Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 6:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, I'm Getting Confirmed
RE: So, I'm Getting Confirmed
Something about bees?
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
(January 4, 2014 at 3:48 am)ChildOfReason Wrote: So, within this month, I'm going to get confirmed into a presbytery. I'm not out to my parents as I'm atheist, so I have a bit of a problem here. I have to write a "statement of faith", an essay basically stating why I believe in god. I have another problem, I'm bad at making up arguments for my opposite viewpoint, even though I tend to lie pathologically. I may feel strongly about it, but I'm not actually going to mind the confirmation, it's just this "Statement of faith" that I'm going to have a lot of trouble with.
Coming out to my parents as an atheist is NOT an option, because they're these ridiculous, irrational, fundamentalists.
I still don't know how I love them.

I'll write it for you bro.
(January 8, 2014 at 3:51 pm)Godschild Wrote: It's not my fault you're not smart enough to understand what Christ means, that's what cherry picking does to one, makes them quite stupid.

GC

Let me get this straight, they provided scripture quotations, you replied with insults and no quotations.

Jesus was explaining a very basic principle that's explained in many scriptures, not just the Bible and that you seem to ignore. In existence, there is a hierarchy of power that goes like this:

1) God
2) The prophets appointed by God to the nations
3) The rest of the people

Jesus was a prophet appointed by God to the nations so he was superior to other people including your mother and your father. So if your parents tell you to follow something that Jesus told you to follow, you listen to your parents. If they tell you to follow something that Jesus forbids, there you don't follow. That's what it means.

Christians are the least qualified people to define Christ. You made such a big salad out of Christ's words and the Bible even you cannot understand it.
[Image: Untitled_1.jpg]
(January 8, 2014 at 3:51 pm)Godschild Wrote: It's not my fault you're not smart enough to understand what Christ means, that's what cherry picking does to one, makes them quite stupid.

GC

"Well, you're dumb!" - Godschild, 2014.

You, sir, are a fucking intellectual wasteland. You aren't even trying anymore.

Anyway, my point was that there's a biblical basis for caring about your religion more than your family, something you agreed with as you were disagreeing with me. Again, I understand that I didn't phrase it in the happy way you want me to, but doesn't the cognitive dissonance of telling me the bible doesn't say what it says and says what it says at the same time kind of... difficult, for you?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(January 7, 2014 at 12:02 am)Esquilax Wrote:
(January 6, 2014 at 5:35 pm)Lek Wrote: I don't think anyone who tells you to lie to your parents really cares about you. You say you love your parents. Don't you think they love you? You don't have to believe as they do, but that's no reason to turn against them. Obviously, you've never told them how you feel. Why do you think they're going to turn against you? Family is the tightest relationship you have. Think about what they've done for you during yur lifetime. No one is going to care more about you than family.

Wow, seriously? Lemme just...

Matthew 10-37 Wrote:He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

That's Jesus, speaking. See, that's the part you're missing; ideally, family would be the strongest bond you have, but christianity spends its time demanding that you prize the religion more than anything, family included; anyone who can say what you did evidently isn't so familiar with their bible.

I'm familiar with the verse. I hear Jesus telling them that they shouldn't love their faimily more that they love God. He didn't say anything about loving their relligion more than family. And he most certainly didn't say that we sholdn't love our family. If we love God, we love our family. Actuallu my comment about families helping children stay out of trouble was based on real life studies done on the subject, not on the bible.
(January 6, 2014 at 5:23 am)Godschild Wrote:
(January 4, 2014 at 2:37 pm)ChildOfReason Wrote: I love how all you can do is try to scare me with Hell. I'm sorry, YOUR Hell. You know there are tons of other Hells that you should be afraid of if you expect me to be afraid of YOUR Hell?
Here are the Hells you're going to.
Mictlan, Irkalla, Naraka, Annwn, Mag Mell, Diyu, Aaru, Duat, Neter-khertet, Amenti, Toonela, Hell (Germanic), Nilfheim, Asphodel, Tártaros (Might I add that the abrahamic religions ALSO have a Tártaros, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartarus#New_Testament), Echeide, Guayota, Yamalako, Patalo, Maski, Alvilág, Uka Pacha, Adlivun, Jahannam, Naar, Barzakh, Araf, Naraka, Adho Loka, Yomi, Jigoku, Sheol, Gehenna, Abaddon, Ji-Ok, Aizsaule , Alam Ghaib, Hawaiki, Rarohenga, Pellumawida, Degin, Wenuleufu, Ngullchenmaiwe, Metnal, Xibalba, Bulu, Burotu, Murimuria, Nabangatai, Tuma, Gimlé, Hel, Niflheim, Vingólf, Ekera, Duzakh, Kasanaan, Avaiki, Bulotu, Iva, Lua-o-Milu, Nga- Atua, Pulotu, Rangi Tuarea, Te Toi-o-nga-Ranga, Uranga-o-Te-Ra, Shipap, Inferno, Avernus, Orcus/Hadēs, Pluto, Nav, Podsvetie, Peklo, Dilmun, Kur, Irkalla, Hubur, Erlik, Guinee, and Hiyoyoa.

Still think I should fear your hell?

All non-believers should fear hell.

GC

Ladies and gentlemen, according to the most wise and intelligent GC, all of those who don't BELIEVE in hell should FEAR hell! Such a deep, wise, and brilliant statement that surpasses those of our most venerable ancestors and the greatest philosophers of the world! The great Democritus could not have stated something so true and bright!
Worship (large)

And remember, God demands NOTHING of you in the bible! Besides the devotion of your life and the unblinking unconditional faith in him.
¨I contend that we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.¨
All non-Pastafarians should FEAR UNDERCOOKED GRAINS!
(January 9, 2014 at 12:15 am)Lek Wrote: I'm familiar with the verse. I hear Jesus telling them that they shouldn't love their faimily more that they love God. He didn't say anything about loving their relligion more than family. And he most certainly didn't say that we sholdn't love our family. If we love God, we love our family. Actuallu my comment about families helping children stay out of trouble was based on real life studies done on the subject, not on the bible.

My observation is that one would have biblical backing- since it's the big book of multiple choice- for doing something bad to anyone who comes out as atheist in your family, especially when combined with all those verses telling you to kill nonbelievers.

However, I probably should have added that I was thinking specifically about getting kicked out of home, when I wrote that. It's not an uncommon theme, in circumstances like the OP.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(January 9, 2014 at 7:33 pm)ChildOfReason Wrote:
(January 6, 2014 at 5:23 am)Godschild Wrote: All non-believers should fear hell.

GC

Ladies and gentlemen, according to the most wise and intelligent GC, all of those who don't BELIEVE in hell should FEAR hell! Such a deep, wise, and brilliant statement that surpasses those of our most venerable ancestors and the greatest philosophers of the world! The great Democritus could not have stated something so true and bright!
Worship (large)

And remember, God demands NOTHING of you in the bible! Besides the devotion of your life and the unblinking unconditional faith in him.

You must have trouble with understanding the word should, hint, it does mean one is smart enough to... not that it you will.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(January 11, 2014 at 1:16 am)Godschild Wrote:
(January 9, 2014 at 7:33 pm)ChildOfReason Wrote: Ladies and gentlemen, according to the most wise and intelligent GC, all of those who don't BELIEVE in hell should FEAR hell! Such a deep, wise, and brilliant statement that surpasses those of our most venerable ancestors and the greatest philosophers of the world! The great Democritus could not have stated something so true and bright!
Worship (large)

You must have trouble with understanding the word should, hint, it does mean one is smart enough to... not that it you will.

GC

And why should I fear hell when you can not prove it exists?
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Xhristards - Getting Stupider Every Day Minimalist 10 1452 July 25, 2018 at 5:42 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Catholics getting rid of layers of bullshit. Whateverist 17 2730 September 16, 2016 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why do I waste time at Christian sites, I keep getting banned... SanDiegoGuy 55 8858 July 29, 2014 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: SanDiegoGuy
  Oklahomans getting Jesus-shot from convicted felon TaraJo 4 1808 March 9, 2014 at 2:09 am
Last Post: Mystical