Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2024, 8:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objective Morality, Anyone?
RE: Objective Morality, Anyone?
(March 19, 2014 at 9:12 am)tor Wrote:
(March 19, 2014 at 9:09 am)bennyboy Wrote: Yes, but good health is not objectively important, and you have not yet actually demonstrated that something is objectively wrong with burning people alive. I really don't want to insult you, but I don't think you know what "objective" means in relation to "subjective." It does not mean "Commonly held among most people."

What does it mean then?
I think burning people alive is wrong even if nobody agrees with me. Truth is independent from what opinions of the majority.
Also morality is situational.
It would be objectively immoral for me to shoot bennyboy in the head just like that but it would not be immoral for me to shoot bennyboy in the head if he is running towards me with axe with intention to chop me into pieces.

Yet who makes that judgement? The universe? Or individual subjects who usually disagree with one another in their goals?
People make judgements but the judgements can be right or wrong. Just like math. Somebody can give wrong solution to the equation. Doesn't mean math is subjective.
(March 19, 2014 at 9:12 am)tor Wrote: It would be objectively immoral for me to shoot bennyboy in the head

No. It. Wouldn't.

This more is based on a world view in which suffering and death are bad, and in which bennyboy has some kind of intrinsic right to continue living. But there's no reason WHY this world view must necessarily be held.

-edit-
I described objectivity a couple posts back, but your comments imply that you didn't read that definition. If you are using a different definition, as you seem to be, then we can quote a dictionary, in which case I believe you will understand why all the arbitrary values and opinions you keep talking about do not fall under the definition of the word you keep wrongly using.
(March 19, 2014 at 9:12 am)tor Wrote: It would be objectively immoral for me to shoot bennyboy in the head just like that but it would not be immoral for me to shoot bennyboy in the head if he is running towards me with axe with intention to chop me into pieces.

It might be immoral, if you are a good enough marksman to hit his head, you might just as well aim for a easier to hit, and less lethal, target.
(March 19, 2014 at 9:15 am)bennyboy Wrote:
(March 19, 2014 at 9:12 am)tor Wrote: It would be objectively immoral for me to shoot bennyboy in the head

No. It. Wouldn't.

This more is based on a world view in which suffering and death are bad, and in which bennyboy has some kind of intrinsic right to continue living. But there's no reason WHY this world view must necessarily be held.

Is it wrong for people to kick the shit out you for fun?
(March 19, 2014 at 9:16 am)tor Wrote: Is it wrong for people to kick the shit out you for fun?
Of course it's wrong, according to most people. But not objectively so.
(March 19, 2014 at 9:15 am)tor Wrote: People make judgements but the judgements can be right or wrong. Just like math. Somebody can give wrong solution to the equation. Doesn't mean math is subjective.

Yes and how do we determine if they're right or wrong? What's your objective methodology for evaluating the following moral statements:

Murdering children is the greatest pleasure I know.

Murdering children is grotesquely immoral.
Ok I give up.
Pickup if somebody teleports you 1000 years in the past and leaves you there what are you gonna do?
Find the nearest McDonalds?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(March 19, 2014 at 9:27 am)Tonus Wrote: Find the nearest McDonalds?

ROFLOL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 3101 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 4225 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 14302 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 47979 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1676 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
  Objective Standard for Goodness! chimp3 33 6625 June 14, 2018 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 9479 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 4074 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 15242 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 5016 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm