Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 9:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strong Atheism starts from faith
RE: Strong Atheism starts from faith
Leo, correct me if I'm wrong but....

The fact that so far the sun always HAS came up, being 'good reasons' as you say, being indication that it is continuing to do so - that it is more probable to do so tomorrow than not for instance - IS evidence. Is that not what evidence is?

EvF
I moved the post. But is it?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I wondered where it went after I posted lol.

Well,

1. Do you consider it more probable that the sun will rise tomorrow than not?

2. If you do, do you believe this because of 'reasons' or 'reasoning'?

3. If so, how is that not the definition of evidence? Something that indicates?

If you believe you have valid reasons for believing then how is that not evidence? Is that not what evidence is by definition?

EvF
other thread EV.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I'm lost as to what thread we're switching with, but is that evidence?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
I thought I was describing a dictionary's definition?

The other thread that this matter to be discussed at, is called "Adrian and I disagree on faith" and it's in the philosophy forum.

EvF
Unless the atheist actually tested these scientific facts him/herself to make sure they are indeed factual, I would think that there has to be some small amount of faith from the atheist to put all trust in another scientist's work.

Take for example when we as the consumers willingly consume drugs that the pharmaceutical companies put out. We are putting our trust into their hands. We claim that everything they do is based on scientific study which produces factual results. But we ourselves, don't really know just how much of their work is legit until months later when the side effects aren't so rosy. The only factual thing about their research is that it yielded some negative effects. Maybe even too dangerous for human consumption.
(February 8, 2010 at 6:32 am)starbucks Wrote: Unless the atheist actually tested these scientific facts him/herself to make sure they are indeed factual, I would think that there has to be some small amount of faith from the atheist to put all trust in another scientist's work.

Take for example when we as the consumers willingly consume drugs that the pharmaceutical companies put out. We are putting our trust into their hands. We claim that everything they do is based on scientific study which produces factual results. But we ourselves, don't really know just how much of their work is legit until months later when the side effects aren't so rosy. The only factual thing about their research is that it yielded some negative effects. Maybe even too dangerous for human consumption.

When you turn on the light, you do not 'believe' in the act of the light bulb lighting - and if it does not light, it is not a paradigm shattering event. You have a rational expectation based on previous experiences backed up by your understanding, however flawed, of the situation.

For the same reasons, one consumes drugs prescribed by a physician with the expectation that the drug is tested by the FDA to be safe for humans, the physician knows what s/he is doing, etc,. That is the nature of informed consent and all other informed decisions. And there is capacity for error and unforeseen circumstances built into the system as you are, by the nature of the situation, making probabilistic decisions anyways.

Stop equivocating faith in the unproven and unverifiable with rational expectations that can be verified and proven under contextually related conditions.
An atheist doesn't even have to believe ANYTHING scientific at all - whether that's possible or not - to reject the God belief. Disbelief in God is just a matter of being unconvinced...... you don't have to know any science at all for that. Disbelief has got nothing to do with science per se. Disbelief has everything to do with simply not believing.

EvF
Isn't that what faith is? To place trust and confidence in a person based on some form of evidence that the person is competent? But still, we can't know with absolute certainty that they won't mess up. We need only enough evidence to win our trust.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Faith Media: Global Christian Population to reach 3.3 BN by 2050. Nishant Xavier 270 14325 September 30, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1524 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Question about "faith" rockyrockford 428 36419 December 22, 2020 at 9:50 am
Last Post: Apollo
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 3058 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27854 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why Science and religious faith are in conflict. Jehanne 28 7966 May 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  My atheism religious faith is being shaken... Won2blv 37 9022 November 14, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Thoughts On Atheism and Faith ray3400 107 13211 October 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Atheism "now world's third biggest 'faith'" madog 23 4820 July 30, 2016 at 6:38 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  Something to shake the very foundation of your lack of faith yukapuka 306 40928 January 18, 2016 at 9:04 am
Last Post: account_inactive