Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can an Atheist know anything?
Can an Atheist know anything?
Given that atheists don't believe in absolute truth.
Without absolute truth no one can discern a lie.
Knowing something requires discerning truth from lies.
Atheists can't know anything.

Discuss.

If it could be proven beyond doubt that God exists...
and that He is the one spoken of in the Bible...
would you repent of your sins and place your faith in Jesus Christ?

RE: Can an Atheist know anything?
Premise is invalid.
Everything else is trash.
Human knowledge does not rely upon upon having complete omniscience.
We know xtians are bullshit artists?

What else have you got?
(December 23, 2013 at 12:01 am)orangebox21 Wrote: Given that atheists don't believe in absolute truth.

Discuss.

Sentence one isn't necessarily true. Sentence two isn't true at all. Sentence three also isn't true, because you can seize upon a single true thing while being surrounded by lies that you haven't recognized as such. Sentence four therefore doesn't follow.

My discussion? You need to stop listening to presuppositionalists, because this is just pathetic.

Oh, and also? If your corollary assertion is, as it seems to be, that christians can know things, then if you follow your premises you must be claiming to have some form of absolute truth. How do you intend to demonstrate that this is so?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(December 23, 2013 at 12:01 am)orangebox21 Wrote: Given that atheists don't believe in absolute truth.

Discuss.

Striking originality and so convincing. [/sarcasm]

Discuss.

Given that theists believe in absolute truth.
With imaginary absolute truth one can discern imaginary lies.
Not Knowing anything doesn't require discerning truth from lies.
Theists know nothing.

Beat your head against the wall.
Find the cure for Fundementia!

Discuss.

[Image: cat-fail.jpg]

I think that atheists do believe in absolute truth, but just do not claim to know what it is. And even if they didn't believe in absolute truth, for argument's sake, then that doesn't mean that they "can't know anything" because to know something - like knowing what the name of this forum is, for example - doesn't necessarily require you (nor anyone else) to believe in absolute truth.

Put more simply, there is a difference between knowing/believing in "absolute truth" and knowing "facts." It's not logical to argue that either of them is necessary for the other to exist.
Orange also seems to be missing, in his mad rush to the bottom of the argument pile, the existence of axioms; things that must be true by definition. I know for absolutely certain that I exist, because if I didn't, I couldn't be having this experience typing this. I know for absolutely certain what my senses tell me, because... well, I can experience those directly.

Bit sad when his entire argument can be invalidated in two sentences. Rolleyes
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Yeah, I suppose Orangebox should have thought a little more outside his orange box. Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An atheist can blaspheme god Interaktive 8 1112 December 30, 2022 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Response to Darkmatter2525 ""Why Does Anything Matter?" Eik0932 23 2864 September 26, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Is anything sacred? (Extra credit for specifying what it is for you.) Whateverist 55 7145 November 17, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9682 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Can you persuade me from Agnostic to Atheist? AgnosticMan123 160 25403 June 6, 2016 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: Adam Blackstar
  I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? athrock 287 41425 February 22, 2016 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  do you worry about if anything bad would happen if christianity died? Rextos 26 5066 February 13, 2016 at 3:05 am
Last Post: Ivan Denisovich
  Do atheists like Atheist Roo have anything useful to offer the Atheist community? IanHulett 21 7308 January 1, 2016 at 10:33 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  How can someone convert from Atheist to Religious Heat 65 9522 November 26, 2015 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  What is the point of anything? Nell 42 8397 February 13, 2015 at 12:31 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain