Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 22, 2024, 7:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can an Atheist know anything?
RE: Can an Atheist know anything?
Christians never fail to impress me with their utter lack of logic and ability to use non sequiters. Esquilax is right about axioms. Axioms must be self evident.

Note that the US constitution is wrong - it is NOT self evident that all men are created equal. It is nothing more than an opinion.
(December 23, 2013 at 3:53 am)là bạn điên Wrote: Christians never fail to impress me with their utter lack of logic and ability to use non sequiters. Esquilax is right about axioms. Axioms must be self evident.

That's not technically correct. I'd also dispute the validity of cogito ergo sum, but these are fine points. Insisting that axioms be self-evident would appear to be a form of foundationalism. There's nothing that requires an axiom to be self-evident, and many useful axioms aren't (this crops up a lot in mathematics).

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(December 23, 2013 at 4:02 am)rasetsu Wrote: That's not technically correct. I'd also dispute the validity of cogito ergo sum, but these are fine points. Insisting that axioms be self-evident would appear to be a form of foundationalism. There's nothing that requires an axiom to be self-evident, and many useful axioms aren't (this crops up a lot in mathematics).

Okay, I'm interested: how would you go about doing that?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(December 23, 2013 at 4:02 am)rasetsu Wrote:
(December 23, 2013 at 3:53 am)là bạn điên Wrote: Christians never fail to impress me with their utter lack of logic and ability to use non sequiters. Esquilax is right about axioms. Axioms must be self evident.

That's not technically correct. I'd also dispute the validity of cogito ergo sum, but these are fine points. Insisting that axioms be self-evident would appear to be a form of foundationalism. There's nothing that requires an axiom to be self-evident, and many useful axioms aren't (this crops up a lot in mathematics).

No, you are right, I only briefly looked at Philosophy of mathematics and remembering back maths does have non self evident axioms. However I am essentially a foundationalist ,though more of Goldman's reliablism. I have absolutely no time for Post Modernism/Rorty/Derrida etc.
Quote:Given that atheists don't believe in absolute truth.

Who sez?

Quote:Without absolute truth no one can discern a lie

Wrong. For example, it can be absolutely true that granite is harder than chalk. This doesn't prevent me from spotting the lie when my 5'8" neighbor insists that he is 11 feet tall.

Quote:Knowing something requires discerning truth from lies.

It requires nothing of the sort.

Quote:Atheists can't know anything.

Well, I as an atheist can know that one should never seek to establish a true conclusion from a false premise.

Boru

Quote:Note that the US constitution is wrong - it is NOT self evident that all men are created equal.

psst - that's the Declaration of Independence, not the US Constitution.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
Quote:psst - that's the Declaration of Independence, not the US Constitution.

Thank you for your correction
(December 23, 2013 at 4:32 am)Esquilax Wrote:
(December 23, 2013 at 4:02 am)rasetsu Wrote: That's not technically correct. I'd also dispute the validity of cogito ergo sum, but these are fine points. Insisting that axioms be self-evident would appear to be a form of foundationalism. There's nothing that requires an axiom to be self-evident, and many useful axioms aren't (this crops up a lot in mathematics).

Okay, I'm interested: how would you go about doing that?

Some other time.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(December 23, 2013 at 12:01 am)orangebox21 Wrote: Given that atheists don't believe in absolute truth.
Without absolute truth no one can discern a lie.
Knowing something requires discerning truth from lies.
Atheists can't know anything.

Discuss.

[Image: start-believing-in-troll-threads.jpg]
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Quote:Can an Atheist know anything?

What's the point of asking a bunch of atheists that?
They can't answer if they don't know anything.
That would be knowing something.
I think so anyway, but what would I know. Undecided
Your plastic pal who's fun to be with![Image: b7wAvWj.png]

(December 23, 2013 at 12:01 am)orangebox21 Wrote: Given that atheists don't believe in absolute truth.
Without absolute truth no one can discern a lie.
Knowing something requires discerning truth from lies.
Atheists can't know anything.

Discuss.

All atheists I know (I'm including myself) accept that there is an absolute truth. They maintain that science is beginning to understand this absolute truth. They merely do not claim to completely understand this absolute truth. I have never heard of anyone who completely rejects absolute truth. I think you are confusing divine truth with absolute truth.

You second proposition is complete bullshit. Even if we assume that nothing is objectively true (which would be ridiculous) we can still assume things to be relatively true.

No, because you can know something that is wrong if you truly believe it. Christians for example know that god is true.

Your last proposition is hilarious.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An atheist can blaspheme god Interaktive 8 1335 December 30, 2022 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Response to Darkmatter2525 ""Why Does Anything Matter?" Eik0932 23 3237 September 26, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Is anything sacred? (Extra credit for specifying what it is for you.) Whateverist 55 7816 November 17, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 10677 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Can you persuade me from Agnostic to Atheist? AgnosticMan123 160 29106 June 6, 2016 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: Adam Blackstar
  I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? athrock 287 48543 February 22, 2016 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  do you worry about if anything bad would happen if christianity died? Rextos 26 5591 February 13, 2016 at 3:05 am
Last Post: Ivan Denisovich
  Do atheists like Atheist Roo have anything useful to offer the Atheist community? IanHulett 21 7681 January 1, 2016 at 10:33 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  How can someone convert from Atheist to Religious Heat 65 12022 November 26, 2015 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  What is the point of anything? Nell 42 9381 February 13, 2015 at 12:31 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain