Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 6:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggested Rule
RE: Suggested Rule
(April 29, 2014 at 7:05 am)Revelation777 Wrote: Would you resort to such language or insults in a formal debate let's say in front of a crowd at a reputable university?

What does it even matter? We're not at a fucking university. We're on an internet forum! What planet are you living on?
(April 29, 2014 at 8:00 am)Napoléon Wrote: What does it even matter? We're not at a fucking university. We're on an internet forum! What planet are you living on?

It not be a bad idea for christians to have their own planet, with good climate and perfect stuff. Anywhere but this place, I guess.
(April 27, 2014 at 10:47 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: I would like to suggest that members are encouraged to respect one another, refrain from using foul language, and insults. If this happens repeatingly that the member be warned.

The JREF forum is moderated for language. You might try there, though it's specifically a skeptics forum rather than an atheist one, there's a lot of overlap.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(April 29, 2014 at 9:45 am)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(April 27, 2014 at 10:47 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: I would like to suggest that members are encouraged to respect one another, refrain from using foul language, and insults. If this happens repeatingly that the member be warned.

The JREF forum is moderated for language. You might try there, though it's specifically a skeptics forum rather than an atheist one, there's a lot of overlap.

Sounds like I have to play by your rules or I'm out.Walk the plank!
My honorable friend from the land of Woo has asked any number of times that we not disrespect his god. I'm not sure how many times I've answered that just isn't possible. What does not take a breath cannot take offense.

At the same time I've asked that scriptures not be posted without hide tags. They burn my eyes and induce nausea. Seems like we could work something out.
(April 29, 2014 at 10:52 am)Revelation777 Wrote: Sounds like I have to play by your rules or I'm out.Walk the plank!

Errr... welcome to the internet?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(April 29, 2014 at 10:52 am)Revelation777 Wrote: Sounds like I have to play by your rules or I'm out.Walk the plank!

If I was debating in your church and my entire position was "christianity is wrong," and my sources were all known conmen from other religions who presupposed that everyone else was wrong and they were always right, would you respect my debating style?

Would you appreciate my continuing to speak?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Rev, if you want to stay here, you're going to have to reject the god of the bible and adopt some new gods: The AF.org Mods!
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(April 29, 2014 at 11:04 am)Bad Wolf Wrote: Rev, if you want to stay here, you're going to have to reject the god of the bible and adopt some new gods: The AF.org Mods!

I know that that is not one of the rules.
Well .. it should be.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eliminate Automatic Insertion of Horizontal Rule Neo-Scholastic 21 3241 November 29, 2017 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Question about latest forum rule Catholic_Lady 29 5094 November 14, 2017 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Alternative to "click bait" rule: block threads robvalue 40 6194 February 6, 2017 at 1:38 am
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Trolling rule Excited Penguin 61 7903 November 19, 2016 at 8:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  R'lyeh rule Excited Penguin 54 6070 February 17, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Report System Abuse Rule Excited Penguin 20 3634 February 15, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  30/30 Rule Pyrrho 31 8199 February 22, 2015 at 2:21 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Am I breaking a forum rule? Something completely different 2 2271 August 20, 2013 at 11:44 am
Last Post: CleanShavenJesus
  [split] Discussion About Potential Rule Change and Staff Action Shell B 94 44212 June 2, 2012 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  A forum rule Emporion 10 5187 August 5, 2011 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Napoléon