Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Made in God’s image. Yuk. Not me thanks.

Yahweh, it is written, created us in his image.

He is described as a vile genocidal and infanticidal god, a demiurge to us Gnostics Christians, and is responsible for a religion that has become homophobic and misogynous and who grew Christianity by inquisitions and murder.

This is not surprising given that so many of Christianity’s moral tenets are immoral. Christianity lacks moral tenets with which to convert. It takes pressure and force to believe the weird Christian take on the otherwise decent Jewish beginnings of their religion and god. Christians should have usurped some decent god as without Midrash, Yahweh is more like an evil Satan than a good god.

If you think you are created in Yahweh’s image, and able to do his evil and good deeds, are you happy about it?

If you do not think you are up to Yahweh’s evil ways, are you happy about it?

Regards
DL
RE: Made in God’s image. Yuk. Not me thanks.
(July 22, 2020 at 1:32 pm)Greatest I am Wrote: Made in God’s image. Yuk. Not me thanks.

He is described as a vile genocidal and infanticidal god, a demiurge to us Gnostics Christians, and is responsible for a religion that has become homophobic and misogynous and who grew Christianity by inquisitions and murder.

This is not surprising given that so many of Christianity’s moral tenets are immoral. Christianity lacks moral tenets with which to convert. It takes pressure and force to believe the weird Christian take on the otherwise decent Jewish beginnings of their religion and god. Christians should have usurped some decent god as without Midrash, Yahweh is more like an evil Satan than a good god.

If you think you are created in Yahweh’s image, and able to do his evil and good deeds, are you happy about it?

Regards
DL

The Hebrew Character Yahweh started out as a lesser god in Canaanite polytheism.
"The Greeks looked upon the world and the gods as the work of an inscrutable necessity. A passable explanation: we may be content with it until we can get a better.

Again, Ormuzd and Ahriman are rival powers, continually at war. That is not bad. But that a God like Jehovah should have created this world of misery and woe, out of pure caprice, and because he enjoyed doing it, and should then have clapped his hands in praise of his own work, and declared everything to be very good—that will not do at all!" - Arthur Schopenhauer
"Zen … does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes." - Alan Watts
(July 22, 2020 at 1:38 pm)Porcupine Wrote: "The Greeks looked upon the world and the gods as the work of an inscrutable necessity. A passable explanation: we may be content with it until we can get a better.

Again, Ormuzd and Ahriman are rival powers, continually at war. That is not bad. But that a God like Jehovah should have created this world of misery and woe, out of pure caprice, and because he enjoyed doing it, and should then have clapped his hands in praise of his own work, and declared everything to be very good—that will not do at all!" - Arthur Schopenhauer

A good quote.

Regards
DL
(July 22, 2020 at 1:32 pm)Greatest I am Wrote: He is described as

If all Christians were sola scriptura literalists, this would be troubling. Fortunately that type of reading is fairly new, so there is a long tradition of dealing with the criticisms you make here.

Have you looked in to what Christians say about the violence described in the OT? There are various responses.

Offhand I recall two:

Augustine bases his belief on New Testament and Platonic principles, and so concludes that God is love and would be incapable of the violence you describe. For this reason, his hermeneutic for reading the OT is that any story that appears to be unloving is allegory -- defeat of enemies is converted to spiritual warfare against sin.

This may not be what the original authors of the OT had in mind, but it shows that important Christians reject the violence that you focus on.

Perhaps most interestingly, British antinomian groups decided that Jesus is the real God, and the God described in the OT is really Satan. They agreed with you that a God of violence and prescribed morality would be evil. 

Fortunately, Christianity is not monolithic, and large parts of it reject the violence described in the OT.
If we were made in god's image we'd either be invisible and non corporeal or we wouldn't exist.
Dying to live, living to die.
(July 22, 2020 at 5:13 pm)Belacqua Wrote:
(July 22, 2020 at 1:32 pm)Greatest I am Wrote: He is described as

If all Christians were sola scriptura literalists, this would be troubling. Fortunately that type of reading is fairly new, so there is a long tradition of dealing with the criticisms you make here.

Have you looked in to what Christians say about the violence described in the OT? There are various responses.

Offhand I recall two:

Augustine bases his belief on New Testament and Platonic principles, and so concludes that God is love and would be incapable of the violence you describe. For this reason, his hermeneutic for reading the OT is that any story that appears to be unloving is allegory -- defeat of enemies is converted to spiritual warfare against sin.

This may not be what the original authors of the OT had in mind, but it shows that important Christians reject the violence that you focus on.

Perhaps most interestingly, British antinomian groups decided that Jesus is the real God, and the God described in the OT is really Satan. They agreed with you that a God of violence and prescribed morality would be evil. 

Fortunately, Christianity is not monolithic, and large parts of it reject the violence described in the OT.

There are many variations of Christianity, for sure, but most believe in Jesus and scriptures say he will use genocide against all who do not bow to his governance when he returns.

They may want to have us think there is a new covenant, but it too begins with the murder of all detractors.

Christianity is a fascist regime and no opposition is allowed to live at some point in time.

Jesus makes a better candidate for a god, but if you look at his no divorce for women and substitutional punishment policies, you and all moral people would reject him.

Regards
DL

(July 22, 2020 at 5:14 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: If we were made in god's image we'd either be invisible and non corporeal or we wouldn't exist.

No corporeal sperm means that the virgin birth is a lie.

I do not describe god as invisible and non-corporeal because god to me is nature and all that is. I do have a small non-corporeal part to my definition of god. I also say that god is the best rules and life to live by.

Regards
DL
(July 22, 2020 at 1:32 pm)Greatest I am Wrote: Made in God’s image. Yuk. Not me thanks.

Regards
DL

Not to worry - God is made in OUR image. As Heinlein said, ‘Human beings rarely, if ever, manage to dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child.’

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Well, I have met some colossal fucktards in my travels, so, maybe, it is true.
(July 22, 2020 at 1:35 pm)Brian37 Wrote:

Regards
DL

The Hebrew Character Yahweh started out as a lesser god in Canaanite polytheism.

That makes sense. The Israelites were originally Canaanites.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The most disturbing image I saw in my life WinterHold 86 8415 April 16, 2023 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Funny video - Saturday Night Live - teen thanks god during thanksgiving Ferrocyanide 4 769 November 7, 2021 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Another "image" of Jesus goes viral Foxaèr 26 2666 May 21, 2019 at 4:54 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Made for TV/ about Cleveland abductions. Brian37 0 344 November 13, 2018 at 11:08 am
Last Post: Brian37
  An image for the Vorlon Foxaèr 2 599 September 22, 2018 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Moses parting the sea evidence or just made up Smain 12 2905 June 28, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Man creates in his own image Foxaèr 7 1096 June 14, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Amazon Alexa said Jesus/God is fake/made up/fictional? uncool 33 5535 February 2, 2018 at 12:05 am
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Do you think aliens made us Roberto 73 11626 January 25, 2018 at 5:30 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My dad made me laugh unintentionally Der/die AtheistIn 16 5959 January 2, 2018 at 2:12 am
Last Post: Athene