Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Thoughts On Atheism and Faith
Thoughts On Atheism and Faith
So I will ask the atheist:
Have you formally disproved God?

And the atheist says to me:
No, that's incredibly difficult, and perhaps even impossible.

I reply:
Does the difficulty of the process exempt you from having the disprove something to call it disproved?
Is something that is impossible to disprove automatically assumed to be false in every case?

The atheist:
No.

I reply:
You have not logically or factually disproved God.
Not all things that are impossible to disprove are assumed to be false.

Therefore, it takes faith to believe the assertion "God does not exist".

The atheist:
Can you formally prove God does exist?

I reply:
As far as I know there is not a mathematical proof of God, the theists require faith as well.

And so:
The christians, in their faith, proclaim "God is real".
The atheists, in their faith, proclaim "God is fake".
RE: Thoughts On Atheism and Faith
Before we address the question whether it can be disproven and whether anyone actually claims that it is, can you properly define what "God" is?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(October 7, 2016 at 2:37 am)ray3400 Wrote: So I will ask the atheist:

I reply:
Does the difficulty of the process exempt you from having the disprove something to call it disproved?
Is something that is impossible to disprove automatically assumed to be false in every case?

The atheist:
No.

I reply:

The atheist:

I reply:
As far as I know there is not a mathematical proof of God, the theists require faith as well.

And so:

You must have faith that the tooth fairy or santa claus don't exist huh?

No, its called the burden of proof. It is up for those that claim something to exist to show others said thing exist.

Good try on the old "atjeists have faith too" canard. You guys never bring something new to the table, like, Evidence for your god claims. Heck, you cant even properly define what a god is.
(October 7, 2016 at 2:44 am)Alex K Wrote: Before we address the question whether it can be disproven and whether anyone actually claims that it is, can you properly define what "God" is?

"Before we address the question whether it can be disproven and whether anyone actually claims that it is"

Don't atheist claim that God does not exist?

If they do claim this, is their belief absolute or is there a degree of uncertainty?

Would a mix of 99.99999% certainty and 0.00001% uncertainty make an authentic atheist, or does an atheist need to believe with 100% certainty that there is no God?

If there is a threshold of uncertainty allowed for atheists, could you assign it a number? I would assume any amount of uncertainty move the person into the category of agnostic.

The only way to assert with absolute certainty that there is no God is to formally disprove God. Atheists have yet to do this, not to my knowledge anyways.

"can you properly define what "God" is"
For the purposes of this discussion, I will define God as: "The creator of the universe, a spiritual being that is omnipresent, omnipotent, and omniscient. The source of absolute morality and absolute truth."
That wich is Asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

It doesn't require faith. Faith is believing something without evidence. Disbelief requires therefore no faith. Pretty easy.
(October 7, 2016 at 2:50 am)LastPoet Wrote:
(October 7, 2016 at 2:37 am)ray3400 Wrote: So I will ask the atheist:

I reply:

The atheist:
No.

I reply:

The atheist:

I reply:

And so:

You must have faith that the tooth fairy or santa claus don't exist huh?

No, its called the burden of proof. It is up for those that claim something to exist to show others said thing exist.

Good try on the old "atjeists have faith too" canard. You guys never bring something new to the table, like, Evidence for your god claims. Heck, you cant even properly define what a god is.

Most of this is ad hominems, but I will respond to the one rebuttal you made:

"No, its called the burden of proof. It is up for those that claim something to exist to show others said thing exist."

The idea of a "burden of proof" is a matter of preference.
Just because one is not able to prove something, does not necessarily mean it isn't true.

The one who says "God does not exist" is presenting an assertion that can either be true of false. Therefore, for that statement to be accepted as true, it must be proven to be true, or the opposite of the statement can be proven to be false, or proof by contradiction.

(October 7, 2016 at 3:17 am)LastPoet Wrote: That wich is Asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

It doesn't require faith. Faith is believing something without evidence. Disbelief requires therefore no faith. Pretty easy.

"That wich is Asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

The idea of a "burden of proof" is a matter of preference.
Just because one is not able to prove something, does not necessarily mean it isn't true.

"It doesn't require faith. Faith is believing something without evidence. Disbelief requires therefore no faith. Pretty easy."
I would say you do believe in something, you believe "There is no God".
I am proposing that the only way to be 100% certain of this assertion is to formally disprove God. Do you have a formal disproof of God?
Hello. I don't care whether there is a "God". Why should I?

You're wrong, by the way. Disbelief does not equal belief to the contrary. I explain in this video below.

https://youtu.be/d34BmGnrUEI
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(October 7, 2016 at 3:38 am)robvalue Wrote: Hello. I don't care whether there is a "God". Why should I?

You're wrong, by the way. Disbelief does not equal belief to the contrary. I explain in this video below.

https://youtu.be/d34BmGnrUEI

"Disbelief does not equal belief to the contrary."

What is it that you disbelieve?
God exists.

What is the contrary to the statement "God exists."
God does not exist.

Are you proposing that you do not believe the statement "God does not exist."?
Yes, I don't believe that statement, if God is defined as "an intelligent creator". I disbelieve both the claim and the contrary claim. I am undecided. It's not required to make a firm decision one way or the other. Do you believe Gongrin is the most powerful goblin in my new card game? If not, does that you mean believe he isn't? I hope you watched the video because I covered this in detail.

Why should I care? You missed that part.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
From my website:

(Long)

Quote:There's actually three distinct positions, two of which are atheism. These are sometimes called weak and strong atheism. (Strong atheism sometimes gets used to mean gnostic atheism too.) For more discussion on the meaning of agnostic and gnostic, please see here. Notice that there are actually two different questions that can be asked:

Question 1: Do you have an active belief there are one or more gods?
Question 2: Do you have an active belief there are no gods?

Position 1: Y, N: Theist (could be agnostic or gnostic)
Position 2: N, N: Weak atheist (agnostic) - since this position makes no claims of belief, it cannot claim to "know for sure"!
Position 3: N, Y: Strong atheist (could be agnostic or gnostic)

Everyone is in one of those 3 positions by definition. People who say they are "just agnostic" are almost certainly in position 2. So essentially they are agnostic atheists but prefer to drop the "atheist" part. This may be because of the stigma attached to the word, or it may be because they are using different definitions for words. By the definitions I use here, agnostic is not a middle ground between theism and atheism.

Position 2 is the default position. It is undecided.

http://robvalue.wixsite.com/atheism/what-is-atheism

Index of my best videos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Faith Media: Global Christian Population to reach 3.3 BN by 2050. Nishant Xavier 270 12622 September 30, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2717 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1444 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Question about "faith" rockyrockford 428 33671 December 22, 2020 at 9:50 am
Last Post: Apollo
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2774 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Your thoughts on John Gray? Foxaèr 12 3169 May 14, 2018 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What are your thoughts on Richard Dawkins? NuclearEnergy 96 12953 December 6, 2017 at 3:06 am
Last Post: Bow Before Zeus
  Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics? NuclearEnergy 116 26975 November 30, 2017 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27084 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why Science and religious faith are in conflict. Jehanne 28 7816 May 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13