Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 10, 2024, 6:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A small thanks to the resident Theists..
RE: A small thanks to the resident Theists..
(March 4, 2014 at 4:09 am)fr0d0 Wrote:
(March 3, 2014 at 11:54 pm)Luckie Wrote: That's the difference between what you believe and what the bible says, yes. If you want to say god is love and hell is just floof, then fine. But don't tell me I'm going to Abrahamic gods' hell for not believing in Jesus Wink

I'll answer that pretending it was aimed at me, as I'm unsure. You know I disagree. You call your god "frost god" for a start, which I think is a helpful separation. You're determined to hold on to what you believe rather than listen to reason. I don't think you've changed from your indoctrinated days.

Did I tell you that you're going to hell? No.

You would no doubt agree that doing bad stuff detracts from your life. And that's the Jesus message minus all of the stuff that scares you senseless.

Frost god is your god, Fr0d0. Don't know why you think otherwise. I know you like to think I had belief in a different god, because you can't explain why, when doing everything you say one should in order to find your god, I didn't find your god. Truth is, you haven't found the Abrahamic god either and have made up your own. You and GC's inconsistencies with the bible with regards to hell, prove that.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(March 5, 2014 at 7:34 pm)Luckie Wrote:
(March 4, 2014 at 4:09 am)fr0d0 Wrote: I'll answer that pretending it was aimed at me, as I'm unsure. You know I disagree. You call your god "frost god" for a start, which I think is a helpful separation. You're determined to hold on to what you believe rather than listen to reason. I don't think you've changed from your indoctrinated days.

You would no doubt agree that doing bad stuff detracts from your life. And that's the Jesus message minus all of the stuff that scares you senseless.

Frost god is your god, Fr0d0. Don't know why you think otherwise. I know you like to think I had belief in a different god, because you can't explain why, when doing everything you say one should in order to find your god, I didn't find your god. Truth is, you haven't found the Abrahamic god either and have made up your own. You and GC's inconsistencies with the bible with regards to hell, prove that.

The inconsistencies are about how hell works, we both agree that there is a hell and it's meant for the unsaved, so in the bigger picture we have like minds and why, simple, God. You need to widen your sight, looking at bits and pieces will not get you the truth.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Except that her goal was not to get to your truth, GC. You shifted goalposts without even telling her first. This particular discussion was about hell, and even that you were unable to address the way that Luckie had outlined. We understand if you just can't answer her questions, but totally ignoring them simply makes you look like a giant douche.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
Without the theists we wouldn't be having debates after all .
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
(March 5, 2014 at 7:34 pm)Luckie Wrote:
(March 4, 2014 at 4:09 am)fr0d0 Wrote: I'll answer that pretending it was aimed at me, as I'm unsure. You know I disagree. You call your god "frost god" for a start, which I think is a helpful separation. You're determined to hold on to what you believe rather than listen to reason. I don't think you've changed from your indoctrinated days.

As esq would say, don't tell me what I believe.

I thought you'd made progress and had managed to separate the garbage indoctrination that you're still sporting as a disbeliever, which is completely revealing, that it's so contradictory it can be the basis of an atheist POV.

Frost god is certainly nothing like my God. It seems you're incapable of letting that go. You haven't shown me one single reason to think that you searched for my God. You're bitter and twisted abominations look more like devil worship to me. Riddled with superstition and abuse. There is no greater proof that even as disperse as the Christians who frequent this forum are, we can all agree that you're wildly of the mark.

So do you think that doing bad stuff, unhealthy stuff both for your body and your mind detracts from your potential as a human? If you do, then you, then you're saying the same as Christianity says about sin. That's the point.

The abuse inflicted upon you by yourself and others is sin. It detracts from life.

Just remember that every time you bring up this same old argument. The answer doesn't change.
(March 6, 2014 at 12:51 am)Bad Writer Wrote: Except that her goal was not to get to your truth, GC. You shifted goalposts without even telling her first. This particular discussion was about hell, and even that you were unable to address the way that Luckie had outlined. We understand if you just can't answer her questions, but totally ignoring them simply makes you look like a giant douche.

There's not multiple truths about hell, only one, it's for the unforgiven.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(March 7, 2014 at 1:33 am)Godschild Wrote: There's not multiple truths about hell

GC

I don't agree with that. Some think hell is a real, physical place of fire and brimstone ... others think it is a separation from god - two different 'truths' there.
I can understand a god that would put people in hell because they refused to follow his commandments.

I can't understand a god that would put people in hell because they honestly could not find any compelling reason to believe he exists.

If there is a god, and there is a hell, all the theists on this forum are seriously mistaken by how it all works. Or god is just a psychopath. Take your pick.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(March 6, 2014 at 2:48 pm)fr0d0 Wrote:
(March 5, 2014 at 7:34 pm)Luckie Wrote: Frost god is your god, Fr0d0. Don't know why you think otherwise. I know you like to think I had belief in a different god, because you can't explain why, when doing everything you say one should in order to find your god, I didn't find your god. Truth is, you haven't found the Abrahamic god either and have made up your own. You and GC's inconsistencies with the bible with regards to hell, prove that.

As esq would say, don't tell me what I believe.

I thought you'd made progress and had managed to separate the garbage indoctrination that you're still sporting as a disbeliever, which is completely revealing, that it's so contradictory it can be the basis of an atheist POV.

Frost god is certainly nothing like my God. It seems you're incapable of letting that go. You haven't shown me one single reason to think that you searched for my God. You're bitter and twisted abominations look more like devil worship to me. Riddled with superstition and abuse. There is no greater proof that even as disperse as the Christians who frequent this forum are, we can all agree that you're wildly of the mark.

So do you think that doing bad stuff, unhealthy stuff both for your body and your mind detracts from your potential as a human? If you do, then you, then you're saying the same as Christianity says about sin. That's the point.

The abuse inflicted upon you by yourself and others is sin. It detracts from life.
Just remember that every time you bring up this same old argument. The answer doesn't change.

Listen here you little hobbit. I don't need to prove (and in your eyes could never prove) my prior belief system to you, in my eyes the burden of proof that I believed in a god other than the Abrahamic god, lies upon you; I have Biblical scriptural support for every frippery I voluntarily endured and was made to endure. Were it not for that stupid fucking book I still would have found love, forgiveness, humility, strength.. Just as I do now. You're on my Facebook; I invite you to ask my mom how I live my life as an atheist. I'm a better person now than I ever was, because when it comes right down to it the Bible is poison. Just look at you; you're in a forum full of people -rational, good natured people--and because you can't defend the Bible to any degree, you're telling a perfectly good woman she's 'of the mark' and was never a True Christian™…Yet another assertion you make without being able to support it biblically or in reality .

If you don't take the Bible literally, honestly, that's preferable in my eyes. But therin lies a double edged sword; you can't claim the bits you like, and ignore the parts you don't, then call others who take the Bible at its word not true believers.

(March 5, 2014 at 11:58 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(March 5, 2014 at 7:34 pm)Luckie Wrote: Frost god is your god, Fr0d0. Don't know why you think otherwise. I know you like to think I had belief in a different god, because you can't explain why, when doing everything you say one should in order to find your god, I didn't find your god. Truth is, you haven't found the Abrahamic god either and have made up your own. You and GC's inconsistencies with the bible with regards to hell, prove that.

The inconsistencies are about how hell works, we both agree that there is a hell and it's meant for the unsaved, so in the bigger picture we have like minds and why, simple, God. You need to widen your sight, looking at bits and pieces will not get you the truth.

GC

As of this moment you have yet to provide any Biblical support for your 'version' of hell. The inconsistency lies with you. If you have to water down hell to make yourself feel better about your friends and family going there, fine. You just might want to change your signature; its pure hypocricy.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(March 7, 2014 at 1:51 pm)Luckie Wrote: Listen here you little hobbit.

I lol'ed.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Funny video - Saturday Night Live - teen thanks god during thanksgiving Ferrocyanide 4 818 November 7, 2021 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Made in God’s image. Yuk. Not me thanks. Greatest I am 20 3172 July 25, 2020 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Dear Resident Theists Longhorn 271 64524 September 8, 2015 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Blind boy thanks he favourite deity for making him blind ReptilianPeon 12 3488 August 28, 2015 at 7:43 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Questions for theists (and ex-theists, too) Longhorn 15 5031 April 23, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: orangebox21
  Theists: What makes your claims right and the claims of other theists wrong? Ryantology 29 8501 March 21, 2014 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Phatt Matt s
  Um…Thanks (I think?) BrokenQuill92 7 1955 January 14, 2014 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Small wonder God/Allah/Vishnu 'has many faces' Rokcet Scientist 2 1451 September 21, 2011 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist
  A small gem.. Kayenneh 1 1081 May 25, 2011 at 1:04 pm
Last Post: Rayaan
  thanks, god. bozo 88 27139 April 16, 2009 at 3:18 pm
Last Post: Kyuuketsuki