God a war criminal, and if God is a war criminal then he is not worthy of being God correct?

He is not worthy to judge anybody else's actions. Whether a being is worthy of godhood has to do with certain qualifications such as ability, and the complete lack of evidence for a god on this score is another argument altogether.

Quote:Or can their be circumstances that would warrant the death of an entire people?

No.

Well, you certainly seem to think so, so of course you're going to provide examples straight out of the Bible, since there are plenty. Right?

Quote:What if a people brought a plague into being that wiped out all life? or was responsiable for destroying the line of Christ that would deny the salvation of man?

Or maybe you'll just invent scenarios that never occurred in the Bible nor are related to anything in it, to justify what it does say happened.

Quote:No they were kept to supply Israel with breeding stock.

Well, that makes up for everything.

Quote:why is there a difference? Because only an omniscient God can discern who/which people would contribute to how He wanted the course of History to unfold and who could potentialy bring the world to a premature end. a 'general' could not do this.

So, what you're admitting is that God enjoys death and misery and has intentionally set human history on a path which delivers a virtually endless supply of both. Thanks.

Quote:Who do you think Hitler got his inspiration from with the Jews?

Christianity, obviously.

Quote:God is simply presented. The title of blood thirsty was awarded by you when you choose to adopt the morality of your society over your God.

He is not simply presented. He is presented with obviously favorable and completely unjustifiable bias in the Bible from start to finish.
Quote:God is simply presented.

God is presented to the simple.
I never understood why an atheist gets all self-righteous and morally superior about genocide in the bible.
Is such a person totally opposed to genocide in all cases? Is it just the biologically human 'genos' or are animals different? (Not special like we are.)

What about the pathogen that everyone else wants to wipe off the face of the Earth? What type of genocide is that?

If there was a country inhabited entirely by a people (or a species) that wanted to wipe out some other entire country at all costs - kill or be killed, fight till the very last man standing - would we leave them to their own devices?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 45120 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7546 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky