Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, I'm Getting Confirmed
So, I'm Getting Confirmed
So, within this month, I'm going to get confirmed into a presbytery. I'm not out to my parents as I'm atheist, so I have a bit of a problem here. I have to write a "statement of faith", an essay basically stating why I believe in god. I have another problem, I'm bad at making up arguments for my opposite viewpoint, even though I tend to lie pathologically. I may feel strongly about it, but I'm not actually going to mind the confirmation, it's just this "Statement of faith" that I'm going to have a lot of trouble with.
Coming out to my parents as an atheist is NOT an option, because they're these ridiculous, irrational, fundamentalists.
I still don't know how I love them.
¨I contend that we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.¨
RE: So, I'm Getting Confirmed
From what I learned in in my composition and writing class, there is no right or wrong answer to an essay question as long as the question is answered with a thesis that answers the asked question in a manner that is elaborated sufficiently, written with good rhetorical skills, and is supported by evidence.
(January 4, 2014 at 3:48 am)ChildOfReason Wrote: So, within this month, I'm going to get confirmed into a presbytery. I'm not out to my parents as I'm atheist, so I have a bit of a problem here. I have to write a "statement of faith", an essay basically stating why I believe in god. I have another problem, I'm bad at making up arguments for my opposite viewpoint, even though I tend to lie pathologically. I may feel strongly about it, but I'm not actually going to mind the confirmation, it's just this "Statement of faith" that I'm going to have a lot of trouble with.
Coming out to my parents as an atheist is NOT an option, because they're these ridiculous, irrational, fundamentalists.

Big Grin does anyone else see the irony here?
(January 4, 2014 at 3:57 am)Belac Enrobso Wrote: From what I learned in in my composition and writing class, there is no right or wrong answer to an essay question as long as the question is answered with a thesis that answers the asked question in a manner that is elaborated sufficiently, written with good rhetorical skills, and is supported by evidence.

But... there's no evidence.

(January 4, 2014 at 4:00 am)Drich Wrote:
(January 4, 2014 at 3:48 am)ChildOfReason Wrote: So, within this month, I'm going to get confirmed into a presbytery. I'm not out to my parents as I'm atheist, so I have a bit of a problem here. I have to write a "statement of faith", an essay basically stating why I believe in god. I have another problem, I'm bad at making up arguments for my opposite viewpoint, even though I tend to lie pathologically. I may feel strongly about it, but I'm not actually going to mind the confirmation, it's just this "Statement of faith" that I'm going to have a lot of trouble with.

Big Grin does anyone else see the irony here?

Well, yes, the irony is pretty blatant.
Doesn't need much pointing out <,<
¨I contend that we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.¨
Your thesis can be about ANYTHING that could possibly answer the question asked in the essay, that's if it's a question. If it's a statement or a demand to be answered like "explain how sedentary lifestyles lead to people developing health issues" than the three things that I told you that you needed still apply, at least as far to my knowledge.
Do you know what your being asked/demanded to do in this essay specifically?

Fuck it. We all have to face unpleasant things in life, you're just getting a taste early. Make up something generic and non-specific, and just look forward to putting it behind you.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(January 4, 2014 at 4:06 am)Belac Enrobso Wrote: Your thesis can be about ANYTHING that could possibly answer the question asked in the essay, that's if it's a question. If it's a statement or a demand to be answered like "explain how sedentary lifestyles lead to people developing health issues" than the three things that I told you that you needed still apply, at least as far to my knowledge.
Do you know what your being asked/demanded to do in this essay specifically?

Give reasons why I should believe in god. Given that the church is objected to ANYTHING that isn't biblical literallism, it would be hell trying to write something... intelligent and rational. If even possible.
I suppose that it would be perfectly possible to make up some bullshit that is "not even wrong", so they confine to them to my argument (It works for deepak chopra). All I have to do is gish gallop a bit and then reach a ridiculous conclusion.

(January 4, 2014 at 4:09 am)rasetsu Wrote:

Fuck it. We all have to face unpleasant things in life, you're just getting a taste early. Make up something generic and non-specific, and just look forward to putting it behind you.

Well, that's certainly good advice, but I was kind of looking to learn from the people who are residents here and maybe some of the theists, some common christian arguments, that are obviously false, yet somehow people confine to them.
If it were me in your situation, I would take rasetsu's advice and just not worry about and put it past you. Hell if it were me I would fold my answer sheet, put it in my pocket, claim that I have a raging urge to piss like Russian race horse, run to the bathroom, spank and wank all over the answer sheet, and then run back to the class room and give my life's greatest contribution to God, EVER!
You know ChildofReason you can lie to people but, never to God, you might want to rethink what you're doing, things could get a lot worse than you might believe.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Just lie.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Xhristards - Getting Stupider Every Day Minimalist 10 1199 July 25, 2018 at 5:42 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Catholics getting rid of layers of bullshit. Whateverist 17 2441 September 16, 2016 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why do I waste time at Christian sites, I keep getting banned... SanDiegoGuy 55 7896 July 29, 2014 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: SanDiegoGuy
  Oklahomans getting Jesus-shot from convicted felon TaraJo 4 1707 March 9, 2014 at 2:09 am
Last Post: Mystical