Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God?
I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God?
Turns out it's pretty hard to believe in nothing when your psyche is wired for faith.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/postevery...age%2Fcard

After reading the article, my questions are:

Why on God's green earth is the human brain wired for faith when our development is the result of purely evolutionary processes with no supreme being involved at all?

Is it possible that God gave us brains that are pre-wired for receptivity to His existence to make it easier for us to believe in Him?
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God?
No.
Evolution has wired us strictly for survival and everything that entails.

Blame the cavemen, they started the woo...
The science came a million years later, once they evolved.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(February 4, 2016 at 10:10 pm)athrock Wrote: Is it possible that God gave us brains that are pre-wired for receptivity to His existence to make it easier for us to believe in Him?

Nature over the millions of years through evolution is what has equipped us with brains able to think sophisticated thoughts to the point that we anthropomorphize things around us and attribute the existence of nature to someone who resembles us in many ways but at level great enough to create such a big world.
Humans are supernatural by nature. When someone hears a rustling in the bushes, the one who runs away from it is more likely to survive than the one who investigates. Then the imagination kicks in, and the one who runs away starts talking about giblins or trolls or whatever. It's not about faith. it's about an overactive imagination.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

The author of that article doesn't even understand what atheism is (nor do you). Why should we accept her as any kind of authority (as you're presenting her)?

To answer your questions:
1. Our societies, not evolution, have embedded the god idea in our communal psyche.
2. Not bloody likely.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Who believes in 'nothing'? I certainly don't.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 4, 2016 at 10:10 pm)athrock Wrote: Turns out it's pretty hard to believe in nothing when your psyche is wired for faith.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/postevery...age%2Fcard

After reading the article, my questions are:

Why on God's green earth is the human brain wired for faith when our development is the result of purely evolutionary processes with no supreme being involved at all?

Is it possible that God gave us brains that are pre-wired for receptivity to His existence to make it easier for us to believe in Him?

We are not pre wired for faith in gods. We are pre wired for our brains to be susceptible to believing things on bad evidence and for bad reasons.

Our brains are not one thing. They are kludged together from several parts and systems left over from our ancient evolutionary past, with more recent parts stuck to the front, and not well wired to the rest. Faith based religious beliefs are a side effect of the way our brains are constructed, not the purpose of some god.

We evolved to survive on the African Savannah, where pattern recognition, induction, and inference were among our survival mechanism. These lead to seeing agency where there is none, seeing relations between actions/results where there aren't any, feeling like there is something communicating with us internally when it is just our own minds.

Is it possible a god gave us brains that are pre-wired for receptivity to his existence to make it easier for us to believe in Him? If you mean in the "well, nothing is impossible" way of being possible, I guess the answer would be yes.

But, before you can begin to speculate on whether our brains were pre wired to believe in gods, you have to demonstrate that at least one of them exists. Only then can we begin to speculate on the attributes of one of these gods. Including it's human brain tinkering abilities.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(February 4, 2016 at 10:31 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Who believes in 'nothing'? I certainly don't.

I just sort of read past that bit in the OP.

I believe in plenty. 

But the things I believe, are supported with evidence and reasoned argument. 

if someone is able to show me that I have a belief that is not supported by evidence, you know what I will do? Stop believing it.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(February 4, 2016 at 10:10 pm)athrock Wrote: Why on God's green earth is the human brain wired for faith when our development is the result of purely evolutionary processes with no supreme being involved at all?
Quote:According to Pascal Boyer of Washington University, research suggests that our brains are wired in a way that makes believing easy. In a 2008 essay for the journal Nature, Boyer wrote that several features of the human brain predispose us to religious belief.

Among the psychological tendencies at play that are complemented or satiated by religious beliefs are: an ability to relate to imaginary or unseen figures (imaginary friends, deceased relatives, etc.), a desire to avoid danger, and the uniquely human ability to be a part of and maintain massive social structures.

It doesn't say the brain is "wired for faith." It says that multiple cognitive tendencies are satiated by religious belief. Why is this? Likely because these cognitive faculties are very general and powerful, such that when they are misapplied to religious beliefs, they're also strongly sated. That doesn't mean they were wired for faith, only that we are wired in a way which makes faith possible. This goes back to our being a highly social species. We've evolved multiple cognitive abilities that make dealing with intangible minds an easy and fluid task. When this ability is over-extended, it can be useful in creating relationships with intangible and non-existent minds.

(February 4, 2016 at 10:10 pm)athrock Wrote: Is it possible that God gave us brains that are pre-wired for receptivity to His existence to make it easier for us to believe in Him?

Possible, but unlikely.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Wink 
@OP

Why the deceptive thread title? a) you aren't an atheist, and b) someone who "can't shake God" is pretty much by definition not one either.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An atheist can blaspheme god Interaktive 8 1112 December 30, 2022 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Why did I (an atheist) legally change my name to "God"? GodBennett 33 3298 July 17, 2020 at 5:49 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Why did I (an atheist) change my name legally to "God"? GodBennett 0 3269 July 4, 2020 at 10:13 am
Last Post: GodBennett
  Why God is scientifically redefinable (an atheist article snippet) MadaraUchihuh 4 1400 March 10, 2017 at 9:24 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9680 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Can you persuade me from Agnostic to Atheist? AgnosticMan123 160 25402 June 6, 2016 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: Adam Blackstar
  Something to shake the very foundation of your lack of faith yukapuka 306 37968 January 18, 2016 at 9:04 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  How can someone convert from Atheist to Religious Heat 65 9521 November 26, 2015 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  How can Christians and Atheist respect each other's beliefs? Hezekiah 50 9147 October 5, 2014 at 2:47 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Can one be Atheist and Superstitious? Goosebump 45 6872 August 28, 2014 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox