Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
My atheism religious faith is being shaken...
My atheism religious faith is being shaken...
JK guys, jk...

I just need help thinking through this latest issue going through my head. I'd appreciate all thoughts but if your response is, "you were just indoctrinated" please know that I already have been considering that...

I'm fucking pissed about Trump winning yesterday. I do not get how stupid the media was reporting the polling and basically missing Trump by a mile. I can't believe that the FBI released such a stupid letter that definitely assisted Trump. I can't believe that this human blow horn of shit was able to lie, demagogue, and abuse with his vulgar speech and then avoids shitting on the floor for 1 week before the election and he wins! I want to be clear, this wasn't just me hating Trump. I am enrolling into a state college and Hillary had a plan that would make it debt free for me. I have a homeless meth addicted brother with severe mental illness and Hillary had a plan to combat that. And I could go on.

Then I remember this prophecy in Daniel chapter 2. Nebuchadnezzar has a dream of an immense statue that is layered with different materials. Daniel interprets the dream to represent the kingdoms of the world that would stand in opposition to Jehovah. At the bottom is feet that are representing the final kingdom. The feet are a mixture of iron and clay. The iron represented the strength of the kingdom and the clay would represent the people, some footnotes further saying "the common people."

After 8 years of the economy being turned from 850k jobs lost a month to millions of added and a deficit cut in half, the nation had the choice of a safe 4 more years of that, or a fucking lunatic. And because Americans are the most conspiratorial citizens of a wealthy nation, they believed his brainwashing garbage. Donald's tax plan will add 10 trillion to the debt, his trade wars will cause a depression, and after the GOP repeals Obamacare an 8 year old with leukemia can get declined for insurance.

And this guys basic argument for why he is qualified is his business success? But for some reason he wouldn't release his tax returns? And the only tax return we did see showed him being for from a billionaire, maybe a negative billionaire ?

The only explanation is the common people were given more power than they could be trusted with. This election could literally shatter the United States position in the world power structure. That prophecy says that in the end the kingdom will be shattered by the kingdom of god. So, Am I just crazy for this issue? I just can't believe how closely that prophecy represents what democracy has turned into. Especially since when it was written, the writer could have no idea of a world where the common people could be expected to wield power of any kind.

Thanks for reading

TL;DR

There is a prophecy in Daniel chapter 2 and part of it is speaking of a kingdom that was represented by iron mixed with clay. And the scripture says that it was strength mixed with the common people. Is this nothing other than indoctrination nagging at me? Am I crazy to think that Donald Trump is going destroy Americas economy and place in the worlds power structure? And he only could have been elected by a majority of non-informed common people.
RE: My atheism religious faith is being shaken...
I agree it is mind melting how we could get to the point where someone like Trump could be voted in; although I hear he didn't actually get the most votes. The stupid (in my opinion) voting system means that you can win while having less votes.

I don't understand what this has to do with the bible, or what point you're getting at there. If you're suggesting the book has the ability to predict the future then I'd say you're mistaken. Sure, you will be able to find similarities between real life and stories if you look hard enough. But even if they are very similar, I'm not sure what we're supposed to take away from that. There's no reason to think any further predictions written in the book will also come true.

I do agree that balancing how much power the individual has against protecting them from their own ignorance is a very tricky one. I don't think the public should have been given a vote on brexit, for example. When it comes to electing officials you have to give people some measure of control at some point, or else you enter a dictatorship. How there aren't protocols to stop people like Trump even becoming candidates, I don't know. Our political system in England is shit, but at least someone like Trump would never be considered even for a second.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Its was suicidal for Hillary to suggest a confrontation with one of the strongest militaries to punish them for mistakes US is guilty itself. Trump was smart enough to offer jobs and peace.
(November 10, 2016 at 2:34 am)Won2blv Wrote: JK guys, jk...

I just need help thinking through this latest issue going through my head. I'd appreciate all thoughts but if your response is, "you were just indoctrinated" please know that I already have been considering that...

I'm fucking pissed about Trump winning yesterday. I do not get how stupid the media was reporting the polling and basically missing Trump by a mile. I can't believe that the FBI released such a stupid letter that definitely assisted Trump. I can't believe that this human blow horn of shit was able to lie, demagogue, and abuse with his vulgar speech and then avoids shitting on the floor for 1 week before the election and he wins! I want to be clear, this wasn't just me hating Trump. I am enrolling into a state college and Hillary had a plan that would make it debt free for me. I have a homeless meth addicted brother with severe mental illness and Hillary had a plan to combat that. And I could go on.

Then I remember this prophecy in Daniel chapter 2. Nebuchadnezzar has a dream of an immense statue that is layered with different materials. Daniel interprets the dream to represent the kingdoms of the world that would stand in opposition to Jehovah. At the bottom is feet that are representing the final kingdom. The feet are a mixture of iron and clay. The iron represented the strength of the kingdom and the clay would represent the people, some footnotes further saying "the common people."

After 8 years of the economy being turned from 850k jobs lost a month to millions of added and a deficit cut in half, the nation had the choice of a safe 4 more years of that, or a fucking lunatic. And because Americans are the most conspiratorial citizens of a wealthy nation, they believed his brainwashing garbage. Donald's tax plan will add 10 trillion to the debt, his trade wars will cause a depression, and after the GOP repeals Obamacare an 8 year old with leukemia can get declined for insurance.

And this guys basic argument for why he is qualified is his business success? But for some reason he wouldn't release his tax returns? And the only tax return we did see showed him being for from a billionaire, maybe a negative billionaire ?

The only explanation is the common people were given more power than they could be trusted with. This election could literally shatter the United States position in the world power structure. That prophecy says that in the end the kingdom will be shattered by the kingdom of god. So, Am I just crazy for this issue? I just can't believe how closely that prophecy represents what democracy has turned into. Especially since when it was written, the writer could have no idea of a world where the common people could be expected to wield power of any kind.

Thanks for reading

TL;DR

There is a prophecy in Daniel chapter 2 and part of it is speaking of a kingdom that was represented  by iron mixed with clay. And the scripture says that it was strength mixed with the common people. Is this nothing other than indoctrination nagging at me? Am I crazy to think that Donald Trump is going destroy Americas economy and place in the worlds power structure? And he only could have been elected by a majority of non-informed common people.

That same bible bullshit story was brought back to life after Brexit also.
I don't think you need a Biblical prophecy to suggest Trump is going to fuck up the United States. I think you can just say it and people would agree.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(November 10, 2016 at 4:34 am)robvalue Wrote: I agree it is mind melting how we could get to the point where someone like Trump could be voted in; although I hear he didn't actually get the most votes. The stupid (in my opinion) voting system means that you can win while having less votes.

I don't understand what this has to do with the bible, or what point you're getting at there. If you're suggesting the book has the ability to predict the future then I'd say you're mistaken. Sure, you will be able to find similarities between real life and stories if you look hard enough. But even if they are very similar, I'm not sure what we're supposed to take away from that. There's no reason to think any further predictions written in the book will also come true.

I do agree that balancing how much power the individual has against protecting them from their own ignorance is a very tricky one. I don't think the public should have been given a vote on brexit, for example. When it comes to electing officials you have to give people some measure of control at some point, or else you enter a dictatorship. How there aren't protocols to stop people like Trump even becoming candidates, I don't know. Our political system in England is shit, but at least someone like Trump would never be considered even for a second.

I see what you're saying. I guess its just the fact that the interpretation of the prophecy was made clear by the writer of Daniel. He says specifically that the clay represents the common people mixed with iron and that is what makes it weak. We live in unprecedented times where people don't read but they react. Especially so in America.

And be careful what you say. EVERYBODY said that Trump was a joke candidate and NO ONE thought he could win the Republican nomination let alone the presidency. I'll admit that you brits are smart but you still have the lods of emone class
There seem to be a lot of different opinions on what that particular prophecy means. Since it has so many possible interpretations, it's a perennial candidate for whatever is going on right now that we don't like.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Another after the fact interpretation of 'prophecy' is, no disrespect intended, but ludicrous.

A real prophecy is of the form:

In 2024 Chelsea Clinton will run for president with Zachary Quinto as Veep.

Not:

through swirling mists an echo of travail surrounds the legend of doom
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(November 10, 2016 at 1:33 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: There seem to be a lot of different opinions on what that particular prophecy means. Since it has so many possible interpretations, it's a perennial candidate for whatever is going on right now that we don't like.

Sure but shit got real after Trump was elected. He literally could destroy America's leverage in the worlds economic and militarily. That could spell a huge disaster worldwide. Or of course, he could do decent job and not many things will change. But he has a GOP house and senate and he has a made a lot of promises that wreak havoc. Not to mention that he seems to have no grip on reality or how governing works
(November 10, 2016 at 1:42 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Another after the fact interpretation of 'prophecy' is, no disrespect intended, but ludicrous.

A real prophecy is of the form:

In 2024 Chelsea Clinton will run for president with Zachary Quinto as Veep.

Not:

through swirling mists an echo of travail surrounds the legend of doom

I know what you're saying. The reason why this one keeps lingering in my mind is that fact that the prophecy is specific to being applied to world powers. And at the bottom of the statue it says specifically that the iron mixed with clay represents the strength mixed with the common people which makes the power fragile.

JW's also have interpreted a prophecy in Revelation that the United Nations are going to ban religion, haha, I'm sure not many here would mind that one

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Faith Media: Global Christian Population to reach 3.3 BN by 2050. Nishant Xavier 270 11901 September 30, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1425 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Question about "faith" rockyrockford 428 32419 December 22, 2020 at 9:50 am
Last Post: Apollo
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2662 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3448 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 26877 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why Science and religious faith are in conflict. Jehanne 28 7702 May 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Thoughts On Atheism and Faith ray3400 107 12501 October 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Atheism "now world's third biggest 'faith'" madog 23 4576 July 30, 2016 at 6:38 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  Being a sinner just for being born mlmooney89 110 15219 June 14, 2016 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger